If you could shoot only one bullet for 45-70.

captainjoe

I tend to try to find one bullet that works and shoot it a lot, and I am on the hunt for one for my Marlin 45-70 XLR. It is scary accurate with Hornady's 325 gr. flex tips with no mods to the factory configuration. I am comfortable shooting out to 200 yards, which covers 98% of the scenarios of where I hunt. Now I want to see if I can find an all rounder bullet beyond the FTX.

Besides punching paper, I hunt deer and elk. I was thinking something around the 350 gr., around 1500-1600 fps. The age old issue of compromise - managing recoil, keeping it reasonably flat and getting the most benefit for the kill. I am happy to buy factory bullets, but am considering casting my own. As much as possible, I am trying to manage costs so that I can shoot as much as possible.

I have considered Hornady 350 gr. round points, but then wondered if this is the time I should really force myself to cast and build my shooting capabilities around a bullet that I can make. Ideally if I go the cast route, it would be nice to buy some to try first to see how my rifle likes them. And of course, if for some reason I can't do any casting, I can revert to buying them.

So for my shooting situation and hand loading, if you could only shoot one bullet what would it be? Any thoughts or suggestions?

I tend to try to find one bullet that works and shoot it a lot, and I am on the hunt for one for my Marlin 45-70 XLR. It is scary accurate with Hornady's 325 gr. flex tips with no mods to the factory configuration. I am comfortable shooting out to 200 yards, which covers 98% of the scenarios of where I hunt. Now I want to see if I can find an all rounder bullet beyond the FTX.

Besides punching paper, I hunt deer and elk. I was thinking something around the 350 gr., around 1500-1600 fps. The age old issue of compromise - managing recoil, keeping it reasonably flat and getting the most benefit for the kill. I am happy to buy factory bullets, but am considering casting my own. As much as possible, I am trying to manage costs so that I can shoot as much as possible.

I have considered Hornady 350 gr. round points, but then wondered if this is the time I should really force myself to cast and build my shooting capabilities around a bullet that I can make. Ideally if I go the cast route, it would be nice to buy some to try first to see how my rifle likes them. And of course, if for some reason I can't do any casting, I can revert to buying them.

So for my shooting situation and hand loading, if you could only shoot one bullet what would it be? Any thoughts or suggestions?

If cast bullets may be on your menu, here's mine…..but it's a bit heavier and faster than you listed. They're 430 grain, wheel weight cast, gas checked, powder coated, at 1800 mv.

This was first load in my Marlin GG, just grabbed some data and fan with it. Loaded 10 rounds, fired 5 @ 50 yds to get on paper and check for feeding and pressure. Went back to 100 yds., fired one and made scope adjustment, then the following 4 shown. I called it good and didn't try for an improvement.

Sometimes, your just blessed with "dumb luck"! 😉 memtb
1726407336058.png

1726407407976.png

Just to add to the confusion, here are a few of my observations while shooting a Marlin 1895SBL.

I've had very good luck with the Barnes 300 TSX (mono) at 2,000fps. No whitetail can stop one but a heavy boned big black bear can. LOL

The Speer 400gr JSP is a good all around bullet and my favorite for black bears. It readily expands at 45-70 velocities (1,700fps) but does not come apart.

The flattest shooting bullet was the Hornady 250 Monoflex @ 2,330fps. It's accurate and whitetails hate them. LOL

The most accurate bullet in my rifle was the 350 Swift A-Frame bullet. I've shot numerous groups that came in at .5" or just a tad over at the 100yd line. The bullet is indestructible and would be a good choice for heavy game.

Berrys 350gr Plated bullets can be purchased in boxes of 500 IIRC and they shoot very well even at low muzzle velocities. They are inexpensive and great for plinking. I'd much prefer these over casting my own bullets.

The Hornady 350 FN or RN are great all-around bullets, not being particularly light or heavy. They perform predictably on deer and pigs.

FWIW - some rifles prefer jacketed bullets over cast bullets, mine is one of them. I tried several hard cast bullets with mixed results and just concentrated on jacketed bullets and mono metal bullets. I've shot a considerable amount of game animals with my 45-70 and I just can't say that I could be satisfied with loading just one bullet for all occasions.

Last edited:

Because elk are mentioned and are infrequent kills at best, I'd get a box each of 250gn and 300gn Barnes TSX Cave Points and see which shot best in your rifle.

Fast, flat (.45/70), hard hitting and usually very good accuracy. Have tried them in both the .45/70 and .458. I wouldn't look anywhere else until exploring those 2.

The Speer has a very thin jacket so needs to be closer to mid velocity ranges. When pushed towards the common 2000fps goal, it falters. I have oushed these too hard in .45/70, .458 and .460 Weatherby which made them dissappear in a blue mist before reaching the 100 yard targets. Lots of lessons there. On game, they open fast and demonstrate a visual energy dump but again, at the cost of penetration, remembering elk as the top end goal.

Last edited:
Another vote for the Hornady 350 RN. From squirrels to moose and bear, it is about the perfect bullet for use in the Marlin or Winchester levers. It will go length wise through the largest bear or moose, and it will also bust through shoulder blades and heavy bones, so I see no need for more penetration. It will shoot well under an inch from every 45-70 I have tried it in.

For punching paper, a cast bullet is a MUCH cheaper option for practising. I just buy my cast bullets from Bullet Barn. They are so cheap, yet well made, that I can't be bothered casting my own. The 400 grain,pre-lubed, ones will shoot a bit over an inch. Your speed of 1500-1600 fps is my preferred velocity for the 45-70.

Last edited:
I load several jacketed bullets for people depending on their preferred or intended use. I use several different cast myself.
300 Hornady HP is a deer grenade and amazing to spectacular on smaller stuff like marmots. Not an elk bullet, with strong exceptions.
350 Hornady RN is pretty spectacular on big game. Expands to about 0.8" and penetrates pretty well to boot. It is hard enough for elk and the like, but not those that bite, poke or stomp.
400 Speer FN is softer and expands wider than the 350 RN above. Same comments apply, unless used backwards as per Nathan Foster of ballisticstudies.com. There are other bullets that do the same as the backward 400, but they feed better; some are cast.

I use three cast bullets for myself, mainly.
350 Ranch Dog gas check with lube grooves as opposed to tumble lube from NOE. Feeds well, shoots well. I load at three levels: subsonic (for use with a can, usually on grouse on the trail, yard deer, etc.), trapdoor for daily use, and full speed for having others shoot it.
400M from LBT. Pointier, smaller meplat, probably better at mid-range (2-500 yes), but I haven't shot my Marlin at those distances.
460 WLN from LBT. This loaded at a bit more than trapdoor power penetrates better than anything I have seen, other than 50BMG armor piercing. Will penetrate feet of wood, or over 14 1-gallon jugs. Center jug hits means center jug exits. The first seven blow up like hit with a 22-250. Spectacular I say. These require shortened brass like Hornady does with the FTX bullets; kind of a PITA, but worth it if you need max killing performance.

Don't forget you can go crazy and paper patch 45 caliber revolver bullets. I have dabbled, but it's too much time to fiddle like this. But if you find the "right" bullet in .451", patch it and go for it. Just remember that most jacketed revolver bullets aren't rated for the speeds you can get with a 45/70 rifle. Maybe the exception is 454 bullets.

I know that this may start some arguments but I have gone to cast bullets for all of my .45-70 stuff and haven't looked back. I love the cartridge and have killed a number of critters with it including a bit of African game. The first time I took my Sharps to Africa I figured I needed a jacketed expanding bullet so I loaded up some Hornady 350 grain Interlock's that were coming out of the Sharps at around 1900 fps. That bullet failed me on just about everything I shot with it. In retrospect, I may have jacked the velocity up beyond it's operational parameters but you live and learn. The next trip I went with cast bullets and managed to kill everything pretty much on the spot. I have shot a lot of critters with cast bullets since, including a very large bison, and they have been extremely effective. Just my 2 cents.

I know that this may start some arguments but I have gone to cast bullets for all of my .45-70 stuff and haven't looked back. I love the cartridge and have killed a number of critters with it including a bit of African game. The first time I took my Sharps to Africa I figured I needed a jacketed expanding bullet so I loaded up some Hornady 350 grain Interlock's that were coming out of the Sharps at around 1900 fps. That bullet failed me on just about everything I shot with it. In retrospect, I may have jacked the velocity up beyond it's operational parameters but you live and learn. The next trip I went with cast bullets and managed to kill everything pretty much on the spot. I have shot a lot of critters with cast bullets since, including a very large bison, and they have been extremely effective. Just my 2 cents.

Interesting - could you tell us how the bullets failed and what the outcomes were?

That's all I have shot on mine. I got some new brass but have not done any reloading yet.
One note on cast bullets. I would favor a flat tipped bullet for terminal performance over a round nose. I haven't reloaded for mine yet, but been using the 300 gr and 405 grain Buffalo Bore Magnum ammo. I only use this rifle for hunting. Packs quite a punch!
They have some bad arse loads.

Last edited:

Recent Posts