Knee pain options

As many others have said, glucosamine helps a lot of people. But you have to take it consistently for at least 2 months to see results.
The stuff I take started working in 2 days and made a huge difference in 7 days for me. Though I am an extreme example with several broken vertebrae and a few broken and damaged joints in my pelvis. The company gauranteed improvement in 7 days with the supplements I take.

The stuff I take started working in 2 days and made a huge difference in 7 days for me. Though I am an extreme example with several broken vertebrae and a few broken and damaged joints in my pelvis. The company gauranteed improvement in 7 days with the supplements I take.
That's great. Sounds like a supplement worth taking. Who makes it?

after abusing my body in the army, with multiple knee injuries and back injuries, I live on T4 pills and prescription anti inflammatorys. I just push through the pain, wear knee and ankle and back braces and just grin and bear it. I find after a hard hike or climb Ill need to double the prescribed dosage to get me through the next day, and this will continue till I can get a surgery knee replacement which wont happen for a while as they say im too young for it. Point is, find some meds that work for you to help ease the pain, and just push through it.

So I'm about 40 days out from a Aoudad sheep hunt in west Texas and I'm doing what I can to stay in shape with a pretty good work out consisting of 9 (3 sets of 3) 100 yard uphill(run uphill and walk downhill) sprints with a set of 10 push ups between each sprint and a set of flutter kicks every third sprint. So 9 uphill sprints, 100 push ups, 3 sets of flutter kicks in about 25 minutes followed by going up and down that same hill carrying a 45 pound rock 3-4 times over my head so another 20 minutes. Seems to be a pretty good mix of cardio and strength training but...

I don't actually enjoy the above mentioned workout what I actually enjoy is running which is also the only thing that seems to work for weight loss for me. Here's the problem any more than about 2 miles of running and I won't be able walk the next day due to knee pain. So my question is what kind of knee stuff have folks done. I'm only 30 and while I wasn't exactly nice to my knees in my 20s I have a hard time believing they're already gone. I went to the doc once about it and they came up with physical therapy and an appearance that nothing was wrong. What do you guys think? A second opinion? What types of knee surgery have folks gone through? Any info at all?
Osteoarthritis is wear and tear. Shots, scoping and most everything else besides resurfacing or replacement, will be temporary and may work for your hunt. Given your younger age and fitness level, I'd strongly suggest getting a good second opinion on resurfacing. I had my hip done with the BHR resurfacing when I was 48 and it's been the best thing since sliced bread, with zero pain and no limp. I know a knee is more complex but resurfacing is worth researching. Good luck!

F
So I'm about 40 days out from a Aoudad sheep hunt in west Texas and I'm doing what I can to stay in shape with a pretty good work out consisting of 9 (3 sets of 3) 100 yard uphill(run uphill and walk downhill) sprints with a set of 10 push ups between each sprint and a set of flutter kicks every third sprint. So 9 uphill sprints, 100 push ups, 3 sets of flutter kicks in about 25 minutes followed by going up and down that same hill carrying a 45 pound rock 3-4 times over my head so another 20 minutes. Seems to be a pretty good mix of cardio and strength training but...

I don't actually enjoy the above mentioned workout what I actually enjoy is running which is also the only thing that seems to work for weight loss for me. Here's the problem any more than about 2 miles of running and I won't be able walk the next day due to knee pain. So my question is what kind of knee stuff have folks done. I'm only 30 and while I wasn't exactly nice to my knees in my 20s I have a hard time believing they're already gone. I went to the doc once about it and they came up with physical therapy and an appearance that nothing was wrong. What do you guys think? A second opinion? What types of knee surgery have folks gone through? Any info at all?

First, stop running. Running is terrible on joints.
Second, get a second opinion. You don't want to get cut unless there's a reason to get cut. So you shouldn't be thinking surgery at all unless. Your bone on bone, or you have torn ligaments or tendons.

Therapy is always a good start but get yourself into a swimming pool 3x a week is also good. Swimming is good for a lot of issues and is never a detriment unless you don't know how to swim and you sink
like a log.

4 ibuprofen every 8 hours and ice packs helps during the actual hunt for the short term. Not a good long term solution.

You really need to know what the issue is before you consider options.

My next door neighbor is ex NFL line backer. He's all to familiar with career ending knee injuries. If you had a specific question I could ask him and relay the info.

Last edited:
I feel you should see a doctor ,get an MRI maybe because we are all just guessing. But I hope you do see my suggestion here and really follow it.
Get on you tube and check out KNEESOVERTOESGUY. Seriously, follow the movements and training in there, starting at the base and don't rush it. It may not be the answer for you , but it is for soooooo many guys! PTs have reviewed his work and say it's solid.

Kneesovertoesguy had a knee injury or two himself from basketball I believe. In his early 20s!
Doctor told him he could never play again, can't jump etc. Now he dunks and plays all the time.
Now what he's suggesting isn't some quick fix or miracle but hard work. It took him a year or 3 of focused , scaled progressive work to get where he is now. Anyway, getting embarrassed at how.much I'm pumping his tires...but I just know soooo many guys that hunt mts that have some knee pain. Just want to help.

Barefoot running. It restructures your running form (both mentally and physically) to run from the feet up instead of the hips down. This causes the muscles in your legs to do what God made them to do and "touch" the ground. The impact problem will go away and you will have a new problem; you will love running so much you will need more time for it!

I started barefoot running by accident and then got alot more into it after hearing a testimony of a woman on YouTube who was a marathon runner with runners knee so bad that her doctor told her she would never run again. She started barefoot running and now runs 8+ miles a day with no pain!

Barefoot running. It restructures your running form (both mentally and physically) to run from the feet up instead of the hips down. This causes the muscles in your legs to do what God made them to do and "touch" the ground. The impact problem will go away and you will have a new problem; you will love running so much you will need more time for it!

I started barefoot running by accident and then got alot more into it after hearing a testimony of a woman on YouTube who was a marathon runner with runners knee so bad that her doctor told her she would never run again. She started barefoot running and now runs 8+ miles a day with no pain!
I would be crippled in about 10 feet bare footed David

your post is vague in detail about the knee. The advice can be anywhere from don't be a bitc% to you might be acl/pcl reconstruction and in the middle somewhere being you have a ITB syndrome and need to stretch better. I still have a torn acl. Been running on it for years
I fully agree. Im medically trained and wouldn't give any advice based off those details.
OP:
I certainly wouldn't be sticking any needles in a 30yo knee without knowing what's already damaged.( if anything) Your knee pain might be from those stated above.
BUT. YOLO. GOOD HUNTING.

I

I got to call BS on this one. Although I do believe you will have a new problem, or several. But it won't be a love of running barefoot.

I

I got to call BS on this one. Although I do believe you will have a new problem, or several. But it won't be a love of running barefoot.
There is some merit. There's a reason there are zero drop running shoes, which I wear for backpacking. There's also a reason for heal drop and neutral shoes for enthusiast, semi professional and professional athletes.

There is some merit. There's a reason there are zero drop running shoes, which I wear for backpacking. There's also a reason for heal drop and neutral shoes for enthusiast, semi professional and professional athletes.
What merit, those would be called shoes.
Take an 8 miler barefoot through the woods and report back how that worked out for you.

The one exception would be a run on the beach with nice sand.

Recent Posts