Huskemaw?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our club got a tour of the plant complete with explaining and showing the production if a their rifles. They don't advertise a great deal of what really goes into the production of their rifles.... It is impressive!
Many manufacturers prefer to be conservative with their claims. As you well know, the rifle is only part of achieving sub MOA accuracy.

Thats really cool, I dont own a savage but i really like the things they do and I plan to won one or more in the future.... I wont be putting a huskemaw on it though!

I have a huske on my 7rm and a vx3 with cds on a 243 and a nikon x on a .270 all have there good and bad. All can do a one shot kill at 500y, glass is real good on all 3 with no distortion at the side of the glass all 3 track extremely well . I have had a chance to talk with the customer service from huskemaw and leupold and from those 2 calls my next scope will be one more huskemaw . leupold was not nice to talk to and wanted to get me off the phone and not try to help there custom cds is not as good as huskemaw . The guys at huskemaw have called me to make sure my scope was working properly and gave me some great advice . If I was in the market for a none turret scope might go with nikon . Tikkamike I have read your points and they make great advice for someone in the market for a scope and I cheeked my scope out from the things you say are bad and mine would pass your inspection maybe you got a bad one you say it was used when you got it may be something is wrong I don't know but mine is better than my leupold in the custom turret part of the scope . clarity is the same out of both

Terry,

as far as clarity and everything seemed fine on my huskemaw, I didn't get to look through it on a hazy day or in low light but seemed fine. The scope wasn't used when I got it it was brand new i just wasn't the original buyer. Is your cds scope a 1 " or a 30mm? Either way the problem i had with my huskemaw right out the gate was tube length. That's why I didn't even use it, I wanted to do a side by side comparison for my own benefit of the zeiss, the leupold, huskemaw and NF as far as functionality and ease of use. I culled Huskemaw right away when I realized the scope tube is way to short for use on a long action to fit to me with proper eye relief. I saw no reason to even try to use it when that alone is enough to keep me from wanting one, all my other problems with the scopes aside, that one was a deal breaker hands down. I have used them on other peoples rifles and they work. no doubt. just not for me too much compromise and I dont find it one better than my Leupold I paid several hundred less for.

Mike
my leupold is a 1" tube . and I thought the same thing when I mounted my huskemaw . eye relief is fine for me but 2 of my buddys have a hard time with it . I was hesitant to buy a huskemaw because of your first post and I still beleave that the price is way up because of the TV show . But I bought one put it on a 7rm and love it . the rear ring is all the way to the rear of the scope if I was to move it back some it would work for my buddy's but I shoot it and the farther away from my eye the better (less supper glue in the pack). I have sent the leupold custom turret back it was off all over only thing that was on 200y 0 the rest was crap.

Terry, the process that Huskamaw uses to set up the turrets is what makes them stand head and sholders above all the other scopes. Huskamaw isn't about better glass or clarity though it is right up there. It is all about a turret that is set exactly for your load, your velocity , your conditions. It can't be done with only chronographed velocity and BC. Most will get you in the ball park ,but Huskamaw, when supplied with your real click data will put you right on home plate!

It's too bad. A lot of people out there might actually think you know what you are talking about and miss an opportunity.

Savage is in my back yard out here. Been there, know them, and more importantly Savage has sponsored many of our club's shoots. We have seen this kind of performance numerous times and so has Savage. THe LRH uses the same barrel tooling process as the Benchrest series.

I don't think that is accurate. And even if they do, they aren't even close to the quality of a custom barrel.

I like Savages, but I have never had a stock one shoot better than the 4s. I own a few. It is very, very unlikely. THat is still a helluva rifle though for hunting purposes.

I will maintain that .25 MOA in a stock rifle is rare beyond rare. Sure it is possible, but combined with you claims on the Husky compared to NF, I take it as hyperbole.

I would love to see pics, but even those can be faked. Just to give you an idea, the M40A3 isn't even made to meet .25 MOA at 100 yards.

Terry, the process that Huskamaw uses to set up the turrets is what makes them stand head and sholders above all the other scopes. Huskamaw isn't about better glass or clarity though it is right up there. It is all about a turret that is set exactly for your load, your velocity , your conditions. It can't be done with only chronographed velocity and BC. Most will get you in the ball park ,but Huskamaw, when supplied with your real click data will put you right on home plate!

And there are many other companies that do as good a job at the custom turrets, and better than Husky does. What they do is by no means special. It is a good turnkey system though. I like the GBP better, but I definitely like the Husky too. It just isn't what BOTW says it is though.

Last edited:
And there are many other companies that do as good a job at the custom turrets, and better than Husky does. What they do is by no means special. It is a good turnkey system though. I like the GBP better, but I definitely like the Husky too. It just isn't what BOTW says it is though.

couldnt agree more. They make it sound like they do it differently than everyone else, but there are several smiths out there that engrave turrets for leupolds or whoever else using real proven click values and drops. so they are by no means special.

I'm getting ready to order a Custom 4.5-14 x 50mm GreyBull Precision in silver was told about 4 to 6 months . This scope will be put on a Browning X-Bolt White Gold in 338 win mag . I know its a leupold but GB will be the person to call not leupold . so I'm not going to say at this time one is better than the other but I will have them side buy side and see what one works better for me . but on the 7rm the extra magnification is what sold me and now I have no regrets about buying the huskemaw . If leupold can not come closer with the turrit I will sell it and try out a eliminator.

I'm getting ready to order a Custom 4.5-14 x 50mm GreyBull Precision in silver was told about 4 to 6 months . This scope will be put on a Browning X-Bolt White Gold in 338 win mag . I know its a leupold but GB will be the person to call not leupold . so I'm not going to say at this time one is better than the other but I will have them side buy side and see what one works better for me . but on the 7rm the extra magnification is what sold me and now I have no regrets about buying the huskemaw . If leupold can not come closer with the turrit I will sell it and try out a eliminator.

GreyBull makes the 'turrit' or turret, depending if you want to spell it right. And in my experience, they are better made if you give them the information. I use them exclusively on all my custom guns but my 338LM which has a custom shop Mk 4 6.5-20x50, and the Leupy Turrets on that are solid too. But unless I am shooting chucks at more than 1000 yards, 14x is plenty for me.

The key with turrets is getting the engraver the best data possible. Get the right FPS, get the accurate temp and elevation, get a grouping at 200 rather than 100, and even shoot a group at 700+ yards as well and record the drop. The more accurate info the better the turret.

I will agree with you guys on the fact that there are a lot of people out there that understand how to set up turrets correctly. Greybull, gunwerks, and many others can do a great job. I'm referring to guys that go to their local sporting good store and hope to buy or order a scope for 200 bucks that is going to make shot adjustments out to 800 yards spot on. Ain't gonna happen!! The best scope is the one you have on your rifle and have used enough to be confident that you can hit what you are shooting at.

an additional note, just got back in the house from a little groundhog hunt on the hill. Plugged one in the head at 1181 yards on the first shot with my new Hart 6.5-284. Mike, you really should look at some different rings or a rail or something to get that Huskamaw to fit ! Huskamaw really works well for me!

Last edited:
Tikamike
First thing I noticed was it was really heavy. No big deal so is a NF

The Huskemaw scope weighs much less than a Nightforce. Somewhere between 6 and 8 ounces less than a Nightforce.

the nightforce is a stronger scope but the Huskamaw is quite a bit heavier than some of the others. It was made that way because of rough use in scabboards on horses that bent the tubes on some of the earlier scopes used on BOTW. It would be very disheartening to pull the scope out for a shot at a once in a lifetime sheep only to find the tube bent from a horse hitting up against a tree. It has happened to Morning Creek Outfitters! I think extra weight is a plus .

Status
Not open for further replies.