My 338 Sherman Shortmag

Just got my 338 SS back from Steve at Hammer Bullets

Built by Straight Jacket Armory
24" proof barrel 1:9.4 twist
Peircision self timing brake
Manners EH2 stock
Stiller Predator Action
Athlon Cronus BTR scope (going to swap for my 2.5-10 NXS)
And got 100 rounds of pain from Hammer all loaded up with 235 grain Hammer Hunters
Currently weighs in at 10Lbs

20190410_061625.jpg

I would just like to remind everyone that every rifle is unique and may give different results than someone else's seemingly identical rifle. Also, amount of free bore can greatly affect pressure. Add to that various loading techniques and you have a recipe for disaster if you try to duplicate someone else's results.
Be safe!:)

Thanks for the heads up Rich I'm perfectly aware the risks using someone else's data but that's not why I asked. I'm really curious how long that sucker is. It looks like it's seated way out there in the pics from Steve a few post back. I'm running a totally different bullet than Specter curiosity is all

I'll check OAL tomorrow. I can tell you Nick at Straight Jacket maxed out Rich's reamer I was originally planning on the 260gr hammers
Thanks for the heads up Rich I'm perfectly aware the risks using someone else's data but that's not why I asked. I'm really curious how long that sucker is. It looks like it's seated way out there in the pics from Steve a few post back. I'm running a totally different bullet than Specter curiosity is all
I know that you know that and wasn't intended for anyone specifically. Just a reminder to everyone! There have been quite a variety of builds on this chambering so just throwing out the caution sign.

My COAL is 3.2405

Ballistics are below

View attachment 130063
Great info. Do you know what your freebore is for that length of COAL? I just picked my 338ss up the other day. I had it throated for the 240 Bulldozers @ 3.270" touching. This still puts the bullet in the case .060" deeper than optimum. Wondering just for comparison reasons & possibly another bullet option. I'm thinking yours has to have even more freebore than mine. 66 grains of Varget is quite a bit of capacity difference compared to even docs longthroated Tikka version. Kevin

Great info. Do you know what your freebore is for that length of COAL? I just picked my 338ss up the other day. I had it throated for the 240 Bulldozers @ 3.270" touching. This still puts the bullet in the case .060" deeper than optimum. Wondering just for comparison reasons & possibly another bullet option. I'm thinking yours has to have even more freebore than mine. 66 grains of Varget is quite a bit of capacity difference compared to even docs longthroated Tikka version. Kevin
I know what I set the dummy round up for with his. It was .435" free bore, if I remember correctly!!!

Recent Posts