I need help/info getting through customs, TSA, Homeland Security, etc. getting out and then back into the U.S. with my rifles.

and make sure your 4457 has a date of later this year I think it is 9-2022, S Africa will have a fit if they think the form is expired even though there is no expiration. also if you have an item on your 4457 and decide not to take it just line it out with a sharpie according to my local customs agent no issues. good post Mike

If you are in rout to another country, they don't check it, they just put it on board the next plane. That was the way last time. It's moved or transferred to the next airline for your final dentation. Or that's the way it happen for me. The biggest thing is having that permit or pass from the guide services with you to allow you to have that firearm or arms to hunt with. I didn't have it. They held the firearm until I came up with it the guide services person did the signing and the way I went. They held safety while I was gone. The Hotels also hold your firearms too during your stay with them. When coming back and going through New York. You are changing from international to domestic flight. You have to retrieve your firearm and have it check. open up for the PD. The international flights are in one location and the domestic is in another area. So you have to get the items from one place to another. If you don't know where that's at, good luck. Being on the West Coast I would take a flight to Germany then onto Africa.

X2 Mike Mathensen
I watched baggage handlers throw 2 firearm cases on the asphalt.
These were shotguns and 1was damaged.
A scoped rifle would probably be ruined.
Get the best ape proof case you can buy.
You can rest better traveling with your firearms.

Curious, do we have to lock up ammo separately on domestic flights now?

Just this past fall, traveled by air, both Interstate (Wyoming) and Canada(Toronto and Edmonton). Ammo could be NOT in the gun case. The ammo, in a separate bag(ie duffel) did not have to be in a lockable ammo case. TSA, and the Airlines recommended TSA locks. If you had non-TSA locks, upon check-in you had to stay near the check-in desk for 15 minutes in case TSA wanted to open/check either your gun case or bag containing the ammo, This was also the case in the prior years of traveling in the states and Canada. Limit 50 rounds of ammo packaged in the original box, or, an ammo box designed for ammo(ie MTM plastic).
I use TSA locks in both my gun case and duffel. No problems…

The other problem with that is. Anybody can get a key for TSA locks. They come with the locks to start with. So nobody case are safe. At lease they would have to either pick the lock or have bolt cutters to open up the locks, being they are your locks. That's was one of the reason they went away for that Idea. Being it your key for that lock, you can prove it your case by unlocking the locks. That was the way in Africa it was done to prove you are the owner of the gun cases. That why you have to have a set of keys on you. If you put them in your bags, and it gets lost. Then you are up a creek, without a mask.

Recent Posts