Getting Meat Home

The outfitters up in Chama New Mexico where me and my buddy hunted quartered our Elk, then hung it for a couple of days to cool then froze it solid.
We put the quarters in 4 158 qt. ice chests and drove home toward San Antonio Texas. About 11 hrs. later we dropped off the Elk at Woodberry's processors in Ingram, TX on the way home (about 1 hour north of SA) and it was still frozen solid.

For those who fly to your hunting locations,
I have my meat processed, frozen, placed in a suitable sized (full) cooler and shipped Fedex ground.
Arrives usually about 3 days later still frozen solid.
Not as expensive as you might think.
VC

I have my meat processed, frozen, placed in a suitable sized (full) cooler and shipped Fedex ground.
VC

My son and I killed 2 elk, and 2 mule deer in Idaho about 6 years ago, hung for 2 days took them to a very good processor, donated I dear to feed needy and paid the processing figured we had enough meat with 2 elk 1 deer. Meat processed and picked up sealed frozen by UPS talked with the person and prepaid for it to be shipped to ocala Florida were we live. Gave all the information to the store. The processor called the day they picked it up to let me know. Two days later 2 arrived the other 3 didn't. I thought that's odd. I called and they said they went to Miami and have been sitting there for 2 days, I asked how did they go there and the others came here, their response was call the store that shipped them it's not their problem. Needless to say it arrived 3 days later. The meat was bad I would have hated to been that driver. Of corse it was all the best cuts of elk. UPS blamed store and said they only deliver even though it was a UPS store. The labels said ocala by instead of north west said south west. But Miami is 300 miles away and if 2 made it how come the others didn't even make it to the right city. Got back $400 dollars lost $2200 and the meat. Needless to say I would really have my reservations about doing it again. Seemed they were more interested in the card number and payment then address.

I have had meat frozen and in ice chests and checked them as a extra bag when flying. Every airline is different but the cost is less than shipping and when you arrive home your meat is with you (normally!).

I have bad experiences with both spoilage and cost when shipping elk meat from Idaho to Houston and Utah to Houston. For the past few years for my hunts I have decided to take a few extra days off and just drive versus fly to hunting locations so I can get the meat home in good shape.

I live in California and hunt the Great States of Wyoming & So. Dakota. I've done it since 1993. Usually I'll harvest 3-5 Antelope & 2 Mulies. I take along 2, 120qt coolers.
Grandview Meat Lockers in Belle Fourche,SD. process's my animals, cut, wrap & freeze.
After I've packed the coolers with the meat, I put a 3" thick layer of dry ice over the top of the meat, close the cooler & duct tape it around the seal. This method keeps the meat frozen solid for 48 hours. Plenty of time to drive back to Cali. I've never lost any meat. I don't trust ANY company to ship game my meat for this very reason. Too many variables. It kills me to hear stories like this.
So sorry that happened to you. What a bummer.

I live in California and hunt the Great States of Wyoming & So. Dakota. I've done it since 1993. Usually I'll harvest 3-5 Antelope & 2 Mulies. I take along 2, 120qt coolers.
Grandview Meat Lockers in Belle Fourche,SD. process's my animals, cut, wrap & freeze.
After I've packed the coolers with the meat, I put a 3" thick layer of dry ice over the top of the meat, close the cooler & duct tape it around the seal. This method keeps the meat frozen solid for 48 hours. Plenty of time to drive back to Cali. I've never lost any meat. I don't trust ANY company to ship game my meat for this very reason. Too many variables. It kills me to hear stories like this.
So sorry that happened to you. What a bummer.

I am with you 100% on this. We go to Wyoming every year and bring plenty of cooler / freezer space and almost always use a local game processor to package and freeze. We generally pick it up on our way out of town. The only time we do otherwise is if we get an animal in the last day or two and there is not enough time to process. In that case we share with our hosts, have a bbq, debone what's left and put it on top of the frozen stuff.

If you have the means, trailer, or lots of truck bed space ect. A small chest freezer (5.0 cu ft. under $200), a small generator (only need to run occasionally)....bone-out meat, wrapped in plastic wrap (multiple 20 pound or so parcels), once home thaw and process parcels as time allows. That's one option!

That freezer is pretty handy for bringing food from home, to your hunting location! We have one in our camper....real handy for longer vacations or our 3 week + fall/winter boondocking hunting trips! Lots of home cooked meals, ready to eat. Less kitchen time! memtb
We kept about 200# of ice like this for a week in NM August bear season. Only ran the generator for about an hour a day.

VC
Do you happen to know if this would be true for South Africa? I'm headed there 4-2020. Even though I love to hunt for trophies the meat is extremely important to me too. That's all I eat is wild game.

VC
How much was it? I looked at shipping elk from Colorado to Florida and it was nearly $2,000 plane/train/automobile /fed ex/ups/greyhound. They were all basically the same...