SSK-50 (Contender) - Odd Failure to Fire

Just a quick question. Am i reading this right? Does this only happen with one particular ammo or handload? Interesting thread for sure
Thanks
Doug
I've been shooting Berger 80 gr VLD with no issues and found these to be very accurate.

I saw Hornady had a new bullet out, 80 gr ELD-X. X is for an expanding bullet. So far not very accurate.

The hammer fall issue is only with the Hornady bullets.

I'm using 22 grs of Varget for each.
80gr Berger.png

try seating the bullet a little bit deeper on the Hornady bullets and see if the problem goes away sound like they could be a little long and not allowing the locking bolt to disengage the hammer block safety if yours has one

I had kinda same issue with my TC the rim thickness of the brass was just a touch thicker causing minor gap increases in lockckup. I was perplexed for a while. I think QC is lacking at Hornady. Yes my brass was Hornady also. I used 1k grit sandpaper and a block of wood and took down edges on head stamp. Fixed my problem

try seating the bullet a little bit deeper on the Hornady bullets and see if the problem goes away sound like they could be a little long and not allowing the locking bolt to disengage the hammer block safety if yours has one
I was seating the bullets a little deeper after 3 shots working grouping. Grouping never got better with the Hornady bullets and the hammer fall issue continued.

After reading multiple pages by Mike Bellm and re-reading the other post here, I started to work.

I wanted to do the easiest part first and if that doesn't work, I'll go to step 2. I pulled the Hornady bullets, dumped the powder, resized the case and bumped each one about .006". Load them all back with the same charge, 22 grs Varget. I did not pull the Berger bullets, only the Hornady. Headed to the range. I could have picked a better day since our area was getting some rain and wind from hurricane Franciene, but I went just the same.

I shot around 24 rounds and had no issues with the hammer not falling. I'll be going out again next week for additional load development with the Hornadys.

Despite the wind I was pleased with the functioning of the SSK. No issues at all. The target below was the best of the range day.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.
80 Hornady.png