Lightweight scope for 338 suggestions and scope review

bmnkbrandon

The threads on here for lightweight scopes are overwhelming and don’t quite answer my questions. What I’m really looking for is someone to sell me on a specific scope.

I’ve had a trigicon credo, and a razor lht.
Both of which the glass quality was good but not great. I recently set up the credo, razor, a viper, and a bushnell xrs 2 for a test. All set to 15x and the following was my conclusion:

Credo: absolutely great. Tracked well, turrets felt good. Low light conditions it didn’t perform the best but not bad. Not the biggest fan of the reticle but better than the vortex viper series of reticles by far.

Razor lht: at 440 yards the picture was clearer than the Trijicon (subjective), tracked well. Not great in low light but it’s only a 42mm objective lense. Reticle was surprisingly pleasing. Windage knob mushy but don’t use it for hunting anyways.

Viper: two steps down from the razor in every category. Glass subpar, reticle busy. Did track well though, just a bit heavy.

Bushnell xrs 2: threw this one in there to compare to a “high end” scope. What I found was that this scope is actually a lot better than the previous three I tested. Tracked spot on, turrets felt great. Low light was amazingly clear and crisp. At 440 yards I could read 1.5 inch tall letters without issue even on 15x. Downside is it is super flipping heavy

Now with all this in mind, I am in need of a scope in the razor lht weight class but I want something that has much better glass quality and is tough. With all of the experts on here, I’m sure someone could point me in the right direction. A sub 22 ounce scope in the 15x range that will hold up for a mountain rifle. It will be going on a new 33 nosler build I am having hart barrels make a barrel for. Thanks in advance keyboard warriors

From experience for exactly what you're looking for, the swaro z5 will be the best glass for the weight. Next up is vortex razor amg, they can be had for 1500, and at that price they're very hard to beat. If I were doing it again, I'd pay the weight penalty and go 4-20 or 4-16 atacr with 50mm obj. That NF should be the best and nearly indestructible.

I went through 4 or 5 on my 12lb 338rum. SWFA 5-20 hd, pretty good, decent price, simple reticle. Next was the XRS2, similar level with the swfa honestly, but heavier. Then used an amg for a while, but the rifle killed the parallax. Repaired under warranty, but moved to a little less aggressive rig. Final scope and what's on it now in the razor lht 4.5-22×50. Dials reliably, holding zero through about 100rds. Decent glass, decent turrets, usable illumination. After all that, though, still want the atacr for reliability.

Above recommendations for Swaro Z5 is what I too would suggest. I have the 3.5-18 X 44 BRH on my .340 Weatherby. Check the specs on whatever scope(s) make your final list and make sure they have a generous eye relief. With the 338, you don't want too short of an eye relief.

You haven't given a budget or I missed it.
For your application you might look at
Swarovski. I have a Z5 3.5 - 18x44
It's under your weight request.
Great scope. 👍

sounds like I might hunt down a Swarovski. I have a couple razor lht (2 brand new never been mounted) that maybe I’ll be selling if I end up liking the Swarovski when I find one. Unless someone would want to trade. I know I’m asking for a lot but having a scope as nice as the xrs2 that’s lightweight would be awesome. It’s going to be an under 7 pound bare rifle so I’m sure a tough scope will be required. When I get my barre from hart (10 month lead time) I’ll be sharing my results. It’ll be my first hart barrel and it’s going on an arc lightweight cdg action in a stockys stock. Thank you all for the recommendations, never looked at the Swarovski until now. Let me know if any of you want to get rid of one!

I have a March 3-24x52 on my 338NM,last 9 years.Its been in some serious mountain hunts fell on it many times, also in a roll over with me in my jeep ended up in back cargo area on that,sites in NF ultralites 23 0z. Have a NF 2-20 on my 6.5 prc its 30 oz but very compact
IMG_3369.jpeg

A relatively light weight .338 weighing 10-12 pounds that is intended for hunting with using powder charges over 74 grains and bullets weighing 200 - 250 grains at over 2700 fps will generate about 30 or so foot pounds of recoil. All parts of the rifle will be subjected to recoil force,including the scope and its internal components like lenses and internal adjustment parts.

My thinking would be go light weight on the scope, like 44mm and possibly smaller diameter objective lens. Larger and heavier internal parts will make for greater momentum forces upon recoil. All connected internal parts like erector tubes & springs will be subjected to recoil generated impulse forces.

Screenshot (929).png