Is a 1:10 twist 243 win a one load coyote gun????

We hunted in Coyote calling competitions for a long time. We hunted in Mexico quite a bit when it was safe to do so with the proper Gun Permit and Hunting liscense. We killed a lot of coyotes in Mexico per trip.

One bullet that never fails on coyotes is the 60g Sierra with Win 760 with a velocity of around 3800 fps, varget will work in spades, also. Holes are not huge with the 60g Sierra. Trying many bullets just for the fun of it, the 80g Sierra Blitz bt is another hands-down winner with a hot load of IMR 4064, super accurate. The 80g Sierra can blow a 3" hole in a coyote if up close.

If you are wanting to buy many bullets and call it done for coyote, any benchrest bullet made on the J4 Jacket is simply fantastic. Many confuse the Sierra 70g Match with the 65-68g Berger match bullets. These two bullets have completely different jackets. The Sierra's will not open well while the Bergers open very well. You need the speed of this weight bullet.

Buying a quantity of bullets for deer/hogs means that you have to look for what is available today. Availability is a huge issue in today's market. The 95g Hornady SST is available and my family has killed a lot of deer and hogs with the 100g Hornady BTSP which is available today. My friend in New Zealand told me all you need for those huge deer in New Zealand is a 243 loaded with 95g SST.

85g Sierra BTHP is a great bullet but you can not find any. I had the 85g Sierra Spt flat base pencil through Coyotes, and I would use this bullet for deer/antelope. The 95g Nosler ballistic tip is another great deer bullet, but can you find them is the question?

98, the 85g Sierra spt is the one that was not opening up for us. I don't recall having failure with the 85g bthp, but we stuck with the 80g Sierra due to the incredible speed/Accuracy with a hot load of IMR 4064 with fed 210, in the 3400 fps area with 26" barrels.

Bullets that expand well give you some latitude on hits that are low and back in the stomach when shots are taken on moving coyotes. With the 243 Win and varmint bullets that will penetrate, if you hit them in the stomach, they will be laying in their tracks, no so with a 22/250, especially at 225 yards and further. I have hit them square in the hips on a running coyote, both hip joints are mush with the 80g Sierra bt Blitz.

On a custom 243 Win barrel, a zero freebore, 12T is a dream come true. Several of us found that the 68g Bergers planted coyotes better than the 80g Berger, and they use the same J4 bullet jacket so the speed is key.

I would like to hear from someone who has killed 25+ coyotes with 75g Hornady v max. I am concerned that this very fragile bullet may blow up on shoulder/hip joints or a rib.

Just about any rifle can be a "one load coyote rifle" if you want it to be 😁😁😁🥴🥴🥴

That being said a 1:10 .243 sure makes a lot more sense than a lot of other options. Mine is an old savage 99 with a pretty heavily worn throat, not really a coyote rifle but for what it's worth it stabilizes the basic 100'grain btsp by Speer as well as anything, it's one of its favourite bullets actually.

For even sleeker or polymer tipped bullets it does pretty good with 95 b tips.

The most accurate factory ammo it's ever seen is the federal 85 grain trophy copper.

It doesn't do well with bullets lighter that 75 grains.

Far and away I'd be using the 70 NBT, it'll do great on yotes (tough on fur though if you hit major bone like spine, shoulder) and it's a stone cold killer on deer/lopes etc!

Now if you wish to hunt for pelts for 6 or 8 weeks a year then I'd build a second load around the 55 NBT. Stay off major bones and this will be quite pelt friendly.

Easy peasy...

The 243 has always been my red mist gun. A 55 nosler in front of a full load of H 414. All 4 ( couple of J actions, a Stryker and a Ruger77)shoot this load minute of prairie dog to 400 yards. Hit a rib going in on the only coyote I've taken with this combo and cutter in half! If I need a heavier bullet a bigger gun is used

I'm looking for a PELT SAVER load

So far I'm considering:

• Hornady 87gr BTHP
• Sierra 85gr BTHP Matchking
• Barnes TSX 85gr mono copper (not likely to open at lower velocitiy)
• Remington Core Lokt 100gr (vanilla, might work good)

Anything that does NOT open much, make giant exit hole, make a mist, or bloody mess of guts inside is what I'm looking for.

I figure neck or head shots inside 300yds

I'm looking for a PELT SAVER load

So far I'm considering:

• Hornady 87gr BTHP
• Sierra 85gr BTHP Matchking
• Barnes TSX 85gr mono copper (not likely to open at lower velocitiy)
• Remington Core Lokt 100gr (vanilla, might work good)

Anything that does NOT open much, make giant exit hole, make a mist, or bloody mess of guts inside is what I'm looking for.

I figure neck or head shots inside 300yds

The key to saving pelts is...stay off the big bones. Shoulder, spine and on a frontal the breast bone. If you do this the 55 NBT will be your friend!

When I left the south I sold my 2 243 rifles.Wish I had not done that as I killed many deer,hogs with 85 gr Nosler Partition until they got hard to find.Miss both rifles.
If I ever get another 6mm rifle it may be a 6mm creed or 243

Last edited:
When I left the south I sold my 2 243 rifles.Wish I had not done that as I killed many deer,hogs with 185 gr Nosler Partition until they got hard to find.Miss both rifles.
If I ever get another 6mm rifle it may be a 6mm creed or 243
WOW 185 GR. PARTITION
Out of a. 243.👍🤣🤣🤣🤣
Sorry I had to do that.