Idaho Investigating Technology Limitations for Rifles

Way too many of them and most don't care if it is a legal rode for motorized or not.
Huge problem in ID. Panhandle. And nobody enforces the law.
Think of the added revenue Fish and Game and forest service could be Taking advantage of

Way too many of them and most don't care if it is a legal rode for motorized or not.
Huge problem in ID. Panhandle. And nobody enforces the law.
Think of the added revenue Fish and Game and forest service could be Taking advantage of
We have limits now to off road rules etc. The roads, used by SxS's, doesn't seem to be that big of an issue. Heck I have dirtbikes, atv's, a SXS and use them all. I also hike a ton. I don't want to give it up. I also find many of those folks don't ever get off their machines, so is it really adding that much of an issue? Not sure.

You don't think wolves and grizzlies are part of the problem with the reduction in game?
Sure, but that is not part of the conversation. We have issues with predation and hunting. Predators (human and non-human) have increased, and success rates have too. The tech convo is not a surprise. It has come up in the past and rules set. This is for all methods of take though. Muzzleloaders have been impacted by far the most, then archery, and last rifle. I hope to get on the committee to see what is really going on.

We have limits now to off road rules etc. The roads, used by SxS's, doesn't seem to be that big of an issue. Heck I have dirtbikes, atv's, a SXS and use them all. I also hike a ton. I don't want to give it up. I also find many of those folks don't ever get off their machines, so is it really adding that much of an issue? Not sure.

Its a huge issue in SW MT. The roads and trails are everywhere. I used to study google earth to find places to hike in to get away from roads or trails and its challenging to find a place that your not just hiking towards another trail. In the area I lived a lot of people complain about all the elk on private. Almost every ranch has public land above it with a road or trail and hunters perched up there waiting. The elk jump the fence get shot at and run back down on the ranch. Theres not a day some guy is not sitting above the Matador or R&D just waiting. Many 1000s of elk are not huntable for that reason. At least in SW MT elk numbers are not the problem. Huntable elk is the problem.

Sure, but that is not part of the conversation.
Dependent on the goal all of it should be part of the conversation.

Everybody has a personal peeve. This feeds into the powers that be playing UTV's, berry pickers, shed hunters, ranchers, horsemen, LRH, houndmen...........against each other.

I believe if one looks at it closely they want us all in the cities and not recreating.

I use a side by side, almost went with a tracked chair.

Used to be department representatives would direct depredation type hunts keeping it a controlled situation for all.

Its a huge issue in SW MT. The roads and trails are everywhere. I used to study google earth to find places to hike in to get away from roads or trails and its challenging to find a place that your not just hiking towards another trail. In the area I lived a lot of people complain about all the elk on private. Almost every ranch has public land above it with a road or trail and hunters perched up there waiting. The elk jump the fence get shot at and run back down on the ranch. Theres not a day some guy is not sitting above the Matador or R&D just waiting. Many 1000s of elk are not huntable for that reason. At least in SW MT elk numbers are not the problem. Huntable elk is the problem.
We have an absolute pile of gates on fs land. Most close sept 15 and open may 15. It's pretty impressive how many gates are here.

Dependent on the goal all of it should be part of the conversation.

Everybody has a personal peeve. This feeds into the powers that be playing UTV's, berry pickers, shed hunters, ranchers, horsemen, LRH, houndmen...........against each other.

I believe if one looks at it closely they want us all in the cities and not recreating.

I use a side by side, almost went with a tracked chair.

Used to be department representatives would direct depredation type hunts keeping it a controlled situation for all.
The issue on the table seems straight forward. Since Idaho was ground zero for this bs I am well aware of the issues created. It's not been a good situation for the Idaho hunters and moreover tje game population. Since it was a federal issue, now state and fed, we are basically stuck in a game. One we don't have access to the agenda. However, regardless of the wolf issue for example, Idaho hit the radar for transplants. No matter what anyone thinks in the end changes have to be made to control hunter population and harvest targets. Idaho has compromised as much as possible without going full draw only. In the end it's exactly where we will wind up. OTC tags will be a thing of the past. Just like otc elk tag for anywhere and any season is long gone. Our draw tag gig is coming full force soon.

A lot of truth in your post @BrentM.

Which was my earlier point that Idaho, is not exempt from folks that never lived in the state to dictate rules.

If there isn't a herd to provide a harvest, we all lose.
Agreed. I welcome the discussion as long as it logical. Now having a beer, you'd hear how I really feel about it all. Ha

Where I hunt in MT, everything is gated.