Ideas for reducing recoil without brake

You can install brakes in some pretty thin barrels. You basically make a jam nut for it to seat against.

Aside from that, light for caliber bullets and more weight will reduce recoil.

When I severely damaged my right shoulder which resulted in Rotator Cuff repair and removal of my A/C Joint completely, where the clavicle and scapula join, the ONLY rifles I was confident using were my 22-250AI (13.5lbs) and my 9.75lb 25-06. In fact, the 25-06 felt better with no harsh sharp recoil and the 22-250AI did. Tried my 270 Weatherby at the 9 months after surgery…nope, very painful. Took 2 years to shoot any magnum again due to the speed of the recoil jolt on my floating clavicale.
I also used 87gSP bullets in the 25-06 for everything except foxes and rabbits, which I used 75gHP for those.
The 243 should have less recoil than a 25-06, so that would be a perfect option.

Cheers.

When I severely damaged my right shoulder which resulted in Rotator Cuff repair and removal of my A/C Joint completely, where the clavicle and scapula join, the ONLY rifles I was confident using were my 22-250AI (13.5lbs) and my 9.75lb 25-06. In fact, the 25-06 felt better with no harsh sharp recoil and the 22-250AI did. Tried my 270 Weatherby at the 9 months after surgery…nope, very painful. Took 2 years to shoot any magnum again due to the speed of the recoil jolt on my floating clavicale.
I also used 87gSP bullets in the 25-06 for everything except foxes and rabbits, which I used 75gHP for those.
The 243 should have less recoil than a 25-06, so that would be a perfect option.

Cheers.
You giving the Turdchester a rec?😆

Using your 243 is light on recoil, I've used lead in the stock and it helps. Just go to Walmart and buy small fishing weights and tape together and slide in stock, I have mercury in one of my shotguns to help when shooting clays. Sounds like the biggest concern is your dad's eye. Maybe using an adapter to mount a phone to the scope would keep his eye protected.