My Model 70 Winchester saga continues.

Do you know who the builder/engraver was? That is a butte. Enjoy it in good health. and enjoy your hunting. Good hunting.
This is all I know about it.
"This beautiful rifle appears to be unused, perhaps fired once or twice at best. The rifle was made by Winchester circa 1957. The prior owner told me it was part of a two gun commission, this being "the sheep" and the other being "the pronghorn". Alleged to have been made for a US officer stationed in Frankfurt in 1958, the gun was built to American tastes with impeccable workmanship.

H&H Zehner brothers were the preeminent German rifle builders of the mid-century era. During a time of strict gun control during post-WWII reconstruction Zehner was able to operate by serving US officers on commissioned pieces. There work is some of the finest to come out of Europe during the era and due to their connection to American clients, was the only one using superior American Winchester actions on some of their custom pieces. (American Officers could buy Winchesters through the PX on base to provide the actions to Zehner)

The rifle is chambered in 300 H&H.

Custom walnut stock with ebony grip cap, fore end tip and shadow line cheek rest. Carved and beautifully checkered stock.

Length of pull of approximately 14.5"

Prolific foliate engraving and a scene of a ram on the magazine. French gray receiver. Gloss bluing elsewhere throughout over the other foliate engraving. German claw mounts.

The optic is a lovely B. Nickel 6-10x scope made by Hertel & Reuss (now part of Swarovski)

Jeweled bolt. Lovely metal work and scope mount saddle dovetailed into the barrel.

A sublime, practical rifle suitable for all American big game and the entirety of Africa's plains game.

My favorite rifle! 300 H&H 64gr 4350, 168gr Hornady Match King hpbt, Norma Brass, amazing low recoil

Attachments

• IMG_5515.jpg
    IMG_5515.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 26
Thanks for sharing! Beautiful rifle! I like the ram on the floor plate, great artwork.

I had a similar conundrum a few years back. I had inherited a Pre 64 in 300 WM from my dad. I had fired it at the range a few times, but was apprehensive to take it hunting.

I finally decided it was time to use it last year, developed a load, replaced the old recoil pad, and put a better scope on it. As I thought about it, my dad carried this rifle hunting ever since i was a kid. He would rather it be used and enjoyed. It's still in great shape other than a handful of small scuffs on the stock, but it was "dad's hunting rifle." It's heavy, but it shoots fantastic!

It's a tough choice to make, but thought I would share.

I am guessing yours was fired some. To my knowledge these had the old red, I think pachmeyer, recoil pads. Yours is black, but I am not 100% on that piece of it.

Here is an older picture of my gun. I was thinking about putting an authentic red one, but the present recoil pad is fine. Just saw there are red good reproduction pads that perfectly fit. Tempted!

I am amazed by the low recoil!

Attachments

• Today pad.JPG
    Today pad.JPG
    320.3 KB · Views: 21
  • Seven years ago.jpeg
    Seven years ago.jpeg
    404.1 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Here is an older picture of my gun. I was thinking about putting an authentic red one, but the present recoil pad is fine. Just saw there are red good reproduction pads that perfectly fit. Tempted!

I am amazed by the low recoil!

That's one of the beautiful things about the H&H, particularly in rifles of typical weight……recoil is minimal considering the effectiveness of the cartridge. Maybe the "best bang for the buck" for over a century!

Most people that "bad mouth" them are either clueless having never shot one, or are recoil sensitive! memtb

So, should I stay with what I have? They both look like solid rubber. Just joined the Winchester Forum (WACA). Ask?

I shot my first (still have it) Model 70 H & H with the original "red" pad for a while, but opted-out for a Pachmyar Decellerator. While the original pad wasn't that bad, I was shooting a bunch from the bench…..the Decellerator simply turned it into a "pussycat"! memtb