Is your favorite rifle custom made or factory made ? I have a close tie

My fav is an old Win Pre64 Featherweight in .30-06. Bought it when I was 19 years old. It has been to Africa 4 times and always closes the deal. I do have a rifle I'm in the process of building right now which may or may not turn out to be my favorite. See attached photo. I've put a lot of time into it and it's getting close. As soon as I get the stock finished, I'll take it to the range and regulate the 3 leaf sights, then It'll be rust blued. I love blue steel and walnut and traditional looks. It's in .275 Rigby (7x57mm)
FullSizeRender 4.jpeg
Namibia 164.jpg

My favorite is a 300wsm from HS Precision that my wife bought me when we were first dating 25 years ago. It's been my go to rifle for elk hunting ever since. My other is a relatively new Marlin 1895 safe queen in 50 Alaskan that I had made a few years back. I went crazy and had Turnbull color case hardening and a fancy piece of walnut put on it. Want to take a bison with it.

Attachments

• 20220515_192740.jpg
    20220515_192740.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 32
  • 20220515_192839.jpg
    20220515_192839.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 26
My favourite currently is a custom switch barrel on 2 identical trued REM 700's. They have barrels in 264WM 8" twist 29.5", 270 Weatherby 10" twist 28", 7STW 9.25" twist 26" & 338WM 10" twist 26". I also have barrels in 300WM, 6.5-300 Weatherby (unfinished) that will screw on the above actions. A 300/340/375 Weatherby on a Win Model 70 switch barrel Classic Stainless that is equal favourite.
I have several switch barrels, for me and our draconian laws it makes sense, an action can have as many barrels as you want, but complete rifle numbers are restricted.

Cheers.

My favorite rifle is any rifle that shoots well and that I shoot well. I like my customs, but to be honest I am just as happy with several savage and browning rifles I have that shoot good for closer shots.

Favorite is my dads 30'06 1982 Remington 700 BDL. It just shoots lights out with Sierra psp, 1.5 group at 300 with a Redfield fixed 6 power. I always held it in an almost god like rifle and every other rifle falls short.

I guess that I'd call it "semi-custom"…….it's not a "full blown custom rifle"! But, I think that it's a pretty decent hunting rifle!

I'm glad that I got it when I did, though in 1990 the money I spent it was a bunch at that time……just under $1900 complete with the scope. Though I could've saved around $180.00, if I hadn't bought that muzzle brake! 🤦‍♂️ I had a divorce coming on rapidly…and knew at the time it was "now or never"! Money that I'll never regret spending!

Seeing what some of you boys spend on a complete rifle package…..I could buy a darn nice used car for less! There's no way that I could justify those expenses on a rifle……but, for many, it's an easy justification! There's no way to put a $ sign on passion! memtb

Last edited:
It's tough for me to pick a favorite sometimes. I've only had one custom built thus far. It gets most of my attention and brings a smile to my face on fit, finish and performance. I will say the 308win in a Browning Xbolt still gets a nod for deep woods nasty weather days on whitetail hunts. I don't keep any rifle these days for sentimental purposes. I was not lucky enough to receive rifles as gifts or inheritance.