Need help picking first AR

I've been doing some research on the 223 wylde and really haven't seen any benefits. It seems like all AR's chambered in 5.56 will function fine with 223. I read that accuracy can be worse when shooting 223 from a 5.56 compared to the 5.56 ammo. Anyone with real world experience of this? Or is there benefits of 223 wylde that I am missing?
I had a buddy with an AR that wasn't 100% reliable with 5.56 ammo, it was a bushmaster I think. He ended up running a reamer in it, just had the very smallest of shavings. It ran great with everything after that.

And to your original question about an AR. I really like a psa for entry level.

Last edited:
Hello, I'm looking at getting a AR and looking for some suggestions on brands to look into.
Looking to get something off the shelf and not build one although I may add some goodie's later on. Not going to be used for hunting purposes and would want it chambered in 223/5.56. I do reload but am not interested in reloading for this. It'll be bulk ammo whether it's fmj or sp.
I would like to add a scope onto this. Seems like 16" barrel is the norm.
As for price I would like to keep it in the $900-$1300 range if at all possible.
Thanks for any assistance and if I have forgotten any important info just let me know.
Super easy Ruger, or SW. Get it all done well under your budget. Throw a $11 JP spring kit in it and laugh at those spending 3 times the amount for the same results.

I've been doing some research on the 223 wylde and really haven't seen any benefits. It seems like all AR's chambered in 5.56 will function fine with 223. I read that accuracy can be worse when shooting 223 from a 5.56 compared to the 5.56 ammo. Anyone with real world experience of this? Or is there benefits of 223 wylde that I am missing?
I've ran and loaded for both and IMHO I think most issues come from QC issues from X,Y or Z maker vs which chamber. Having said that, when I load my own its always with 5.56 brass for what that's worth lol, just my preference.

I'll say it's quite overwhelming. That's why I figured I'd ask others here.
I've looked at different websites mentioned and noticed some will only shoot 5.56 while others will shoot 5.56 and 223.

You need to read about 223 and 5.56. All the same in size, but a pressure difference. you need to look up SAAMI chamber size. I buy Wylde chambers for the best accuracy in a 223 type round.

You have to determine what you are doing. Some people are just after the look and jump out with a 30 round mag rambo movie junk or you can move up the ladder with a quality paper puncher and actual varmint hunting rifle. I'm all for 18 -20 inch 8 to 9 twist stainless barrels.

you DO Want longer rifle or maybe mid length gas tubes

Last edited:
In the mid 90s, Bill Wylde built all my ARs for CMP/NRA competition. The main reason for the modification Bill did to the 5.56 is to shoot 80 Sierra SMKs for the 600 yard single load prone events. The modification is longer freebore, and tighter. F/B diameter of 0.2240.

Edit: The one aspect of the Wylde I do not like is the neck diameter, too loose at 0.2558. But, it can tolerate more pressure.

The longer freebore did not seem to affect some military ammo. Bill lucked out, he came across a good lot of Canadian green tips. He tested every upper he built at 500 yards with the green tips that shot as well as the FGGM.

I had a lot of M193s that shot really well in rifles built by Bill. I used the ammo to train with and in standing and sitting rapid matches at 200 yards. Then again the official NRA target at 200 is very generous, 3 inch X-ring, and 7 inch 10 ring.

If anyone wishes to test the full potential of any AR rifle, get some MK262s or the civilian versions from Black Hills. FGMMs are good options as well. The IMI MK262s shoot real well. M193s, M855s, and even the M855A1s are hit and miss in the precision department, I would not use them to test my rifles for precision. For a minute of man, all the military rounds are plenty good.

Last edited:
Hello, I'm looking at getting a AR and looking for some suggestions on brands to look into.
Looking to get something off the shelf and not build one although I may add some goodie's later on. Not going to be used for hunting purposes and would want it chambered in 223/5.56. I do reload but am not interested in reloading for this. It'll be bulk ammo whether it's fmj or sp.
I would like to add a scope onto this. Seems like 16" barrel is the norm.
As for price I would like to keep it in the $900-$1300 range if at all possible.
Thanks for any assistance and if I have forgotten any important info just let me know.
I really like my Diamondback, a little heavy. Paid around $600.00 a few years ago. But is quality. Can't say about the new ones. But I haven't heard anything bad about them.

LOL, welcome to the rabbit hole!
Call John H from Whiteoak. He will build one from the Whiteoak Precision side of WOA to your spec and from top tier cut barrel manufacturers.
A buddy had one in 6mm WOA. That rifle was tits.

PSA is great for budget, I have had both outstanding and junk rifles from them. I prefer Aero, but I'd recommend you go shopping at local brick and mortar LGS too. Sample a lot of ARs, and you'll get a sense of what feels best in your hands. You might also want to look at Adams Arms piston rifles, which I think are slightly above the upper end of your price range.

As I understand it, the difference between 223 and 223 Wylde is that the Wylde chamber has a longer leade and slightly larger chamber dimensions, allowing more pressure while still maintaining accuracy. I have 223, 223 Wylde and 556 NATO guns (and a bunch of other AR calibers). The accuracy difference in those, for me, comes from the quality of the build : alignment of the upper receiver and handguard, proper torques, a pinned gas block and all tuned (spring, buffer, gas, etc). Stock trigger on most ARs is junk. Most of my ARs have Geisselle or LaRue triggers beause they aren't that expensive and it makes shooting an AR that much nicer. I also have packaged triggers like Rise and CMC -- you can't go wrong with those either.
Unless it's tuned, most ARs are 1MOA guns at best. Here you'll also find that developing a load that works in YOUR AR will tighten up groups considerably.
When you finally buy one, check some things. Are the bolts in the BCG staked? Is the gas block pinned? Is there slop in the bolt assembly as it glides in the carrier?

I'd like to thank everyone for their input. After reading and rereading all your replies and doing a little research I went ahead and ordered a palmetto state armory 5.56 ar with a 20" barrel. They were running a new year's sale on what I was looking for. I will use the $$ saved on this purchase and probably upgrade the trigger and get a decent red dot scope.
Thanks for all the pm's to help me choose what was going to work for me.

I'd like to thank everyone for their input. After reading and rereading all your replies and doing a little research I went ahead and ordered a palmetto state armory 5.56 ar with a 20" barrel. They were running a new year's sale on what I was looking for. I will use the $$ saved on this purchase and probably upgrade the trigger and get a decent red dot scope.
Thanks for all the pm's to help me choose what was going to work for me.
Congrats on the new purchase and a good one to start with. Now the fun begins lol.

My rifle will be here next week and wondering what type of scope everyone is using? Red dot? Standard duplex? And what about magnification? Mine will mostly be used in the 100 yard range or closer.
I am trying to keep this project under 1K and planning on a Geisselle trigger so this only leaves me with about $300 for a scope, rings and assuming that I need a picatinny rail.
Any suggestions for a scope are much appreciated.

My rifle will be here next week and wondering what type of scope everyone is using? Red dot? Standard duplex? And what about magnification? Mine will mostly be used in the 100 yard range or closer.
I am trying to keep this project under 1K and planning on a Geisselle trigger so this only leaves me with about $300 for a scope, rings and assuming that I need a picatinny rail.
Any suggestions for a scope are much appreciated.
For 100 yards and less I'd use a Aimpoint red dot. I know expensive.... But if that's your criteria I'd just use the iron sights until you saved up for a Aimpoint. I think in the long run you'll be happier with the results.

For 100 yards and less I'd use a Aimpoint red dot. I know expensive.... But if that's your criteria I'd just use the iron sights until you saved up for a Aimpoint. I think in the long run you'll be happier with the results.
Thanks. I have read enough threads about scopes to know this answer was coming and figured I would probably take the saving up route if needed.