New chambering for 28 Nosler

FWIW, I’m shooting a 28 NOS with a suppressor (no brake) and don’t have a big problem with recoil. I think a 30/28 NOS would be similar.

After having some issues with my 28 Nosler, my gunsmith confirmed the barrel is shot.

I have other 7mm rifles and am considering a 30 or 338 chambering this time. I will be loading for whatever I decide.

Curious what options you all might suggest?
Out of curiosity, how many rounds did you have on your 28 Nosler barrel? Thanks

28 sherman magnum!
Which is essentially a 7x300prc improved
Those 190 class 7mm bullets are pretty hard to beat at the speeds possible. Recoil would less than something 338 flavor.

338EDGE is no wimp! But single feeding to make one work on your action is kinda silly IMO. I'm not a fan of being in the woods and having to bottle feed a rifle so that I can get the most performance.

If I was in your situation and wanted to shoot a big magnum I'd work on the magazine length issue first. Get a magazine that will hold 3.850" and then pick a cartridge that doesn't have to be shoe horned in it to work.

28 sherman magnum!
Which is essentially a 7x300prc improved
Those 190 class 7mm bullets are pretty hard to beat at the speeds possible. Recoil would less than something 338 flavor.

338EDGE is no wimp! But single feeding to make one work on your action is kinda silly IMO. I'm not a fan of being in the woods and having to bottle feed a rifle so that I can get the most performance.

If I was in your situation and wanted to shoot a big magnum I'd work on the magazine length issue first. Get a magazine that will hold 3.850" and then pick a cartridge that doesn't have to be shoe horned in it to work.
Thanks Duckman. I agree that single feed is not a good idea. We are going to work within the magazine. Coincidentally, the gunsmith had pulled it saturday and measured about 3.9". He thinks I should be good to load to 3.850", so good call!

I would stay with 28 Nosler, and your powder choice or barrel choice has limited your barrel life. Of course, how fast you shot off the bench or if you are a steel shooter has a dramatic impact on the barrel life.

N500 series of powders are addictive when you have a new barrel, but they eat barrels. H1000 will greatly enhance your barrel life, so will N160 and N165.

Recoil goes up significantly if you go larger than 28 nosler. A 13.5 lb 28 nosler with brake is my limit on recoil.

As others have said. 30-28 nosler. Batter barrel life, no slouch in ballistics, you’ve already got the dies and brass, no need to single feed. All around winner here. I’ve got a 26” 300 nmi and still considering a 20-22” 30-28 to replace my 300 prc

So I picked up my rifle from the gunsmith, as I wasn't confident in what I was hearing. The symptoms that led to me bringing it up included very tight bolt close on cartridges and a good load that started shooting poorly (went from 1/5 moa to 2+ moa). He said that my bullets were seated into the rifling and that the barrel was shot out. He also said that I'd probably need to change the stock, magazine, and barrel to change cartridges.
None of this added up as I'd shot the load many times and factory ammo had the same difficult bolt close.

Brought the rifle home and inspected with a recently purchased Teslong bore scope (if you don't have one, I highly recommend getting one). With the bore scope watching where the neck meets the chamber, I slowly chambered a prepped but empty piece of brass. The neck of the brass was seating into a carbon ring that clearly built up to the point that it was squeezing the neck on each round (hence the heavy bolt close).
The bore had fire cracking just barely into the rifling... maybe 1/2" - 3/4" from the neck of the brass, which is all covered by the bullet prior to firing. Lands and grooves looked fine after that.

I spent 3 hours last night working on cleaning the carbon ring and got 80- 90% of it. I left it soaking overnight and will finish it today. I suspect it will shoot fine after that. If so, I'll wait until it is truly dead before changing the barrel/ cartridge.

Biggest lessons learned are don't shoot a gun that isn't acting right and make sure you trust your gunsmith. The carbon ring likely increased the neck tension, causing the erratic POI's, and potentially dangerous. Had the gunsmith truly scoped and inspected the gun, he would have found this.

Did you call him back and ask him about the carbon ring? I would probably start asking some questions about what he actually did, especially when he was going through the motions of having a whole new rifle built with all new parts.