Need a broadhead for elk

Random list of both here
Last two bulls I killed with an Iron will v100, worked well but blood trails are not amazing. But they will penetrate well.

Sevr hybrid - using this for both archery elk hunts this year starting next week.

iron Will - wides for better blood trail with your pull weight and DL , but need time to tune

QAD exodus - very tough head. Have not killed an elk with one but know people that swear by them. They do well in head to head testing also.

Animals have been killed for thousands of years with 2 blade fixed broadheads. I use 2 blade Zwickey broadheads from a Black Widow recurve. I've killed whitetail deer from 5 yds. to 38 yds.just my 2 pennies. Right side wall is a few of the results....very few. Been shooting a recurve since the age of 10 and will be 70 next month.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240828_064000_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240828_064000_Gallery.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 51
My go to Broadhead on elk is the G5 Montec. One piece machine, stainless steel flies well went tuned and penetrates well. At this late date, though I might not want to change your set up. Also remember a quartering toward you or quartering away from you shot on a bull is not a great pick. Too much bone in the front and if you catch the stomach, it may hang up in the stomach contents. A nice clean full on broadside is what you're looking for. Also be prepared to shoot at longer distances than in the east.

No doubt in my mind this has been covered ad nauseam through the years on LRH, but it's the first time I've had an opportunity to go archery elk hunting and it has come about really quickly (have been granted opportunity to hunt a nice piece of private in an over-the-counter tag area and I'm heading out in less than two weeks). My current whitetail setup is a 450 grain finished arrow weight including a 100 grain, mechanical Broadhead. I'm thinking I need to go to a fixed blade Broadhead, but I haven't shot those since the 90s. At that time, I was shooting a Muzzy for blade 90 grain. I'm happy to read other threads but wanted to see what kind of response I would get asking this question.

I shoot a Matthews V3X 33 at 75 pounds. I have a 30.5 inch draw length.

I don't mean to start up an age old debate. I just need a couple of solid recommendations that I can order a half dozen online and have them here in a week without spending hours reading reviews. I trust the info I get here.
I got wy elk tag in general units last year an made it an archery tag. Im 65 an have had to go to a 60 lbs bow. Elite tempo an decided on iron will 100 grain broad heads. My elk was not big but a 5x5 at 37 yards an almost passed thur. My sons an i used nap spitfires 100 for years on whitetails an still do but ive gone to hunting w iron will for all archery hunting. They shoot same as my p points an mechanicals.

I think a cut on contact mechanical would be fine if you do not have time to fully tune the fixed blades, but if you have time to get the fixed blades fully tuned and are confident in your form then the QAD or slick tricks have worked well for me and were fairly easy to tune.

for 90% of my hunting I use grim reapers and have had excellent results.

I wouldn't change a thing! Confidence kills! If you've got confidence in your setup then run it!! Mechanicals have come a long ways in reliability. I used to work in a shop and guys killed just as many with mechanicals as fixed. I used to tell customers when they asked my advice, shoot what you believe in. If you have doubt your gonna peek on the shot, short draw, jerk the trigger, whatever. Don't change a thing!

I got wy elk tag in general units last year an made it an archery tag. Im 65 an have had to go to a 60 lbs bow. Elite tempo an decided on iron will 100 grain broad heads. My elk was not big but a 5x5 at 37 yards an almost passed thur. My sons an i used nap spitfires 100 for years on whitetails an still do but ive gone to hunting w iron will for all archery hunting. They shoot same as my p points an mechanicals.

Animals have been killed for thousands of years with 2 blade fixed broadheads. I use 2 blade Zwickey broadheads from a Black Widow recurve. I've killed whitetail deer from 5 yds. to 38 yds.just my 2 pennies. Right side wall is a few of the results....very few. Been shooting a recurve since the age of 10 and will be 70 next month.
First off those are some nice mounts.
I agree that the two blades will kill but at the speeds he's shooting compared with a recurve I don't think it's a great combo.
I still think that this late in the game just stick with what you know shoot's well.

What mechanical are you currently shooting? With as little time as you have to "play" with anything, I'd go with Grim Reaper 1 3/8" Razor TIP (NOT the Razor CUT). And I'd get the 125gr. That should help a little on FOC, which should help in penetration and accuracy on longer shots. That extra 25 gr probably wont even be noticeable until you get out past 30 or 40 yards, and even then not by much. My next choice would be a Gravedigger Hybrid in 125gr. They look like they would fly horrible, but are crazy accurate. But you WILL need to adjust the tension on the blades just a smidge, to your liking. They are an awesome head. Next would probably be a Rage Hypodermic. NOTHING leaves a bloodtrail like these. But a Grave Digger is awful close. Spitfire would be next on my list. They were my go-to for many years. Now I prefer the Grim Reaper over a Spitfire for the simple fact that they open easier. I feel the Grim Reaper gets better penetration. Seems like some others on here also agree on the Grim Reaper. Get the 1 3/8" Razor Tip. That would be my #1 choice in your situation.

Congrats on your elk hunt! I don't think anything is wrong with your setup at all but if you want to change it or shoot something different this would be my recommendation. If you're really leaning fixed blade I would say slick trick or kudo points. Both shot like field points for me all the way out to 70 yards. I shoot grim reaper pro series razor tip and I have had amazing results. Furthest an animal has run when shot by one was 80 yards. Mule deer doe quartering away took a step when I let it go. Arrow went in right in front of the haunch and came out on the back rib on the opposite side. I have killed 7 animals with the grim reaper and every blood trail has been amazing. Only problem is only one of the 7 animals was an elk. 30 yards feeding, settled the pin and let her fly and the arrow went through so fast I thought I may have missed. I turned to my dad and asked if he saw the impact and the elk stumbled five yards over the hill and fell dead and slid all the way to the bottom of the hill. Accuracy is number one, shoot whatever you're confident with and have fun and enjoy your elk hunt! Good luck and post pics!

Recent Posts