Labradar?

They've been hyping LabRadar for nearly a year now but nothing materializes. Their web site said they'd have it available in the Fall of 2014. Their web site invites you to submit an email address for updates and to be placed on a list of those interested in purchasing one when it's avaiable but emails don't get answered and there aren't any available models.
I had high hopes for this dandy tool but I've given up on it. Even if it's released I won't buy one for at least a year cuz, based on the company's history as I've viewed it, reliability is not their strong suit.
http://www.mylabradar.com/#Purchase

They've been hyping LabRadar for nearly a year now but nothing materializes. Their web site said they'd have it available in the Fall of 2014. Their web site invites you to submit an email address for updates and to be placed on a list of those interested in purchasing one when it's avaiable but emails don't get answered and there aren't any available models.
I had high hopes for this dandy tool but I've given up on it. Even if it's released I won't buy one for at least a year cuz, based on the company's history as I've viewed it, reliability is not their strong suit.
LabRadar - My Personal Radar

Well said

If it turns out anywhere near $550 I'll be signing up. I love my chrono but I don't love setting it up and getting it aligned.

I appreciate your thoughts on waiting a while though. Let them get the bugs out before jumping in. As with a lot of new gizmos, software plays a big part in the operation and it is tough to put out bug free software. I wrote a program for a chronograph myself and it was 25,000 lines of code just for the basic features. That is a lot to not screw up on the first attempt.

Having said that - did you see the part where this thing can read the velocity anywhere from the muzzle to 100 yards? No more wondering what BC you are getting. That will be nice.

Hopefully it will run on a couple of AAs for a week. But something tells me that is not very likely.

LabRadar - My Personal Radar

yep it reminds me of particular 7mm bullet :)

now i usebuger 180g and i bought a magnetospeed v3 chronograph

Having said that - did you see the part where this thing can read the velocity anywhere from the muzzle to 100 yards? No more wondering what BC you are getting. That will be nice.

I agree, assuming your using G7. 100 yards won't get you an accurate G1 for long range work. But with all of the testing Bryan Litz has done on almost any bullet one would use, kind of makes BC testing with this unnecessary.

mitch260

When you fire a bullet down the barrel it gets engraved by the rifling which I'm figuring alters the BC some small amount. Labradar may make it pretty easy to determine the BC of bullets fired from your rifling be it 4 groove, 5R, 6 groove or whatever. I'll be interested to see if in fact this is important at all and maybe this tool can help with that.

mitch260

When you fire a bullet down the barrel it gets engraved by the rifling which I'm figuring alters the BC some small amount. Labradar may make it pretty easy to determine the BC of bullets fired from your rifling be it 4 groove, 5R, 6 groove or whatever. I'll be interested to see if in fact this is important at all and maybe this tool can help with that.

I spoke with the guy (Richard Mouser) about this at SHOT last week. Nice guy and really knows his stuff. My biggest take-aways from the conversation were:

1) The Labradar was developed by a company who makes larger scale doppler radar units. This alone boosted my confidence in the unit. Knowing that it's made by people with experience makes a difference. Of course the final proof will be in the mass deployment at the commercial price point, but I'm more optimistic than before regarding the potential accuracy.

2) Delays seemed to be related to a key individual having serious health issues. I didn't get the details, but know what it's like to get beat up over falling behind a timeline. I think we'd all rather wait as long as necessary for them to get it right rather than rush it out. First impressions are important and this will be the first time radar is available to the general shooter so I don't blame them for taking the time. Failing the FCC approval was a false rumor.

3) The unit probably won't work well for measuring BC's. I asked about placing a unit downrange to measure velocity at 300, 600, etc. Richard explained several problems with this, and he was the guy there selling them. As for measuring BC with a unit at the muzzle and tracking it for 100 yards... well 100 yards is the best case scenario for large caliber, flat base bullets. More nominal range is like 60-80 yards with the furthest ranges being the least certain (more error prone the further you get downrange).

I think the units will be good for their intended purpose, which is measuring MV. Don't be disappointed if it's not good at something it's not intended for (measuring BC's).

-Bryan

Bryan

Thanks for the feedback from the SHOT show. I had the same thought regards the company - knowing that they have produced more complex bigger radar means that the consumer version should be well within their capability. I'm already saving up my pennies. Did you get any updates on the anticipated MSRP for one of these units?

As to the one unit not being useful for figuring BCs input you got, that makes sense. The signal to noise ratio back at the radar has got to be getting pretty small as the bullet moves away and at some point it doesn't work anymore. That it can read a bullet 50 yards away is in itself pretty impressive. Just curious but what were the reasons Richard gave for multiple units placed down range not working to measure BCs? They would not suffer from signal to noise issues.

Labradar was developed by infinition, who makes commercial grade ballistic radars. I've used infinition radars many times in ballistics tests. Reliable triggering is critical, and these radars are triggered acoustically by placing a microphone right next to the muzzle. They also sell optical triggers, but I haven't used one.

In my experience, even the expensive infinition radars are limited to about 600 yards range or less for small calibers. Ballistic radars can be somewhat sensitive to terrain features and down range objects.

In my work, I'm often looking for spin rate data. With the infinition radars we use, data analysis is largely a manual process, often requiring some trial and error. Doppler sidebands have to be identified in noisy data and fit to an analytic function. Operation could be easier for just muzzle velocities.

If the Labradar works well, I'm buying one. The YouTube videos look pretty cool, but I rarely use a chrono when no one else is shooting next to me. If the Labradar doesn't operate reliably at a public range, I'll pass.

Before I commit to buying, I want to see a few range reports under typical shooting conditions, especially at a covered line with other shooters next to the radar. My main concerns are:

How reliable is the software? I want an accurate muzzle velocity every time I pull the trigger. When I set up an optical chrono, that's what I get at least 95% of the time. If the Labradar software is not robust, that won't happen.

You have to manually arm the Labradar before each shot. The software takes about a second to process data and display results after the gun fires. Then you have to arm the radar again for the next shot. The settings menu offers five trigger levels. After optimizing trigger levels, how often does the Labradar false trigger when someone next to me fires a gun? What if I'm firing an unbraked .223 rifle and the person next to me is firing a braked .338 Edge?

Do I need the external trigger for archery to prevent false triggers? How much does it cost and when will it be available? I would prefer to attach a trigger to the gun. This what I usually do when I want a reliable trigger in a ballistics test.

Do metallic targets down range cause interference if they are within the field of view of the antenna? A 12" metal target will have a radar cross section 2,300 times higher than that of a .25 cal bullet. Will the radar receiver handle that background signal? Labradar has two power levels. The lower one is recommended to reduce interference from down range objects, but this setting has a shorter range. How much shorter?

bruce

That is great info. Thanks for schooling me on the many aspects of radar about which I had no clue. Now my head hurts. That happens when I have to think about more than two things at the same time.

Let me say that I am less enthusiastic than I was about Labradar. My chrono works perfectly 99.9% of the time so the potential issues with radar triggering and such may give one pause. The thing I don't like about my chrono is a somewhat involved setup and alignment process. If you don't ensure it is perfectly aligned it will read slow so that is a necessary part of using it. You also can only shoot at the target to which it was aligned. The Magnetospeed solves the alignment problem at the expense of zero shift when it is attached to the barrel, but if you have multiple rifles you rotate so all stay cool, it isn't so friendly to switch from rifle to rifle to rifle. Time will tell.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts