Looking for advice, opnions, experience on a hunting pistol

Ernie

That pistol in the link is not bad at all, I have bee looking at it for a while now. What are some other options, I just dont want to rush into something. Im thinking off the shelf stuff, If I get one I wont want to wait on a build. Reason is I always end up finding something I like more after I commit to a build.

You could try something like this:

SuperStriker001.jpg

Savage Striker sports a 3-9 Burris AO Posi-Loc, currently wearing a .308 Winchester barrel. I have shot this gun from field positions out to 300 yards and am confident that it would go farther, I just don't have a place to shoot farther than that.

The XP is a very nice gun too, but typically a bit more expensive than the Savage.

Bob

Give me a call 307-257-7431

Ernie

That pistol in the link is not bad at all, I have bee looking at it for a while now. What are some other options, I just dont want to rush into something. Im thinking off the shelf stuff, If I get one I wont want to wait on a build. Reason is I always end up finding something I like more after I commit to a build.

Savage Striker vs Remington XP 100- retail cost for completed specialty upgrades. XP 2X the Striker cost.
Can buy a 300 WSM repeater in the Striker for $400.-$600. can't be had in the Xp 100!

Below is my family of RUM cartridges in the Striker including the 375 RUM>
SavageFamilyofRUMS.jpg

Ultra-light rear grip quick barrel change Striker or Savage Target Action! Factory Savage barrels shoot awesome and one can change any part on the Savages without gunsmith charges or wait times. No special expensive tools required to change barrels or boltheads.

BeavertailSideProfile.jpg

My all time favorite and that which I hunt with more than anything is the TC Encore. I just purchased a complete stainless NEW encore for $450. at the local gun shop. From 223 Remngton to 300 win mag or any caliber you desire.

Prettypicture.jpg

Neal

Last edited:
I find it kinda funny that two of the posters in this thread are largely responsible for getting me started in this " alternative" hunting method! Ernie got me interested in the longer range aspects of hand gunning and Neal got me turned on to the Striker platform, in fact the pistol in the photo above wears a factory barrel I got from Neal a couple of years ago. Because of guys like these two constantly pushing the envelope and trying new approaches, a lot of us have been able to reap the benefits and jump into this game feet first.

You can take what they say to the bank!

Thanks fellas, for the thousands of rounds down range and the countless hours of testing and the willingness to share all with us, my hat is off to you both!

Sorry to stray OT a little but I couldn't help it :)

Bob

Leave a message if I am not there.
I lead a men's Bible study on Tuesday evenings.

Like XP's, you have to pick them up used.
Purchasing a new undesignated action is another route.
The Savage Target action has been used by a quite a few with great success.
For a hunting rig, you also have to look at over all length and weight, if that is an issue for you.
I am not a fan of Striker triggers in the center-grip mode.
When moved to a rear-grip you have different options though.
Again, determine what you want.

ICANHITHIMMAN
Ernie will get you going in the right direction. He got me going now I got to figure out how to stop:D. Iv shot the TC, Strikers and XPs. I have not shot a MOA.
Do your homework and have fun. Its hard to go to ranges and shoot one. Mainly there is not that many people shooting them.

I done a little trial and error. Finding what style gun I liked. The XPs have a few more after market parts and a few more smiths that play with them. Standard triggers are better on the XP than on mid grip Strikers. If you have big hands the standard stock on the Sriker is nice.

These are my two shotgun county pistols that are legal in NYS, I live in Dutchess Cty near the Ct border. The top one is my MOA maximum in 6.5 x 47 lapua and the barrel is total length of 16 inchs so its NY legal and the scope is a vortex viper 6.5 x 20 x44 and caldwell bi-pod with a very crisp 2.5 lb trigger. The bottom one is a Savage striker in .308 win wearing a EER leupold 2x scope. The moa is the better shooter of the two but both will hold sub minute of angle. Talk to Rich at moaguns.com and he will have you setup before next season gets here. Mine took about 8 months for the build and 5 weeks for the county paperwork for my add on to my permit that I already hold. You should be able to find a striker for less then 600.00 and a NEW MOA for around 975.00 to 1050.00. Where are you in NYS ? Savage does not make the striker any more, darn it. The only issue with the strikers is the trigger is a bit rough but they can be worked on to make them smoother and lighter.

PA160040.jpg

Last edited:
I have three pistols in my arsenal I use for long range that may fill your needs as well.

T/C Encore with MGM barrel in 6mm BR w/Burris 3x12 scope.

T/C Encore with 338 GNR barrel w/Burris 2x7 scope.

Savage Striker in 260 Remington w/Burris 3x12 scope.

I have complete confidence in these three weapons out to 400 yards if I do my part.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.