Looking for thoughts on a pistol for hunting

Ckgworks

So this year I was out looking at some new deer hunting area to bring my children that is in a shotgun only restriction, and found some really great spots that are over looked due to the range of shooting. It got me thinking about building a pistol that would be legal in the shotgun areas, but would be capable of reaching out 350-400 yards, and maybe further. This area is also on the border of a rifle area, so the pistol would eliminate any potential conflicts with border rules. (you could cross from rifle into shotgun without issue) I see that there are some on this forum that hunt and build long range pistols for hunting, and I hoped those would provide me some in-site or thoughts to what I'm thinking......
First Calibers; I'm kind of leaning towards a .260 rem, because I already load for it, but also have thought 7mm-08, 6.5 PRC, 6.5x284 or maybe 6.5x47....I saw one for sale in 7x57 that looked interesting. Any others close to these that I shouldn't overlook? My children would end up shooting it as well, so I don't want too big of hand cannon!

Barrel Length, I'm thinking 15" if I were to rebarrel one, but what would you think for the above calibers as far as a minimum length should I find one complete to just buy? I'd like to be able to push the range down the road if I'm capable of the task.

Actions; Xp-100 seems like the top bar for long range pistols......Looking at the cost for these, would you be better off buying a new action from someone like PTG for a new build? (I realize the trigger extension for under grip may pose a problem) But what about the Savage strikers, or starting with a Savage action? Any thoughts? Lastly has anyone on here gotten steller enough performance out on a Contender for 500 yard shooting? I'm sure it's possible but it seems like it may be hit and miss/ a lot of work to get one tuned up......I'd love to hear actual experiences with them though.

Any reason not to do a Remage or Savage nut barrel pistol build?

How many of you are using rifle scopes vs handgun scopes?

What else should I be thinking about, or missing? How about ideas to keep costs down on a build like this?:rolleyes: I know......If I have to say it I probably shouldn't be building it! This idea is in it's pretty infant stages in my head, and it seem like it would be a fun gun for both shooting and hunting......not sure if I should even open this addiction bottle, or nip all these thoughts in the bud! :confused:

For the Contender, I think you'll have a hard time getting a Contender that's a legitimate 500 yard deer, but the Encore will do it in a slightly heavier package. I never liked the Encore trigger but I know a lot of guys who love their Encores. In general I think it's a lot easier to get good LR performance from one of the bolt action pistols than it is out of a Contender or Encore

I think the 260 would be a pretty good option since you already load for it. When you look at a chambering for a specialty pistol, remember that you'll give up 100-150fps (depending on barrel length) when compared to the same load in a 24" rifle barrel. You can always make up for that by dropping to a something like a lighter solid copper bullet. That lets you get back some velocity but still have good terminal performance. I like 17-19" barrels on my specialty pistols so the velocity loss compared to a rifle is typically not a big deal. The other option is to step up in case size. A 6.5/284 from a pistol length barrel would be very close to matching the 260/Creedmoor/6.5x47 Lapua from a rifle barrel without adding a ton of recoil.

Sometimes you can find a good deal on an XP-100 that's setup the way you want it. Same goes for the Savage Strikers, but the Savages are typically a little cheaper since there's not much of a collector market for them. I prefer the Savage Striker just because of the left hand bolt; a right handed shooter can work the bolt without letting go of the grip. If you want to build one on a new undesignated action you should plan on at least $1500 for the build. If you do that it's a lot easier to build one with a rear grip stock so you can avoid dealing with the trigger linkage required for a mid grip stock.

I like rifle scopes with a top end magnification of around 14x on my guns. With a moderate chambering like a 260 or 284 Win and a good muzzle brake you can shoot at relatively high magnification without worrying about getting kissed by the scope.

One of the best things you can do is find somebody near you who has a couple different guns for you to try out. I've taken a lot of people out who just couldn't get used to shooting the specialty pistols. If you still like the idea then try and track down a used Striker or XP in a chambering that you like and shoot that for a while. Depending on your budget, the new Nosler NCH is a really good option. They're not cheap but you'd have a hard time building a better gun for less.

Ckgworks, I have read your post about a possible build. I own an XP-100R in a switch barrel arrangement. My pistol is a 260AI. This I have employed to take WT deer, mule deer and pronghorn. This pistol as of the last couple years is a safe queen, meaning that it has not been used as of late. I have thought about selling. Perhaps we could discuss this. BTW, this XP-100R is a switch barrel arrangement with lots of upgrades. If you have any interest please PM me and we could discuss this. MTG

If it is a shotgun area that allows pistols I have to ask what the laws would be on the pistols? Most areas I know of that are shotgun that allow pistols only allow straight wall pistol cartridges. Check the laws before you dive off into the deep.

Washington does not define it that way, but I just re-read the section and it may not be legit anyway.....It says"revolver type hand guns or semi-auto of 40 cal and bigger" So I may be stuck......I need to track down our local F&W officer and run some questions by him. Under general handgun rules it would be good to go.......But an Ar pistol above 40 cal would be good to go I guess.;)

So you're in WA! That firearm restriction rule is a little irritating. I remember talking to an enforcement officer about it years ago and going round and round with him. A 25 ACP with a 4" barrel is ok, but a 44 mag contender isn't. A 45/70 contender is a no go, but it's fine in a revolver. A scoped 460 S&W has an effective range of 150+ yards and it's alright, but an iron sighted single shot pistol is a no.

It drove me nuts until I just gave up and used a 45/70 revolver. The look on the face of first warden I bumped into was classic. Lol

I assume you're in western WA, so we may be able to meet up at some point of you do end up wanting to go with a bolt action handgun at some point. I'm a little ways west of the Olympia area.

It drove me nuts until I just gave up and used a 45/70 revolver. The look on the face of first warden I bumped into was classic. Lol.

:D:D:D:p wish I could have seen that!
Yes it's obvious whoever wrote the rules on this could figure out how to say what they were trying to say and just made some blanket statements....wish they clean it up.
I'm southeast of you a little bit, and would love to take you up on your offer at some point....if I don't impulse buy one:( the idea is still neat to me!

Experiences with my XP-100R include a long shot of 377 paces, my paces, on a 15" pronghorn buck with a 260AI bbl. with hand loaded 107 grain Sierra Match Kings. Two WT bucks at within 100yds., all one and done. Two pronghorn does with the 22BR bbl. on this XP loaded with 60 grain Sierra HP, both within 100 yds. Shot prairie dogs out to +/- 200 yds. off of a portable bench. Been fun and quite an adventure.

If you like the 6.5, I would just go with the 6.5-284, use Lapua brass, H-4350 and the the 140 class bullet of your choice (130 AB would work fine too), and kill till your heart is content. I would recommend a Holland Radial Baffle brake. I prefer center-grip designs for hunting and field shooting myself, but I have rear grips too. I would be glad to visit with you if you have any questions.
E

yrs bac a FRIEND got me to join him pistol hunting in shotgun land that opened up to pistol hunting , his was a ss/Encore in 708 rem,mine was Savage super stricker in 308, wanted a 708 couldn't get one so went 308 ,his doted on Varget n 130 gn Speer hot cor SPZ'S OUT OF HIS 15 INCH BBL , MINE DOTED ON SIERRA'S 125 SPZ'S & Varget also, they shot like rifles if you could hold them stedy,its a test of WILLS & Indurance and you don't always score on your quary,hunting this way is specialized and not everyone makes the cut, cause its ,tuff when you put the time in and don't score, But then again when it does come together its Truly Golden and great fun to boot. my bbl length was 14 inchs & a ss finish. By all means try it ifin you've got the time, we scoped our pistols with Burris 2x7 with posi-loc & their hold over plex retical, still own mine its stock is laminated with a rite hand grip and left handed bolt, its taked 2 bucks & 3 does , yeah I like it !!! maybe Elk someday,wit a tsx 150 Barnes , Cheer's 2 all pistol hunters!!! thks

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.