Is a 1:10 twist 243 win a one load coyote gun????

98s1lightning

From what little reading I have done a 243 is a bit heavy for coyote for saving fur, but lots of good results with 85gr bullets of the correct construction.

I read of trouble stabilizing 100gr

I figured use it as a 70-90gr rifle @ 2800-3000 ish to prolong barrel life

I wouldn't see any use in shooting heavier for deer.....just grab a heavier cal deer rifle (probly **** a lot of 243 lovers off saying that....)

I do like a purpose driven gun. And if its only good for coyote, one weight bullet, dial the load in and buy a stack of bullets and be set to go for a looooong time. Sounds good to me.

What do u guys figure?

Depending on the bullets make up
I believe 85gr.bergers maybe max.
Sierra, Speer, Hornady.... make up to 100gr that's stabilize with 10twt.
Most all my guns are purpose built.
Especially my Varmint Guns.
Find a bullet/ powder combo that works and stay with it. HAVE FUN. đź‘Ť

I guess its 2 questions:

1.) Is 1:10 twist an adequate fit for 243 with 85 grain bullets.

2.) Is the 85 grain bullet of some construction adequate to harvest pelts without significant damage (or something similar weight compatible w that twist)

I know there are many rifles over the years that shipped from the factory with less than ideal twist for application. I don't want to find that out after I already have it.

My punchline is, ill shoot a 243 before I shoot a 223 in the same size SA bolt action, since some 223s ship with a magazine spacer to make the 223 run in a gun that was designed for a longer cartridge....the 223 on SA is just carrying an oversize gun with dead weight for nothing.

Is why I found the propriety 223 mini actions very interesting

I guess its 2 questions:

1.) Is 1:10 twist an adequate fit for 243 with 85 grain bullets.

2.) Is the 85 grain bullet of some construction adequate to harvest pelts without significant damage (or something similar weight compatible w that twist)

I know there are many rifles over the years that shipped from the factory with less than ideal twist for application. I don't want to find that out after I already have it.

My punchline is, ill shoot a 243 before I shoot a 223 in the same size SA bolt action, since some 223s ship with a magazine spacer to make the 223 run in a gun that was designed for a longer cartridge....the 223 on SA is just carrying an oversize gun with dead weight for nothing.

Is why I found the propriety 223 mini actions very interesting
Berger shows their 90gr will shoot out of a 1:10 so I doubt you will have trouble with any bullets under that.
What bullet in particular are you planning to use? a 243 isn't gonna hurt pelts to bad

What is your question?
Can you shoot coyotes with a 243? -Yes

FWIW 243 is perfect for deer.
My grandson, has killed 2 Big bodied, Desert Muley's with, his Tikka T-3, 1-10 Twist, .243 Win.
The last One was, a Heavy horned, 30+ inch, 4 X 5 !
He's shooting, the 87 gr. BERGER, H-VLD at, 3,150 FPS ( N-160 Powder ) and practices with, the Cheaper, 87 gr., V-Maxes.
His Dad, has tried to get my grandsons shots under, 300 yards each Time and both Buck's were DRT with, One shot ( insides Jello ) One Buck @ 227 yds, the other, 268 yds Needless to say, we're proud of, him ! He did 5 Trip's of Practice, 20 to 25 Shots, each time, on 10" Steel plates out on, the rolling hills of the Desert when, he was 12 years old then got, the first One, a Fat 3x4 that, Fall.
The little, .243 Win is deadly, in the Right Hands at, "Reasonable", Ranges.

Last edited:
Thousands of deer have been killed with 1/10 .243's... probably 95% of .243's in existence are 1/10...so yes, you can easily shoot up to a 100gr non VLD/non lead free bullet out of a 1/10.

For a one bullet coyote/deer option I would look at the 85gr GameKing.

Just coyote the 58gr V-Max.

Just deer the 90gr AccuBond (when you can find them) or the Scirocco II.

IF, I wanted to Skin, a Coyote,.. I'd use, a .22-250 Rem or, a .22 Creedmoor with, 50 or 53 grain V-Maxes at,.. Warp Speed, to Blow up,.. internally and HOPEFULLY, with,. NO,.. Exit Hole !
I use My 6 XC with, 95 grain Classic Hunter Bergers at, 3,200+ FPS But,.. NO, skinning,.. IS, involved !
The 58, 65 or 75 gr. V-Maxes, in a .243 Win,.. MIGHT "Work" if, accurate, in YOUR Rifle

Last edited:
The 243 has been around a long time it will do what you want of it. There are some good loads for it available study on them some and try a few to see what does what you want, not only weight of bullets but the design of them makes a difference.

I shoot 95gr Nosler BTs out of my 243 WSSM. It'll handle what ever you throw at it, under 100gr. It'll even do something like a 100gr Partition. I've killed stuff as small as javelina with it and didn't make a mess. I also killed an antelope with it at about 150 yards and it was clean, no exit, if I remember correctly. I didn't want to run anything too fast in this rifle so I stuck with a heavier bullet. I've never chrono'd that load.