Knife Selection

I carry a Goodman Special Operations Combat Knife as a camp/hunting knife but also have two knives for processing along with a folding saw in my pack.

Goodman.jpg

Folding buck knife still breaks down elk just fine for me. I have a light diamond stone with my game bags in my pack. I keep a bone saw at camp just for capping skulls. I'm not too much of a hipster when it comes to breaking down elk.

Buddy I hunt with uses the havalon scalpel thingy and always ends up using my high carbon $25 mora fixed blade for some part of an animal.

His brother has the outdoor edge swap a blade set....still ends up using one on my $25 dollar Mora fixed blades.

I make custom knives for friends and family and have got pretty good at it over the last 15 years AND......I still use a $25 high carbon Mora especially on hogs.

Those swedes sure do know how to make a blade for use in the wildernes...js

I have a couple of great standard knives for hunting that are sharp.

That said, those interchangeable knives with disposable blades in 3-4 blade shapes from honing to caping to gut hook look great!

So should I set aside my standard knife set for a cheap do-it-all knife?

I have only used the interchangeable one time. It was a buddy's. I was disappointed in the edge retention. May have just been the blades I was using, don't know. I have some GOOD knives that I normally use and I felt there was no comparison.

I carry HELLE in the GT model shown here with my 6.5 PRC Browning X-Bolt Pro and Bushnell 4.5 - 28 x 44 LRTS scope.
This knife has a laminated blade with the harder steel in the core. It is made in Norway in the little costal town named Helle, naturally. The price of this knife has risen over 25% since I got it as a gift in 2018! Given its high quality it is still worth the money.
View attachment 359131

I too have a Helle that was picked up for me right at the factory. The blade has a great shape, and for me it is the right length, however....there's no guard on it, and I find the handle quite smooth, thus slippery. Have you had any issues with this knife being slippery when you are using it?? Also not too happy with the sheath because the loop allows the knife to flop around when it's on your belt.

I've been using a san mii Master Hunter from Cold Steel for years. Before that it was a SRK in carbonV steel... I gave up on Buck knives when I couldn't get more than one critter done without a full sharpening... 440 steel simply isn't good enough for a main knife IMO.

Last edited:
Probably should mention that I also carry a Leatherman with a small knife AND saw on it... you never know what you'll need a Leatherman for, but I usually have to hose/ scrub at least one out after season as it's been in the middle of a gutting party... most times for sawing bone..

Elk Skinner made by McCrosky knives will do it all, in spades....you will become a true believer!

My uncle was a taxidermist, and I have skinned hundreds of deer heads, untold fish, and birds. I know good knives.

Most hunters are drawn to a knife by looks or price point and then make it work for a job best they can. Good sharp knives will cut deep just by pressing on the knife blade.....try that with your knife.

Also, most will think that they need some large blade, the size it takes to ward off a Grizzley bear, but the opposite is true. That Elk Skinner will split the brisket on a nice buck in a skinny minute without damaging the blade, then still shave the hair off your arm two deer later.

The Quality of steel used, Cryo, and heat treat make for some very different kinds of knife blades. The blade is my main interest, looks are way down the list. I want a Fantastic cutting tool that will get the job done on multiple animals, quickly without getting dull.

A lot of custom knives are all about the pride of ownership in how they look or collectability, and I do not give a darn about either of these. I want a tool that works the way it should.