Land ownership timeline? (BLM to private)

Gave this a good read and with a few exceptions you all did good. And they were tiny exceptions at that. Had this been a general public debate political heads would have been exploding by now. You all bumped up against politics and showed a remarkable amount of restraint. Or maybe thats the way we are naturally (outdoor gun type people). Sure wish all could behave so well.

Doesn't Backcountry Hunters and Anglers track these things and offer pathways for people to engage with elected officials? I don't know much about them in truth, hopefully they aren't too controversial or anything, but they seem to be the Unusual Whales of public land issues.
BHA does a great job of tracking issues and providing information and guidance on giving input for its constituents to their elected officials. Some people don't like them because they don't just follow the mantra of "my team can do no wrong". They're happy to challenge either side of the aisle when it comes to preserving public land and public access when it comes to hunting.

BHA does a great job of tracking issues and providing information and guidance on giving input for its constituents to their elected officials. Some people don't like them because they don't just follow the mantra of "my team can do no wrong". They're happy to challenge either side of the aisle when it comes to preserving public land and public access when it comes to hunting.
That’s very interesting. Unfortunately that has become the baseline behavior for way too many advocacy groups. I can think of a few major famous examples of groups that have erased their middle ground and subscribe to winning more than getting their way. For a non political example, I work in the 4x4 industry and the misleading nonsense that gets spewed to counter trail management plans is amazing and sickening. Suddenly every dog track and prospecting trail that hasn’t been wheeled since the 60s is in red on a map that says something like 70 PERCENT CLOSURE THEYRE CLOSING OUR PUBLIC LAND. No, they’re trying to contain a free for all and keep unique environment from becoming a degraded wasteland. And they closed 70 percent of the trails in one of the eleven management zones, not 2/3 of all the trails. Blatant lying that offers no opportunity for any outcome. Overt denial of reality. We can either sell tickets or we can stop people from trying to drive on every surface, and stop instagrammers from cutting their own new campsite and paths to the river. Those are the two solutions, there’s not a third option. But the trail use associations are as bad as PETA, they have adopted the NRA playbook of “participation in the process is compromise is infringement.” (Im not saying the nra is wrong, I’m saying it’s inappropriate in this circumstance.)

So I’ll have to look them up for fascination if nothing else.

Recent Posts