Need a new field dressing knife

I am in need of a new gutting/field dressing knife and maybe a new skinning knife. Any recommendations?
Throwing in my $.02 for the Cutco hunting knife, drop point with Double-D serrated blade. I also prefer the gut blade on the old school 2-blade Browning Kodiak (model 608) for cutting the hide on the paunch. Never a ruptured gut sack using this knife due to the blunt point.

All the super steels are nice, but they have one drawback to them...they are incredibly hard to sharpen in the woods. We overlook steels that have been around for awhile, and think they are obsolete (440C). When looking at stainless, the 440 series is ubiquitous. However, not all 440 steels are the same. 440C is far superior to other 440 series. With a proper heat treat, 440C will hold an edge longer than you can believe, and it is easy enough to sharpen that you can do it in the field...with a little patience.
With all that said, I will probably choose Magnacut for my next knife.

This to sharpen in the field. It’ll touch up “super-steel” back to hair-popping sharp just fine too:

IMG_2683.jpeg

Portable ceramic sticks

I have tried many dozens of knives, including many customs. Price isn't really a consideration but I keep going back to the Buck 110 as my all around hunting knife. The one I have been using the last few years is S30V steel. It far outperforms even the customs I have had, though none of the customs were S30V.

My latest 110 beside a custom Dan Crotts semiskinner in D2 steel. Sold the Crotts after 2 seasons, still have the Buck.

The Crotts is a beautiful and well made knife. It is also very comfortable in the hand, so I may try one in Magnacut or S30V. That said it costs at least 4 times what the Buck does and even with the proprietary heat treat on the D2 it did not hold an edge like the S30V does. It is also no easier to sharpen.
20220912_151455.jpg

Last edited:
i am partial to the Bucks but that is what i grew up with too.
the USA stuff not the Chinese stuff. USA bucks are stamped so on the blade. mainly their high end models nowadays.
me and my dad use the Buck Vanguard. the wood handle is pretty but i use the rubber version for better grip
i dont trust a gut hook not to nick a belly(i use the 2 finger peace method with the blade in between) but there is a zipper Vanguard model too
for a skinner, i use a 4in filet knife. advice from a bass pro deer education class, works pretty well.

Oh for sure it’s not a super steel at all, it works for my intended use at a price I’m able to pay at this present time. And I will say, they do have their heat treatment perfected, they get the most out of basic high carbon steel for what it is.

Perhaps in the future I’ll have to try one of the newer steels, what’s your personal preference and why?
I've been running a Master hunter in San Mai but have recently gotten a SRK in San Mai to be able to do the same work as the Master hunter but also pop the anal cavity when I need it to. Either 1 will do you really well and require little sharpening.

@mecanic04

I was given a Gerber ‘Gator’ (clip point) for Christmas in 1992….and I’m still using that same knife today on every deer I drop. It sharpens easily with my Chef’s Choice sharpener. I switch to a Havalon ‘Piranta’ when it’s time to skin and debone.

Based on my 2700+ deer killed (by handguns) & my cleaning all of them ,Outdoor Edge replaceable blades have proven to be the best.
I used to use 3 different Buck knives each year & sharpen them with so-so effects. Then I sent them back to Buck for resharpening for a small fee. Did OK, but the Outdoor edges are just one less thing I have to fool with (sharpening).

Based on my 2700+ deer killed (by handguns) & my cleaning all of them ,Outdoor Edge replaceable blades have proven to be the best.
I used to use 3 different Buck knives each year & sharpen them with so-so effects. Then I sent them back to Buck for resharpening for a small fee. Did OK, but the Outdoor edges are just one less thing I have to fool with (sharpening).
You don't need a particular knife, you need to hire a young guy to do your cleaning for you! Sort of like the guys up here hiring the Hutterites to skin and stretch 3-400 coyote hides a year versus doing it themselves.

Is that correct 2700 deer? You are then the HITMAN.