Land ownership timeline? (BLM to private)

Doesn't Backcountry Hunters and Anglers track these things and offer pathways for people to engage with elected officials? I don't know much about them in truth, hopefully they aren't too controversial or anything, but they seem to be the Unusual Whales of public land issues.

Your local county clerk should have record of the land transfer. Likely a patent was recorded. A patent is the first document transferring land from government ownership to private ownership.

Well there is a difference between land ownership and land use.
For example, mining claims have typically been allowed on public lands. At a time when elements for semiconductors, rare earth magnets and similar that are critical for military and industrial supply chain security, these mining claims have been banned by the feds - even after approval from the states. Other countries, especially adversarial ones with far fewer or even zero environmental safeguards have already developed monopolies both domestically and in third world countries.
Oil and gas leases have also been essentially shut off nationwide, resulting in our dependence on hostile nations for fuel. At the same time our strategic petroleum reserve has been bled down to nothing in order to somewhat stem the inevitable price increases in an effort to buy votes at the expense of our security.
At the same time the Chinese have been fishing illegally wherever they can get away with it, meanwhile bullying small countries out of their own territorial waters with naval vessels.
Forestry management in certain states has also been an unmitigated disaster. Banning selective logging and controlled burns in the name of ecology or something results in vast amounts of undergrowth and dense timber and brush. Then when lightning or powerlines inevitably cause fires, they burn uncontrollably and so hot that they burn down even to the roots. Then when it rains there are rock and mudslides that wipe out roads, houses and etc. leaving a wasteland with no habitat for wildlife. In places like Europe and Japan they have managed the forests for centuries, unlike our modern 'enlightened' eco 'scientists'.
They really believe that humans are an invasive species to be eradicated whilst protecting endangered cockroaches or whatever.
On the other hand the number of cattle allowed to graze on BLM and National Forest lands is obscene, and, coincidentally, profitable. You can't even pitch a tent in most meadows without clearing half a dozen cow pies. The numbers must be reduced substantially IMHO.
I've seen a lot of stupid things over the years. It's the environmentatist that go to court and fight everything to allow the forest to burn down later on.
Just like Yellowstone. They fought select cutting during the winter, only to have it all go up in smoke. You don't hear much about that now.
Just like our windmill for electic power. I call them: "Bird and Bat killer's of the USA". The amount of pollution that is created to building one. There isn't any return and infact it's a negative. More pollution than it saves, plus all the birds and bats that are killed each year. I call them the bird killer USA. "STUPID IS, STUPID DOES". HERE YOUR SIGN. It's clear as mud, and if they would pull their heads out of the mud, they could see more clearly.

Well, you can pee down your leg about it if you want. I'm just stating fact.
Thanks for the polite suggestions. Lots of cogent adult behavior around here. All I did was point out that I know how swapping generally works but it is still a purchase by a developer in the end.

The same thing is starting to happen here in Nevada. Public land is being turned over to private entities. This trend is very alarming.
It would be interesting, and alarming if Nevadan officials were starting to use the Utah playbook, and also to see where and what is being scooped up and by whom. With most prospecting gone Utah is now a state built by developers, for developers to the point that they’re starting to intentionally turn the public on agriculture (for water more than land). So based on familiarity I assume that’s what’s going to happen over there but id be curious what you see.

Most of the western Republican politicians are in favor of taking as much federal land as possible and transferring it to state ownership, where they can then sell it off to the highest bidder(s). Your boy Chaffetz there in UT was a big voice for it back in his day as a state representative. It's maddening for sure. I digress here a little, but it's pretty interesting how neither side really supports us public land hunters. On the left, many of them want to take guns away and some would like to stop hunting altogether. On the right, they'd just as soon sell every inch of public land to private ownership for development and/or extraction, or whatever else can make money for a corporation....

But to your original, question, I don't know how to research that through any of the apps or websites. I'd bet someone on here does though....
Just a question, whose land was it before Teddy Roosevelt seized it and called it Federal Land? Where in the constitution did he get his authority to do so? While we are at it, who did the railroad steal it from when they created a program to sell off parcels adjacent to the railroad…
Land theft has been going on ever since possession became 9/10 of the law.

I am most worried about foreign ownership of our lands, public or private, who gets to decide you can sell it to a person or a country we would not want to have it??? Something tells me this is going to be the new century land grab… I just can’t figure out how it’s gonna happen.

Oil and gas leases have also been essentially shut off nationwide, resulting in our dependence on hostile nations for fuel. At the same time our strategic petroleum reserve has been bled down to nothing in order to somewhat stem the inevitable price increases in an effort to buy votes at the expense of our security.
I'm sorry to hear some feel the sagebrush land is "worthless" because it isn't! I'm also sorry to hear some feel that we have obscene" numbers of cattle on BLM and Forest Service land!
We've got to remember what group continually wants to shut down ALL fossil fuel extraction – which is the left! The left is also the group wanting to shut ALL hunting and consumption of our food supply of meat – again the left! They also want to lock up ALL public land to any human use!
I've been involved in the fight against the animal rights agenda for nearly 20 years on a local, state and national level! I've gotten to know the extremists on a personal level locally in Oregon as well as at the state level! The exact same personality type that drives the extremist animal rights people is also behind the progressive agenda of the left (U.N. Agenda 21) and that comes from a misanthropic personality rather than a desire to save the earth – and is essentially a hatred of ALL mankind! Many on the left actually advocate the extinction of the human race -- except they're too important to go first!!
They often feel "the means justifies the end" which means they'll lie to you, break the law and twist the facts in order to suit their agenda!
When we believe they're being truthful, we're not seeing their twisted thought process!
So -- don't buy into their lies!

Many on the left actually advocate the extinction of the human race -- except they're too important to go first!!

That made me laugh. I’ve met several of those folks in my lifetime.

Conversations have gone like the following:

Them: We have too many people on the planet.
Me: Do you believe we have to reduce the world’s population and want to take immediate and positive action toward that goal?
Them: Yes!
Me: Are you committed to take the first step toward realizing your goal? Do you REALLY BELIEVE?
Them: Yes. YES!
Me: Suicide is your answer. Do it now. Today. Anything less is hypocrisy.

Yeah, Crockett, that really wasn’t the solution they had in mind. As you said, it’s about everyone else going away. To my knowledge none have been really committed to taking the first step. They are not so noble as to sacrifice themselves to save others.

Check with the Clerk and Recorder, or call your local field office with jurisdiction over the property and ask them, or look up the Utah GIS system and see if they have transfer dates, in MT they list the document information and you can go pull if from the public records if that is a thing in Utah... the government can do what it wants with its land, and they will get special treatment anytime they are changing title to property.

I'm not finding much luck yet looking this up, but does anyone know of a relatively quick way to tell when BLM land was transferred to private? While looking at Onx for another reason, I noticed that a relatively popular, accessible chukar/shooting/scenic area I frequent is now private. I don't know why I want to know when, it's not going to change anything, but I'm just a little chapped. Especially because I was there so recently using OnX to find my sunglasses, lol.

Anyway, it's exasperating. Another unique location has been transferred from public ownership to a private entity. Along with the guzzlers and the roads built by the public. Even more cynically: this purchase happens to coincide with an increase on reporting on the magnesium factory bordering this parcel, and that reporting that is being led by a news organization owned by the same private entity as the land purchase. Is the plant bad? Oh yes. But it's been a menace for decades and suddenly we're seeing it in the news and public discussion at the same time that developers are almost out of especially scenic property to develop near SLC.

I'm no anti-capitalist, but it drives me deeply crazy that we have politicians running on the merits of "transferring of land from bureaucrats to local management" (actual current political ad) when all that means is "taking land away from the local users and letting the wealthy own it."
Just go to the county tax assessors office. They will have all that info.

Go in with some buddies and get a few acres in southern Ohio. Put a little trailer on it and shoot more deer and turkeys any time you want.
Hunting on a few acres sounds miserable. I’d rather have the entirety of public land available to me at all times. I hate being in a spot and being worried about how close I am to a fence or some other property or whatever it is. I want to roam from ridge to ridge and stop when I get tired or I see something. I also don’t care too much to sit still in one spot for very long. You guys back east can have all of that if that’s what you like but I hate it.

I've seen a lot of stupid things over the years. It's the environmentatist that go to court and fight everything to allow the forest to burn down later on.
Just like Yellowstone. They fought select cutting during the winter, only to have it all go up in smoke. You don't hear much about that now.
Just like our windmill for electic power. I call them: "Bird and Bat killer's of the USA". The amount of pollution that is created to building one. There isn't any return and infact it's a negative. More pollution than it saves, plus all the birds and bats that are killed each year. I call them the bird killer USA. "STUPID IS, STUPID DOES". HERE YOUR SIGN. It's clear as mud, and if they would pull their heads out of the mud, they could see more clearly.
They want green energy?? There's enough geothermal energy in Yellowstone to power the entire North America Continent. And some scientists believe enough to power most of the world.

Recent Posts