My thoughts on Long-range shooting/hunting

My equipment is good for those 1000+ yd shots, but unfortunately I am not. Given a 500 yd shot and under my odds are pretty good tho! Also, my goal is to put the animal down on the spot with a well placed shot that destroys as little meat as possible. I am not a fan of just hitting the animal.

About 10 years ago I started shooting further, out to 700 yds. I got good enough to hit almost every shot @ 1.5 moa targets with bipod or shooting sticks. But I had to purposely setup to shoot that far for most of my hunting. On occasion I would be in West TX or out west and have a legit reason to take that long of a shot. But most of my hunting is much closer thick woods or brush with 200 yds being long. Truth is very few people have the nerves and skill to shoot game animals consistently over 500yds and many over 300yds. Hats off to all you guys that do. I try to get inside 300yd, but if conditions are good and I have solid rest setup and I'm out of cover to get closer I'll send it out to about 500. But I always opt for closer as hunting is my goal. But those steel rams can be lots of fun.

For those that are curious here is a sample of the easiest place to get to hunt. This is not very typical of the places we have to pack into. My daughter is just posing for a photo opp.

Attachments

• unting Long-range.JPG
    unting Long-range.JPG
    298.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1324.JPG
    IMG_1324.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 20

Recent Posts