Need help way way over pressure on near minimum powder

Yeah, that is FAST for that cartridge design. I measure primer pockets a lot with gage pins and my Nosler brass went bye bye real quick with 2920 fps loads with 175 Noslers or 180 bergers. It was powder and tight necks primarily. H1000 powder may be the lead suspect or its a bad lot for what speeds and weight powder you've been throwing. At least question that. Then do look at everything else before shooting new powder. I have some powders you can try some simple lower pressure ladder loads that are slower burn rates than H1000. I also have a Labradar we can shoot over.
Oh also I have a magneto and the ONLY reason I opted to not use it is because I was seeing impact shifts a few moa up so I wanted to get groups first without it to see what was best then chrono them to find my data this is why I made 2 batches of each grain level 3 loaded each now I wish I just used the magneto this mother is probably 3300 3400... and the history this gun was wildly inaccurate up until I finally achieved sub moa it took way too much to get down to that level

Last edited:
Something to ponder: Savage rifles, i had 7RM, have chambers that are sometimes closer to minimum SAAMI spec? Where as a Remington loaded round might be fine, but a Federal might have a heavy bolt lift?!

Agree, do not assume that factory ammunition should all work. May want to call savage. I had a rem 700 brand new in 300 WM. 17 of the first 20 cartridges (factory Winchester super X) required a force multiplier (2x4) to open the bolt. 20/20 chambered without the slightest amount of extra force. You may just have a small chamber/throat. I sent it back to Remington. From what they told me, the reamed the chamber again and sent it back to me. I never had the slightest issue again.

Something to ponder: Savage rifles, i had 7RM, have chambers that are sometimes closer to minimum SAAMI spec? Where as a Remington loaded round might be fine, but a Federal might have a heavy bolt lift?!
ALL of my Savages are near minimum specs and show velocity at less powder than most ALL other factory guns I have helped setup.

They are near minimum spec because of how they install the barrel. The issue he may be seeing is that the 7mm rem mag head spaces off of the belt. So a go/no-go gauge wont tell you anything about the shoulder of the chamber.

Status update for you guys... so savage has replaced the bolt and all parts in it... they found burrs in the chamber recut the chamber and the throat fired it last week and could not get the gun to perform even after that... so they are putting a new barrel on it not sure if they are going to just replace they entire gun at this point....

As a side note I bought a Krieger barrel blank custom taper and fluted its waiting at my house for the gun to come back so my Smith can chamber it.... basically if anyone needs a brand new factory barrel hahaha it's for sale

Glad to hear a follow up on the rifle I too had a savage 7mm rem mag that wouldn't shoot anything I put in it (no pressure signs like what your seeing just wouldn't group) Long story short I traded it for a Mossberg patriot in 6.5 Creed and very happy.

Glad to hear a follow up on the rifle I too had a savage 7mm rem mag that wouldn't shoot anything I put in it (no pressure signs like what your seeing just wouldn't group) Long story short I traded it for a Mossberg patriot in 6.5 Creed and very happy.
My gunsmith said the belted magnums are notorious for improper throats and are far too tight for spacing

Thanks for visiting weeks ago. It's a beautiful set up, but the Krieger with your desired chambering will make this shoot. Hoping the action is squared up or at least verified while in the factory repair cycle. Savages just shoot well normally. Really confused as to why this has gone back and forth for these problems.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.