Leupold Scope Warranty Service

I have never had to send back any Leupold product, but my hunting buddy dropped a pair of Wind River and broke them.
They were at least 30 years old(I had sold them to him for $50 in 2005 when I bought a pair of Zeiss)
Leupold sent him a new pair of cheaper Bino's cause they did not make the Wind River anymore.
In the mean time I had given him my original Zeiss.
I see him still using the Leupold they sent him so I ask for the Zeiss back.
Now I have a pair of Zeiss that live in the truck!

It has been 10 or so years since I used Leupold warranty service. Ironically, both time were my fault, and not a defect.

1st time- in South Africa, my tracker dropped my rifle and it landed on the scope, breaking the crosshairs loose.

2nd time - I set a pair of Wind River binoculars on my truck tool box, drove off and ended up driving over them, breaking the center hinge.

In both instances, I explained in writing what happened, expecting to pay for the repairs. Both times, Leupold covered it…scope was repaired, binoculars replaced. No charges.

Turn around time did not seem excessive, but very prompt if I recall correctly.

Last edited:
I bought a 7600 270 with a 3x9 Leupold on it. I don't recall the model. The guy I bought it from was a drunk and a carpenter. He evidently felt that all adjustments needed to be farmer tight and screwed hard -right hand.
He said he couldn't hit anything with it it always shot way to the side and slow. Besides that it was foggy. He had it down so tight that I couldn't zero it or focus it. I sent it in, Leupold sent me a new and better model.
The next one I sent in the adjustments were flakey. A click might move it a lot or not at all. They rebuilt that scope.
Neither took a long time. I didn't notice actually.

I've been a big fan of Leupold for many many years. Their excellent customer service was always part of the reason .Ex; Sent back a 30 plus year old 3x to 9x VX 2 , they couldn't fix it, and called me . Told me no more parts available to fix my old scope, so they sent me a brand new Freedom 3 X9 scope. Can you imagine sending your 30 year old TV back to Toshiba for repair??? I have no problem with the turn around time since I send any scope or rifles back to the respective factories for Repairs or Modifications, in March, with the hopes getting it back by September. So far so good. I would need a really compelling reason to purchase a different brand scope. No Issues for me !!!

Geez. That sucks.
Yeah. It does. Unfortunately they make what I have found to be the least bad handgun scope for single shots so I'm stuck with them. The day someone comes out with a LER scope that has decent glass and some option for an exposed turret they're gone. I'm trying to work something out with a manufacturer in China. I've found a few that'll make what I want, but they're unwilling to sell me a few as a sample before I order 10 or 15.

I have never had to send back any Leupold product, but my hunting buddy dropped a pair of Wind River and broke them.
They were at least 30 years old(I had sold them to him for $50 in 2005 when I bought a pair of Zeiss)
Leupold sent him a new pair of cheaper Bino's cause they did not make the Wind River anymore.
In the mean time I had given him my original Zeiss.
I see him still using the Leupold they sent him so I ask for the Zeiss back.
Now I have a pair of Zeiss that live in the truck!
Very cool!

Well... I had a VX-5HD that went wacky so sent it to Leupold for repair.
They immediately sent back an RMA number to return for repair.
Upon arrival I received an email saying expect 8 weeks for the repair or reply.

Not throwing rocks!... Understand this!...I'm completely OK with that if they repair or replace it since it's not needed for some time and I know Leupold will stand behind their product!

Anyhow... I'm wandering what your service times have been with Leupold.
I have a couple of friends who have sent scopes back and had communication with Leupold CS or returned within 2 weeks.
I guess times have changed with everything and this should come as no surprise.

Just curious...
Thanks
Guess I can't comment on repair/warrenty work. I have Leupolds on all my rifles, have for decades. I always used Leupold QR rings and had a second scope zeroed in as well and took the extra scope in case the mounted one got damaged. In all my years of mountain hunting, shoving scopes in and out of scabbards never needed the second scope. Guess I'm complacent now but don't even bother with the second scope. Had the string I was lowering a rifle out of a tree stand break once and the rifle fell 20' landing on the scope on an ice covered stone wall, rattled and bounced painfully before coming to a stop. I figured that was the end of that scope. Couldn't hardly see a scratch and it held zero and decades later still in service.
Can't ask for much more than that I guess. Great company in my experience

Guess I can't comment on repair/warrenty work. I have Leupolds on all my rifles, have for decades. I always used Leupold QR rings and had a second scope zeroed in as well and took the extra scope in case the mounted one got damaged. In all my years of mountain hunting, shoving scopes in and out of scabbards never needed the second scope. Guess I'm complacent now but don't even bother with the second scope. Had the string I was lowering a rifle out of a tree stand break once and the rifle fell 20' landing on the scope on an ice covered stone wall, rattled and bounced painfully before coming to a stop. I figured that was the end of that scope. Couldn't hardly see a scratch and it held zero and decades later still in service.
Can't ask for much more than that I guess. Great company in my experience
Indeed!

I've had to send one leupold scope in due to what appeared to be black specks on the internal lens. After about three months it was returned. Less black specks but still several. Called cs and returned it again.
2-3 months later I called to see when my scope might be finished and returned. The guy I was speaking with found my scope and said it would be repaired soon. If memory serves me, it was another month or more before I got my scope back. Specks included.
I own several Leupold scopes and never had an issue with the others but I wasn't impressed with my cs/qa experience.

I bought a pair of Gold Ring binoculars in 1988 at the AAFES store in Denver Colorado at the now decommissioned Lowry AFB. (I was US Army at a tech school). The sum was $350….a huge sum of money to an E2. (At the time).

Long story short. 36 years later that pair of binoculars stopped focusing and I sent them in for warranty repair. Since that model had been discontinued some 20 years in the past. Leupold customer service called me to explain and apologize and they upgraded my replacement. Took 10-14 days door to door.

I have owned and still own all the snobby brands,..
Leupold is a class act. Solid products with warranty and customer support that is in a league of there own in my book.

Have a blessed day.

I have owned quite a few scopes of different manufacture and finally settled on Leupold as the best scope that I could afford. Currently own and use eight or ten, mostly VX's. I pull a rifle out of the truck safe or corner of the bedroom and shoot the rifle. To the best of my 73 year old memory I have never had an issue with Leupold scopes. So years ago when I was walking into a hunting area I slipped and fell very hard on a ice covered rocky trail. Just knew my scope was not going recover from the damage of being under me as I fell. Went back to a spot the test fire the rifle and according to the very small rocks that I was hitting at 287 yards felt like I could continue my hunt. That scope looks like I use it for a hammer but I have not had to move/adjust that scope in the fifteen years since that fall.
For my money, not a lot mind you, there is no better scope. Period.