Pleasant surprises with my old .270 winnie

Mr. Magoo

TL;DR: 1:10 twist .270 winchester at 7750 ft elevation can sling lonnnng 170 grain bullets seated super long with great stability at 2915 fps with a big charge of VV n560 out of a 22" barrel. Blew my mind how little case volume this powder takes up.

Rifle: late 80's Remington 700 ADL, 22" 1:10 twist barrel. (My first big game rifle) Brass: early 90s vintage remington. Primers: CCI large rifle.

Most bullets that would stabilize (or so I thought) in the 1:10 are not exactly high bc wonders so I've been seriously hankering for a 7 prc just to try to stretch my comfortable bullet energy range a bit. Alas, I'm a farmer (read not wealthy) and a tinkerer. My favorite thing to do is try to achieve great results with stuff I already have, on the cheap.... so while goofing around with berger's stability calculator I found that their 170gr elite hunter/ extreme outer limit bullets (.336 g7 BC) were rated as 'very stable' out of my 1:10 twist barrel *at my elevation* (7750'). So I bought a box to play with, and some VV N560 powder (next best thing to RL26).

These bullets are 1.5" long, but my mag box is incredibly long- I can seat as long as I want- and my throat is really long apparently, so seating depth with the burger's boat tail to body junction seated only .250 into the case neck still gives me about .70 thou jump.

Worked up a load starting at burger's indicated minimum and found it to be so light that it was clearly not pressuring up properly judging by how the firing pin dent looked on the primer. Jumping up a few grains, then some careful working up a loooong ways with a ladder test got me up to normal pressures and found a couple nodes. One a good ways below max, and a nice wide one from comfortably below max right up to max with the fps only varying 15 fps for 1 full grain.

Settled on the middle of the node @ 2915 fps. Brass looks great, primers look about like the factory Remington primers after firing, so far pockets are nice and tight still. Need to do some more testing but first groups are printing 3/8 to 1/2". The wind started howling by the time I was finishing up and they opened up to 1" but I think I found my load.

These bullets at 2915 out the pipe are still well over supersonic at 1800 yards, and retain 1432 ft lbs energy at 1000 yards, and 1700 ft lb at 800 yards.

The N560 is not filling the case like the load info I have says it should. 58.9 grains is only getting to just below the bottom of the case neck junction- far from compressed- book says it should be 102% case fill at the recommended max of 55. 5 grains.

With the less volumous powder and the super long COAL, I'm able to stuff way more powder in there without pressure than berger's load info says I should. Still a bit stumped as to why, other than possibly my remington brass must have much more volume than brass berger used to get their info.

Really digging this n560.

I got me to wondering: had anybody else has found such good results from this bullet/ powder combo?

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I read that about n560 after buying it. I got some 565 and 570 but didn't find any 568.

The nice thing is loading right now, it will only get colder for hunting season. I may grab some 568 for summertime shooting.

I was surprised to find that after a 6 shot string that my barrel was still coolish. Everything I read was that it was a barrel burner but it's not seeming like that at all.

I think before I get too far into this project I'm going to test the temp stability. I really like the speed I'm getting, would be a shame if I couldn't use it in the summer without using a lighter load.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I read that about n560 after buying it. I got some 565 and 570 but didn't find any 568.

The nice thing is loading right now, it will only get colder for hunting season. I may grab some 568 for summertime shooting.

I was surprised to find that after a 6 shot string that my barrel was still coolish. Everything I read was that it was a barrel burner but it's not seeming like that at all.

I think before I get too far into this project I'm going to test the temp stability. I really like the speed I'm getting, would be a shame if I couldn't use it in the summer without using a lighter load.
You ought to be a salesman because you are making me want to get my 270 out and give your load a try

A 6 shot string in a Remington factory sporter and the barrel was coolish?

TL;DR: 1:10 twist .270 winchester at 7750 ft elevation can sling lonnnng 170 grain bullets seated super long with great stability at 2915 fps with a big charge of VV n560 out of a 22" barrel. Blew my mind how little case volume this powder takes up.

Rifle: late 80's Remington 700 ADL, 22" 1:10 twist barrel. (My first big game rifle) Brass: early 90s vintage remington. Primers: CCI large rifle.

Most bullets that would stabilize (or so I thought) in the 1:10 are not exactly high bc wonders so I've been seriously hankering for a 7 prc just to try to stretch my comfortable bullet energy range a bit. Alas, I'm a farmer (read not wealthy) and a tinkerer. My favorite thing to do is try to achieve great results with stuff I already have, on the cheap.... so while goofing around with berger's stability calculator I found that their 170gr elite hunter/ extreme outer limit bullets (.336 g7 BC) were rated as 'very stable' out of my 1:10 twist barrel *at my elevation* (7750'). So I bought a box to play with, and some VV N560 powder (next best thing to RL26).

These bullets are 1.5" long, but my mag box is incredibly long- I can seat as long as I want- and my throat is really long apparently, so seating depth with the burger's boat tail to body junction seated only .250 into the case neck still gives me about .70 thou jump.

Worked up a load starting at burger's indicated minimum and found it to be so light that it was clearly not pressuring up properly judging by how the firing pin dent looked on the primer. Jumping up a few grains, then some careful working up a loooong ways with a ladder test got me up to normal pressures and found a couple nodes. One a good ways below max, and a nice wide one from comfortably below max right up to max with the fps only varying 15 fps for 1 full grain.

Settled on the middle of the node @ 2915 fps. Brass looks great, primers look about like the factory Remington primers after firing, so far pockets are nice and tight still. Need to do some more testing but first groups are printing 3/8 to 1/2". The wind started howling by the time I was finishing up and they opened up to 1" but I think I found my load.

These bullets at 2915 out the pipe are still well over supersonic at 1800 yards, and retain 1432 ft lbs energy at 1000 yards, and 1700 ft lb at 800 yards.

The N560 is not filling the case like the load info I have says it should. 58.9 grains is only getting to just below the bottom of the case neck junction- far from compressed- book says it should be 102% case fill at the recommended max of 55. 5 grains.

With the less volumous powder and the super long COAL, I'm able to stuff way more powder in there without pressure than berger's load info says I should. Still a bit stumped as to why, other than mybrwmington brass must have more volume than what berger used to get their info.

I got me to wondering: had anybody else has found such good results from this bullet/ powder combo?
I haven't with a270 but I use in my 7PRC with a 195 Berger running 2910 in 22" barrel carbon Bartlein

With the less volumous powder and the super long COAL, I'm able to stuff way more powder in there without pressure than berger's load info says I should. Still a bit stumped as to why, other than mybrwmington brass must have more volume than what berger used to get their info.

I always thought that the n565 was closest to RL26.

Hot dog! Another .270 looking good! .270 TH looking for more friends! The .270 Win in 700 or clone actions can really shine when able to seat bullets out with sufficient freebore. The hated long neck is now a huge benefit allowing seating bullets long. Its a 65K cartridge and let it "breathe" to max its potential!

Awesome that is working out well! As for the load not being compressed. I would bet that is due to your long throat. Normally even a 130 would be seated at or below the neck junction a bit. I have owned 2 of those in the past and one had a long throat as well and of course, a long box mag to go with it. Both were great shooters!

My Remington 700 ADL 270 factory 22" barrel is a 1974 vintage. I am just running the 150 ABLR close to 3000 and I thought that was special. They do look comically long I think my COAL is 3.56 if I remember correctly. Made room for plenty of RL23 which by all accounts has been stable for temp and the gun shoots way better than it should knowing how many rounds have been through it.

Playing with stability calculation my elevation makes anything heavier a likely no go. Just about @ sea level.

Last edited: