Need help picking first AR

I'd take a look at radical firearms as well. I'm picked up a RF-15 for like $480 after taxes on whim a few weeks ago. It is and excellent shooter and will run bulk lake city 55gr ball ammo with no issues whatsoever. It's fun to run and play with. I also added a Riton red dot, a stream light weapon light and a magpul front vertical grip.
I've seen a bunch of radicals over the years and would steer him to other brands. They have had some issues over the years that give me enough pause to find another brand. YMMV but hope you got a better built gun than what I've seen.

Hello, I'm looking at getting a AR and looking for some suggestions on brands to look into.
Looking to get something off the shelf and not build one although I may add some goodie's later on. Not going to be used for hunting purposes and would want it chambered in 223/5.56. I do reload but am not interested in reloading for this. It'll be bulk ammo whether it's fmj or sp.
I would like to add a scope onto this. Seems like 16" barrel is the norm.
As for price I would like to keep it in the $900-$1300 range if at all possible.
Thanks for any assistance and if I have forgotten any important info just let me know.
What's the intended purpose of the rifle?

I've seen a bunch of radicals over the years and would steer him to other brands. They have had some issues over the years that give me enough pause to find another brand. YMMV but hope you got a better built gun than what I've seen.
It's one of the newer guns which seem to have gotten the bugs worked out. I wouldn't buy one of the older ones used though. Figured for the price I can always swap parts out and just keep the lower, stock, and foregrip too for a future build.

Very interesting. I didn't know this.
Definately go with a .223 wylde or 5.56 chamber. Either of these will shoot any .223 or 5.56 ammo. PSA runs sales constantly and can get in the game pretty reasonable. Accuracy can vary widely on some ARs even for plinking, ammo can be even worse lol. Stick with reputable companies for both and you should be good.

I have PSA, bear creek, smith and Wesson, bushmaster, larue and probably missed a few.

I think for what you are wanting I would go for the PSA. They have probably the best bang for the buck. Customer service is very good. My bear creek shoot great but also know a few that don't. Only had one issues with any of my psa and it was something with the bolt carrier. Swapped to another one from another gun. Called them they shipped me a new one that day to make sure I had it for my hunting trip it was bought for. They just asked and trusted if send the old one back.

Only had one issues with any of my psa and it was something with the bolt carrier. Swapped to another one from another gun. Called them they shipped me a new one that day to make sure I had it for my hunting trip it was bought for. They just asked and trusted if send the old one back
This is almost unheard of nowadays. I'd definitely rather not need customer service but it's nice to know that they will take care of you if any problems arise.

Hard to go wrong with S&W MP or PSA. If that balk ammo is going to be 55grainers a 7 twist might struggle with groups, an 8 or 9 twist might be better if your not looking to shoot the 77s

I've been doing some research on the 223 wylde and really haven't seen any benefits. It seems like all AR's chambered in 5.56 will function fine with 223. I read that accuracy can be worse when shooting 223 from a 5.56 compared to the 5.56 ammo. Anyone with real world experience of this? Or is there benefits of 223 wylde that I am missing?