MT Elk Regulations Should Change!

I agree it shouldn't be. But why would they cut the hand off that feeds them funding wise?
Because its the right thing to do.
Basically you wanna bribe them?
Like I said funding shouldn't have anything to do with decisions on how to structure hunting seasons and tags do the right thing then figure out how to fund it.
Does it costs money to pick your weapon?

Because its the right thing to do.
Basically you wanna bribe them?
Would you not be willing to pay more for your general deer and elk tag? I guess I don't see it as bribing. I just feel we are still paying tag prices that are not reflective of todays value. If residents pay more to close the 76/24 gap we may have just a touch more pull when saying quit selling all these B tags.

Would you not be willing to pay more for your general deer and elk tag? I guess I don't see it as bribing. I just feel we are still paying tag prices that are not reflective of todays value. If residents pay more to close the 76/24 gap we may have just a touch more pull when saying quit selling all these B tags.
Untill i see some changes for the better thats a HELL NO!!
Why pay more if your not getting anything in return?
You keep talking about money and value take that out of the equation and start talking what is right for management, that should be #1
The value is in the toilet.

I'm honestly curious. Which state has a good management model?
You wanna see some **** good Bulls go hunt Nevada, if montana would manage for bulls like that I'd be on board for drawing as a resident.
I saw more more 350-380 bulls in 10 days there hunting than I have 30+ years in Montana and I was deer hunting.
Wyoming does a good job on there elk but they screwed the pooch on the MD in western wyoming after last winter they shouldn't have even had a season.

I do not know much about Nevada. Draw only is what I heard without any research. So is it safe to assume that your looking for quality over opportunity and has that always been your approach or just something that has evolved with time?

I think if we cut the NR opportunity maybe 65-80% of what it is now, raise the cost to make up the dollar shortfall and require all NRs hunting big game to be with an outfitter- everyone wins. I don't really care if it's inaccessible to average Joe hunter who wants to drive across the country and do a DIY elk hunt. That guy is more of the problem and less of the benefit.

I don't really care if it's inaccessible to average Joe hunter who wants to drive across the country and do a DIY elk hunt. That guy is more of the problem and less of the benefit.
So you're saying screw the average Joe because they are a NR? I believe everyone's tax dollars purchased and maintained federal property.
Members are making suggestions to you about being overrun with NR and you are calling a average Joe like myself and many others a problem? You sound like a spoiled child saying it's my elk and you can't have any!
Average Joes always gets the shaft so at this stage in life this average Joe is used to it.

require all NRs hunting big game to be with an outfitter- everyone wins.
Nobody wins with this.

You as a R will have less access due to ranches locking up land with outfitters trying to get a piece of those outfitter profits. This is already an issue as Montana ranches sell daily to people buying scenery.

Many NR's will be unable to pay that cost and quit, but outfitters will still hold all the private and that will block a lot of public. There will be an increase in guided hunters, but fewer NR overall.

I've been thinking about the common complaints MT hunters have lately. We've got this ridiculously long season and tag holders can hunt all of it with all weapons. I think this will definitely change in the near future as hunter crowding is getting out of hand. I always thought our long season gave a working man a chance to feed his family because not everyone can be afield for a great length of time with work and all…. I think the generous season is being abused by one very certain parasitic type of hunter. These are the non-resident DIY who spend most or even ALL the of the season pressuring our game while we are at work. These are retirees, staying in their campers, hunting the front country old man style, basically driving all the game into private or deep in the hills. I think it would go a long long way to creating better opportunities for all hunters if we limited non residents to an 8 day window which they would need to apply for when they put in for a license.
Take vacation and go hunt?

I'm honestly curious. Which state has a good management model?
Not many, as evidenced by the state of hunting in the West today.
Missouri has done a good job of separating some of the politics by funding MDC with a 3/8ths of a percent sales tax.
Do not lose sight of the funding from Pitman-Robertson. Predicated on license sales.
The undeniable fact is demand exceeds supply by a huge amount. No one involved wants to reduce their "rice bowl."
Not the politicians, not the wildlife managers, not the hunters - resident or non-resident.
(Note to LSherm: the figurative "you")

I think if we cut the NR opportunity maybe 65-80% of what it is now, raise the cost to make up the dollar shortfall and require all NRs hunting big game to be with an outfitter- everyone wins. I don't really care if it's inaccessible to average Joe hunter who wants to drive across the country and do a DIY elk hunt. That guy is more of the problem and less of the benefit.
How about split the alphabet in half and allow first half to hunt even years and second half to hunt odd years.

One of the problems I believe is prevalent is license fees etc drives their budget. Why? What other state agency has to survive like this?

If they are going to run it like a business, then go all in.
1) Develop and implement a standard five year business plan based upon a budget issued from the state budget and not based off the incoming monies from sportsmen.
2) Plan must include management goals for all species.
3) Steps to achieve goals for each species with contingencies for known variables such as winter kills, disease, and other wildlife related issues etc. In other words be prepared with contingency actions to keep programs moving forward to goals. Plan must include mandates to address these potential contingencies without interference from political inputs.
4) The plan must not be economic nor politically motivated. 😱 Sorry bad joke.

Recent Posts