Need help picking first AR

I've never been very impressed with red dot type sites/scopes. I'm sure they are fine for what they were really designed for, CQB 50yrds and under with minute of body sized targets. Having said that, I think one top mounted over the scope as a backup would be a nice addition for when the unexpected coyote or whatever shows up at point blank range and you have to make a snap shot. My vote would be a LPVO. Second would be the setup from burris that has scope and topmounted holo site plus full ring/scope mount all in one package. Give me a few and I'll look up the right one I'm thinking of lol.

I hate to say it, but I have 3 different etched reticle redots from Primary Arms, started with a 1x on a 9mm PCC AR, fell in love, now I have a 3x and a 5x on two different 223 Wylde builds, things are tough and they have a fast focus diopter, the reticles are actually usable, depending on which one you get, they have shake awake, the reticles work even with a dead battery and red or green illumination.

I wasn't 100%but sure I would like a 1x or even a 3x, but dang do they work. The 1x on the 9mm is both eyes open and it comes with enough risers you can make it work with anything.

I hate to say it, but I have 3 different etched reticle redots from Primary Arms, started with a 1x on a 9mm PCC AR, fell in love, now I have a 3x and a 5x on two different 223 Wylde builds, things are tough and they have a fast focus diopter, the reticles are actually usable, depending on which one you get, they have shake awake, the reticles work even with a dead battery and red or green illumination.

I wasn't 100%but sure I would like a 1x or even a 3x, but dang do they work. The 1x on the 9mm is both eyes open and it comes with enough risers you can make it work with anything.
Thanks for the review Darrel. Do you prefer the 3X or 5X on your Wylde builds ?

Congrats on getting your AR. Everyone needs at least one. My ignorance will show on AR's, but they are blast to shoot. Many moons ago I bought the Ruger SR556 and it has served me well. I thought I would reload for it and have loaded a few, but it just shoots the cheap PMC stuff well enough that my dies are gathering dust. I originally had an Eotech holographic on it, but now it has an inexpensive 1-4 mounted. I've thought about upgrading the scope with a better 1-6 or 1-8, but the cheap 1-4 just keeps on working acceptably out to 100.

Thanks for the review Darrel. Do you prefer the 3X or 5X on your Wylde builds ?

The 3x is just about perfect for the ranges I use it. Good glass, plenty of eye relief and it gets on target quickly. It was nothing more than a ride around the farm and late night piggy patrol or chicken coop thief rifle. The 5x works good for me during the day, but at night I get tunnel vision from closing my left eye, it also makes me want to use the rifle far beyond what I am capable of reliably doing. The glass and sight picture are great and eye relief is good, I just want to reach out further with this upper. So, I plan on swapping it out for a 1 - 6 or 1 - 8 to hunt with.

At one time PA made a 2.5x version, but have dropped it for some reason. I would have loved to try one.

I was apprehensive about their reticles, but I have to admit, they work and don't appear as cluttered to me as the pictures make it seem.

There's just not a lot of etched reticle choices for those of us afflicted with astigmatism.

I also have astigmatism in both eyes. My left eye is worse due to an injury when I was young. But I still am able to use traditional red dots and holo sights. I just decrease the brightness until I can still see them but without the flaring that is associated with astigmatism. I think those sight you use are the prism sights from PA. Those are supposed to work better for those with astigmatism. I had a Trijicon ACOG at one time and they do work well. I'd like to try one of the PA prisms in the Glx series. I really like the aurora reticles but I think those are only available in the Slx series.

They are prism. I have tried numerous redots, Holosun absolutely will not work, regardless of illumination setting, the dot looks elliptical. Irons won't work because of the lenses installed when I had the cataracts removed, so that compounds the problem. There are few redots that have an adjustable diopter, so that eliminates a large portion of sights for me.

My experience is an outlier. Also, in the future, I will be buying the 1x versions and adding a magnifier.

That may be a moot point, as the exactness of magnification on the low end of true 1x -?x LPVOs improve I will be heading that way for hunting rifles and sticking with the prisms for close range scenarios.

They are prism. I have tried numerous redots, Holosun absolutely will not work, regardless of illumination setting, the dot looks elliptical. Irons won't work because of the lenses installed when I had the cataracts removed, so that compounds the problem. There are few redots that have an adjustable diopter, so that eliminates a large portion of sights for me.

My experience is an outlier. Also, in the future, I will be buying the 1x versions and adding a magnifier.

That may be a moot point, as the exactness of magnification on the low end of true 1x -?x LPVOs improve I will be heading that way for hunting rifles and sticking with the prisms for close range scenarios.
Yeah I also get that elliptical dot issue but I just don't let it bother me. And as I said I just turn down the illumination and it decreases the problem for ME. It may not for others and that's fine. All of our eyes are different so what works for me may not for others. I simply state what I do in the efforts that it may work for others.

My new AR has a 1/7 twist. I sighted in with 55 grain bullets and shot well but this was only 100 yards. I was going to order some heavier bullets to try and looking for suggestions on bullet weight.
What weight is everyone shooting?
Thanks for suggestions
In mag lengths 75's are the heaviest I shoot (Hornady 75bthp & Speer 75tmj). All are 8 twist, but do have 1 w/7.