My first Real Weatherby

Well, Midway offers a birthday discount for their store and since mine is next Monday, I just picked up 100 pieces of Weatherby brass for $1.20/each! Too good of a deal to pass that opportunity up. Also placed my order for a set of RCBS dies, and the 92gr Hammer Hunters. My LGS had the "cheaper" Select box with Norma rounds on sale for $34 this weekend, so I snagged two of them too while picking up a pound of 7828. Once my rings and bases arrive, I'm off to the races!

That 7828 will probably get you max velocities but if for some reason those loads aren't accurate in your rifle... I've had the best accuracy with RL22 and also IMR 4350 did surprisingly well with 100 grain bullets.
Gary

Decided it was time to own a Mark V. I've dreamed of owning one since is was in the single digits. I originally wanted the 6.5-300, but found reloading components are nonexistent. I quickly regrouped and decided for Roy's favorite, the screaming 257. I'm waiting on rings and bases to show up but wanted to show off my new toy and see who else shoots one.

I love the .257 Wby Mag, killed a lot of Deer with one, 100gr load and you're styling. I must say I would really like to pick up the 6.5-300 Wby mag, I think Weatherby did it right with that one, but they did it late, I would have loved to have seen it in the '70s and '80s Congrats.

Decided it was time to own a Mark V. I've dreamed of owning one since is was in the single digits. I originally wanted the 6.5-300, but found reloading components are nonexistent. I quickly regrouped and decided for Roy's favorite, the screaming 257. I'm waiting on rings and bases to show up but wanted to show off my new toy and see who else shoots one.
COngrats. I have same rifle and I love it. my loves 100gr Scirocco bullets at 3550 with Retumbo. One-shot, one kill.

Very cool! Get yourself some 7828 SSC and be prepared to see some serious velocity (and barrel wear, so shoot carefully)!
I taped small self adhering temp. colour gauge on the barrel. Safe to do 3 consetutive shots in my accumark

I love the .257 Wby Mag, killed a lot of Deer with one, 100gr load and you're styling. I must say I would really like to pick up the 6.5-300 Wby mag, I think Weatherby did it right with that one, but they did it late, I would have loved to have seen it in the '70s and '80s Congrats.
I have the Accumark RC 6.5-300 too. The difference it only shoots 2 shots, then I have to let her cool down before I shoot the third. Or she goes 3" to the left. :) I guess you can argue you dont need the second and third shot.

Well, Midway offers a birthday discount for their store and since mine is next Monday, I just picked up 100 pieces of Weatherby brass for $1.20/each! Too good of a deal to pass that opportunity up. Also placed my order for a set of RCBS dies, and the 92gr Hammer Hunters. My LGS had the "cheaper" Select box with Norma rounds on sale for $34 this weekend, so I snagged two of them too while picking up a pound of 7828. Once my rings and bases arrive, I'm off to the races!
Gotta love that they gave me 40 percent off a choate stock!

I've been collecting 257 bee stuff for the last 5-6 years still haven't actually purchased the gun yet though. I've got the dies over 300 pieces once fired Weatherby brass and a buffet of different bullets. Would love to find a gently used German made one but probably a better chance in hitting the power ball.
I've been eyeballing a Remington sendario though still new in box for 900$ . I believe that will be my Christmas present from the ol lady

Congrats on your purchase! I use my .257 Wthby for antelope here in Montana but have dropped a number of large muley bucks during late antelope season (deer season overlaps a bit here) and the opportunity arose. Last year I hadn't filled my antelope buck (either sex tag) or doe tags yet when a nice doe stopped broadside at just 250 yards. Lucky for me I had both tags as I shot the doe and her sister that was twinned to her went down as well. I had no idea there was two does side by each so close together you couldn't see but one. I had my two sons with me and with all three of us glassing nobody noticed until they fell. I got the bullet from the offside shoulder of the second doe. Whew!

Yup..for 23 years...can't go wrong! Mark V's deliver everything promised... I have several and love em all

Congrats on your purchase! I use my .257 Wthby for antelope here in Montana but have dropped a number of large muley bucks during late antelope season (deer season overlaps a bit here) and the opportunity arose. Last year I hadn't filled my antelope buck (either sex tag) or doe tags yet when a nice doe stopped broadside at just 250 yards. Lucky for me I had both tags as I shot the doe and her sister that was twinned to her went down as well. I had no idea there was two does side by each so close together you couldn't see but one. I had my two sons with me and with all three of us glassing nobody noticed until they fell. I got the bullet from the offside shoulder of the second doe. Whew!
WHOA! 2 in a row!

I have had 3 Mark fives in .257 caliber. Great guns but make sure you decide on the right ammunition and the right load.
If you can work up a hand load yourself or do it with some of the real benchrest guru's that goes a long way. Over-the-counter ammo depending on the bullet is almost a hundred bucks a box

Have the Mark V RC 257, probably my most favorite of all my rifles I own! It IS the most accurate "non-custom built" rifle I own.. I've shot several different bullets out of it but she loves the Barnes TTSX in 80 or 100 grain! It is a tack driver... hope you enjoy yours! Good Shooting and Good Hunting!!

I have had 3 Mark fives in .257 caliber. Great guns but make sure you decide on the right ammunition and the right load.
If you can work up a hand load yourself or do it with some of the real benchrest guru's that goes a long way. Over-the-counter ammo depending on the bullet is almost a hundred bucks a box
I have seen ammo prices! I bought the components for reloading and can't wait to put some loads together for this rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.