Knife Selection

Good knifes I love along with good guns and horses. Carried a pocket knife since my grand father Siers gave me a little pocket knife when I was about 4 years old. He taught me to sharpen and take care of knives.
I have had a lot of trouble with people in my kitchen. I tell them, Do not put any sharp knives in the sink. Lay them on the right side of the sink , I will take care of them. I once dated a woman that threw my Old Hickory slicer in sink, Washing dishes the water discolored and she got hold of the knife. Cut all 4 fingers on her right hand. I came in, Blood from kitchen down hall and to the bathroom. She left a good blood trail to.

I have some knives, I have bought knives, I have been given knives, And I have made knives.
Here is a picture of my cheap favorite knives, Had both since a about 1964.

DSC00711.JPG
On the left an Opinel folder bought it in France for 50 cents USA, When my Boker Tree Brand got away from me. Has some of the best edge holding steel and easiest to sharpen I have ever used. The one on the right is a knife I make while in the Army in France. Blade, Broken 1960 era power hacksaw blade, Hilt, Broken water valve stem, Handle, Broken pool Cue butt. Don't remember the last time I even touched the edge up. They have seen a lot of critters, Moose, Elk, deer and many black bears. Opening up a black bear hide is a good test how good the edge will hold.

I do not like any replaceable blade knives I have ever tried. If the blade moves any in its holder you cannot control its direction. If you get your hands close together if the blade moves in its holder, It will get you.

Bill Bonnet an old black smith taught me a neat way to check a knife to see if it is sharp, When I worked with him in his shop. Take the knife by the back of the handle, Set the blade slightly angled against your hair, Let the the knife slide down your hair, If the blade catches and hangs in your hair it is sharp, If it slides down your hair toward your ear, Stop it and work on the edge some more.

Good knifes I love along with good guns and horses. Carried a pocket knife since my grand father Siers gave me a little pocket knife when I was about 4 years old. He taught me to sharpen and take care of knives.
I have had a lot of trouble with people in my kitchen. I tell them, Do not put any sharp knives in the sink. Lay them on the right side of the sink , I will take care of them. I once dated a woman that threw my Old Hickory slicer in sink, Washing dishes the water discolored and she got hold of the knife. Cut all 4 fingers on her right hand. I came in, Blood from kitchen down hall and to the bathroom. She left a good blood trail to.

I have some knives, I have bought knives, I have been given knives, And I have made knives.
Here is a picture of my cheap favorite knives, Had both since a about 1964.

View attachment 361719
On the left an Opinel folder bought it in France for 50 cents USA, When my Boker Tree Brand got away from me. Has some of the best edge holding steel and easiest to sharpen I have ever used. The one on the right is a knife I make while in the Army in France. Blade, Broken 1960 era power hacksaw blade, Hilt, Broken water valve stem, Handle, Broken pool Cue butt. Don't remember the last time I even touched the edge up. They have seen a lot of critters, Moose, Elk, deer and many black bears. Opening up a black bear hide is a good test how good the edge will hold.

I do not like any replaceable blade knives I have ever tried. If the blade moves any in its holder you cannot control its direction. If you get your hands close together if the blade moves in its holder, It will get you.

Bill Bonnet an old black smith taught me a neat way to check a knife to see if it is sharp, When I worked with him in his shop. Take the knife by the back of the handle, Set the blade slightly angled against your hair, Let the the knife slide down your hair, If the blade catches and hangs in your hair it is sharp, If it slides down your hair toward your ear, Stop it and work on the edge some more.
Hahahaha. I have trouble to this day trying to keep knives out of dishwater. I guess there's not enough blood in the water!

Some people thinks stainless cutlery is safe to put in a dishwasher. I bought a set of steak knives, The knives are stainless steel including the handles. On the package it said Do Not Place In Dishwasher, Detergent will Etch the edge.

Never place a good knife in a dishwasher. Never place a knife of any kind in there please. They will rattle around against each other if the don't etch the blade. Wash, dry by hand, put away, separately. You won't cut yourself with an unseen knife either. I use my Randalls and others daily. They're great after 50 years. I can hear the chorus now.

Never place a good knife in a dishwasher. Never place a knife of any kind in there please. They will rattle around against each other if the don't etch the blade. Wash, dry by hand, put away, separately. You won't cut yourself with an unseen knife either. I use my Randalls and others daily. They're great after 50 years. I can hear the chorus now.
May I invite you over to teach my family!

The McCrosky knives put an end to worrying about having a sharp knife to skin and butcher 4 elk in a row.

The Elk skinner is all you need, but after you get one, you will want every knife they make.

I had a variety of Buck knives, 4 Pumas', and a couple of other German knives, sold them all...no regret and that was 15 years ago!

I skinned and butchered 8 deer at our deer camp with the Trapper set, knives would still shave you!

A good knife makes for easy skinning and butchering, not to mention you just enjoy using a quality sharp knife that keeps on going!

I am a customer, not family of

McCroskyknives.com in Stillwater, Ok
I'm thinking about getting one of Dave's elk knives as I spoke with him the other day and he has me sold on them. Double H knives out of Georgia makes an excellent knife also which is my only custom knife currently. What do you use to split the pelvic bone on deer & elk?

Attachments

• C3401C5D-8242-42BC-A850-194E129FFC4F.jpeg
    C3401C5D-8242-42BC-A850-194E129FFC4F.jpeg
    227.4 KB · Views: 84
I'm thinking about getting one of Dave's elk knives as I spoke with him the other day and he has me sold on them. Double H knives out of Georgia makes an excellent knife also which is my only custom knife currently. What do you use to split the pelvic bone on deer & elk?
I make all my own knives and give away to friends I like. The design of Dave's Elk knife is really great especially the point where the blade cutting edge meets the handle. It's completely free to move forward and back. Couple this with a really good edge retention steel and look no further.
Custom makers are worth supporting to keep them there and because they can include customer likes and wishes.

The Opinel knife I carry is long enough to do cut around job and don't have to bust the pelvis on deer.
I still have carry my double bitted cruiser axe from my wildlife officer days. It has a heavy leather case it rides in, One blade sharp, Other side wedgy for splitting wood and pelvis bones. Cutting off bear legs and heads too.

I have butchered a few elk with Buck 110's, and I had a Buck Steel on my belt to touch up the knife.

Later on, I was talked into buying a McCrosky Elk Skinner...glory be. I skinned and butchered 8 whitetails in the deer club with one knife. Then I let a guy borrow the knife, he cut himself real bad, and would still shave the hair off your arm. A buddy of mine bought the McCrosky Trapper set and he skinned over 300 beavers with it till the blade needed a touch-up.

I had every Puma knife model ever made, sold them all bought three more McCrosky knives in different models. The Elk skinner is all an elk hunter or deer hunter will ever need!
Thanks for mentioning the McCrosky knives. I know own two with two more on the way. Also have one coming for all the kids. Had a comparable one with the same steel for many years with a gut hook on the backside of the blade. My daughter was using it to pop a deer joint and put too much side pressure on it and broke it. I about cried. But know have a replacement as good or probably better. Great knives.

I actually don't split the pelvic bone. When I'm packing it out I completely debone. Why pack out more weight than needs to be. If at home and need to split a larger animal for the cooler then out comes the sawzall so I can quarter it. Otherwise really no need to break the pelvis.
Indeed! That's what I started doing if was going have to drag. De-bone on the ground, especially if up hill.

Recent Posts