Low recoil deer caliber

For those who are recommending things like a 6.5 creedmore, remember that this is for a small person.
Having shot 4 different 243 rifles, and 5 different 6.5 creeds, let me say that the 243 feels gentle, the 6.5 C doesn't.
For those who weigh north of say 150 lbs, probably not a factor. Between 100 and 150 lbs, somewhat a factor. But sub 100 lbs, it is a big deal. I have shot 2 bolt action, and 2 lever action 243 rifles, and 0 of them had enough kick, recoil, or whatever you want to call it to be anything worth noting, and I'm 93 lbs. Several of my coworkers hunt with their 243 despite being large men, because it simply works well. Federal 85 grain factory ammo, will stop deer, elk, moose, black bears, and such. Its not a 600 yard moose gun, but at under 200 yards its a 1 shot and done deal, I've witnessed it with my own eyes. The Federal 85 is soft enough to do serious damage on its pathway through the animal you shoot.
The 243 shooting 85 gr is fast, which gives it the impact of a heavier but slower bullet.
Shooting 100 grain plus ammo from a 6.5 creed is not child friendly in my humble opinion.

For those who are recommending things like a 6.5 creedmore, remember that this is for a small person.
Having shot 4 different 243 rifles, and 5 different 6.5 creeds, let me say that the 243 feels gentle, the 6.5 C doesn't.
For those who weigh north of say 150 lbs, probably not a factor. Between 100 and 150 lbs, somewhat a factor. But sub 100 lbs, it is a big deal. I have shot 2 bolt action, and 2 lever action 243 rifles, and 0 of them had enough kick, recoil, or whatever you want to call it to be anything worth noting, and I'm 93 lbs. Several of my coworkers hunt with their 243 despite being large men, because it simply works well. Federal 85 grain factory ammo, will stop deer, elk, moose, black bears, and such. Its not a 600 yard moose gun, but at under 200 yards its a 1 shot and done deal, I've witnessed it with my own eyes. The Federal 85 is soft enough to do serious damage on its pathway through the animal you shoot.
The 243 shooting 85 gr is fast, which gives it the impact of a heavier but slower bullet.
Shooting 100 grain plus ammo from a 6.5 creed is not child friendly in my humble opinion.
1699288756833.png

It'd be interesting to know what what your rifles weighed. it makes a much larger difference that most people realize. just like shooter weight. You can see the difference even between the 85 & 103 Gr loads between the 243 & 6 CM & 3 lb rifle weight differences.

I have my son shooting a 6.5 Creedmoor with an Area 419 Hellfire brake using Remington 129 grain TCL factory ammo. Hardly any recoil at all. It is loud though.

I am a big fan of the 7mm-08. My boys grew up shooting that and I still have the browning A-Bolt micro medallion from 1990 in the gun safe. Low recoil and muzzle blast but very deadly deer rifle. Very easy to handle. Might look at a savage 110 in mountain lightweight as an affordable handy option. I also like the 260 Remington for this same purpose.

I'm tossing the idea of getting my son a riffle for Christmas. he will be 9 in march. He has been shooting 22 for several years now and is doing really well with it. So I'm thinking of getting him a deer riffle that he Can practice with until He is of age to hunt. What are some options for low recoil deer calibres. Thanks for your input
What type of Deer are you hunting and under what conditions, bush, jumping them, stands, or cross canyon long-range stuff? It would make a difference on my recommendation, also do you hand load or would you hand load for it? Cheers

Lots of advice on this one! Hunting with children is the best!! Dad started me with a 300 Savage 60 years ago. I think 22 calibers are best left for varmints. 243 or 6mm Rem were both great rounds for a kids first deer rifle in my chidren's era. However, I set my grandkids up with a 6.5 Creedmoor that performs well. I put 3 rounds in a 0.27 group at 100 yards with a Howa Mod 1500. We have less than $600 in it with a youth stock and adult stock as they grow. The 135 gr Berger Classic Hunter with H-4350 is a winner. The popularity of the 6.5 Creedmoor provides broad availability of rifles and ammo. Have fun.

View attachment 508420

It'd be interesting to know what what your rifles weighed. it makes a much larger difference that most people realize. just like shooter weight. You can see the difference even between the 85 & 103 Gr loads between the 243 & 6 CM & 3 lb rifle weight differences.

That I don't know, but 2 were Brownings, a lever and a bolt action, 1 Henry lever, and a Cascade bolt action. I don't remember any of them feel really heavy or light. 3 had wood stocks, 1 synthetic.

6.5 CREEDMOOR, 6.5 Grendel would be fine low recoil deer rifles. My son just dumped his first WT with a 6.5CM!

My son and daughter both started with a .243 and the Hornady Custom Lite ammunition.

My daughter does not deer hunt any longer. My sone is still shooting the .243 with the Hornady American Whitetail ammo.

I'm tossing the idea of getting my son a riffle for Christmas. he will be 9 in march. He has been shooting 22 for several years now and is doing really well with it. So I'm thinking of getting him a deer riffle that he Can practice with until He is of age to hunt. What are some options for low recoil deer calibres. Thanks for your input
7-08 is an excellent balance as a short action center Fire caliber. Velocity. Foot pounds of energy are slightly better than the 308 or the 243. I have taken elk out to 600 yds and varmints in close. My Son and grand kids have taken deer. Recoil is manageable. The 6.5 Grendel is an excellent choice for deer sized game. Taken a few cow elk inside of 300 yds. Hogs are tough and in close the Grendel works. However, foot pounds of energy are critical to effectively harvest large animals.