Lightest 223 suppressor for hunting

marksman1941

This horse has been beaten to death a few hundred times, but with new releases all the time it's hard to know the full gamut of what's out there and what's proven.

I currently have a lovely, slim little Howa Mini .223 threaded 1/2-28. My wife has decided that it should wear a suppressor full time (how this worked out I am not sure but I'm gonna strike while the iron is hot 😬). This is a hunting rifle with infrequent range trips, not a high volume shooter. Since the whole package, scope included, weighs 5.6 lbs I would rather not hang a large ballast on the end if I can avoid it. I have a SiCo Omega 300 that runs about 14 oz, and it changes the balance of the rifle a lot.

Ideally I would like to find the lightest suppressor that has decent noise reduction for low volume fire applications. Here's where it gets goofy;
* The AB Raptor 8 is marketed at 8oz, and can be had with up to a .375 bore. If I went this route, I could use the can on my .375 Jaguar as well which would be a hoot. These run about $900 plus stamp.
* there's a host of titanium .30 caliber cans that are in the 7-9 oz range which are highly regarded (nomad ti, scythe, etc). They tend to be in the $1000-$1300 range.

I can't however find any specific, ultralight 223 cans that dip much below that 8oz mark. Am I missing some section of the market, or is that just the feasible lower limit of manufacturing for a good can? Should I just get the .375 Raptor 8 with a .223 end cap and call it a day?

Thanks for the help in advance!

I'm not a huge fan of the straight Ti cans... but there's merit to their uses of course.

I'm a huge fan of Diligent Defense Enticer S Ti, which is a 30 cal can, but has some modularity to it; Otter Creek Labs also has a couple of Ti options, one of which is the Lithium, which is marketed as a 9mm can, but is rated for 223 for up to 50 rounds, from 16" barrels or longer.

AB is good stuff too, compared to the DD cans, though.

I'm not a huge fan of the straight Ti cans... but there's merit to their uses of course.

I'm a huge fan of Diligent Defense Enticer S Ti, which is a 30 cal can, but has some modularity to it; Otter Creek Labs also has a couple of Ti options, one of which is the Lithium, which is marketed as a 9mm can, but is rated for 223 for up to 50 rounds, from 16" barrels or longer.

AB is good stuff too, compared to the DD cans, though.
I hadn't seen otter creek before. That is certainly the size I would like to have on the rifle. I can't find much real world review of how that can performs with a 223. I'll do some more digging on it though. Thank you!

I hadn't seen otter creek before. That is certainly the size I would like to have on the rifle. I can't find much real world review of how that can performs with a 223. I'll do some more digging on it though. Thank you!
You betcha. I have the Polonium and have really come to enjoy it. It even suppresses my 17hmr very nicely until I get my Stainless can out of jail.

Diligent Defense Wolf Hunter is their 6mm can that only weighs 8oz. They suppress very well, and will do much better than an overbored can.

It's only slightly larger than a K can but will be much more comfortable to shoot.

Don't get a 375 cal can for a 223, you won't be happy and that is antithetical to your goal of smallest/lightest/most efficient possible.

If you are going the multical route, get an Enticer STi instead and buy the 223 end cap, you'll get better results.

Don't get a 375 cal can for a 223, you won't be happy and that is antithetical to your goal of smallest/lightest/most efficient possible.

If you are going the multical route, get an Enticer STi instead and buy the 223 end cap, you'll get better results.
Will there be a large difference in a 30 cal can with a 223 end cap vs a 375 can with a 223 end cap? The weight is the same between the enticer and the raptor 8

Will there be a large difference in a 30 cal can with a 223 end cap vs a 375 can with a 223 end cap? The weight is the same between the enticer and the raptor 8
Most likely. It's not just about the end cap, it's about the hole through the entire can.

There's a reason they make caliber-specific Raptors of the same/similar external dimensions, and not just a single 375 with components.

My point is, be real with yourself as to whether that can will ever see anything larger than a 6 ARC, let alone a big bore, and make your decision based on that.

Most likely. It's not just about the end cap, it's about the hole through the entire can.

There's a reason they make caliber-specific Raptors of the same/similar external dimensions, and not just a single 375 with components.

My point is, be real with yourself as to whether that can will ever see anything larger than a 6 ARC, let alone a big bore, and make your decision based on that.
That's a good point. The reality is I would run the heck out of a 375 can if I had one, but really I'm trying to figure out whether said 375 can would work well enough on my 223, or do I just need 2 new cans

Recent Posts