Never hunt with a clean rifle specially long range

Is this consistent with copper monolithics?

I'm not exactly a long range hunter or much experienced with that but have not noticed a change in POI with the Hammer bullets even out to 500yds practicing, I typically clean after every range session and the first shots next session is always right on.

I'm not exactly a long range hunter or much experienced with that but have not noticed a change in POI with the Hammer bullets even out to 500yds practicing, I typically clean after every range session and the first shots next session is always right on.
Don't know I don't use solids?
Also, every gun act different. This one was pretty dramatic.

Last edited:
I had my 7PRC sighted dead on at 400yds with the Berger 180 Hybrid bullets. I took it home and cleaned it to bare steel, which took a combo of BT Eliminator, bronze brushing and some Flitz. Went back to the range with the same ammo and fired an initial shot. Impact was 1" left but 6" high. :rolleyes: It took 6 rounds to get that rifle to print back where I left off the day prior. I expected the POI to have shifted but I did not expect a 6" shift.

Fouling matters!!

Not nonexistent. I have one that I have only shot hammers out of and it moved from a hard carbon cleaning. Took a bit to calm it back down.

I watched a video where Speedy used a patch of Lock Ease down the barrel after cleaning his rifle . He explained he thought it helped lessen the severity of the flyers after cleaning , the colloidal graphite in the Lock Ease.
I am curious as to what you think ?

Thanks for posting, extremely interesting! I would think at 100 yards it would be pretty close, clean or fouled? At what range do you think this really starts showing?

I watched a video where Speedy used a patch of Lock Ease down the barrel after cleaning his rifle . He explained he thought it helped lessen the severity of the flyers after cleaning , the colloidal graphite in the Lock Ease.
I am curious as to what you think ?
Dry graphite bought in bulk bag from Amazon, run through the bore on a saturated patch, will prevent 1st shot flyers. I've tested many, many times. Problem with lock ease (Colloidal graphite) is that it doesn't always completely dry in the bore.

Obviously I don't have the same experience or expertise as James but in some of my better shooting rifles out to 300yds I really can't detect any difference. It could very well be a barrel thing or that it really doesn't show at that "short" range.

Having said that... With some of my rifles even at 100yds there is a noticeable difference in clean vs fouled.

Safe to say I'd certainly follow his advice regardless if I was hunting much beyond 300yds.

Over the past few years I've been using Pro-Shot 1-Step in my bores after thorough cleaning and then one dry patch through the bore at the range or before taking the rifle hunting. I think that has helped my clean cold bore accuracy.

Here in Florida it's not as safe to leave your bore dirty due to our sometimes extreme humidity and the chance of rust forming under the fouling which can hold moisture.

I have started using a dehumidifier in my home to cut back on the moisture and keep my levels below 38% all the time now.

In my long range competition rifles I clean every 500-600 rounds. For some reason they like to run dirty , my hunting rifles I usually run several through them after cleaning just cause. When power cleaning I use butches bore shine and it stinks to high heaven!! But works great