Huskemaw?

Status
Not open for further replies.
(ex-spert) A drip of water that was once under preasure! I'm glad we have so many experts to voice their opinions!

The next time I get a hit to come look at one of my favorite forums; I DON'T want to find two men that have more in common than they can imagine measuring their ego's against one another and wasting time I could be learning from either and old hand that has made all the mistakes I don't want to OR a new guy with enough energy to research the real specs , operating systems (parallax adj, focus tech while wearing glasses, ranging with different parts of the reticle,) etc. and teach me something useful. IF you want to argue, go find a tree huggin' gun control idiot that thinks nothing is worth fighting for and lets men stronger and tougher than himself protect him and his family...probably like either or both of you. Now put that anger to energy and teach this ole Texan somethin' good that only you know.

Feel better now?

Reply to Lapua Guy

Yes, 20x was one factor. I'll use the rig to compete in Hunter class egg shoots during the summer.....great work out and a good test for the scope. 20x is needed for the longer ranges shooting eggs. Otherwise, the Greybull looked quite comparable. I really like Leupold scopes but would still put a target turret VX series through a rigorous test on my rig. I have had some tracking issues in the past with a couple of my VX target turret scopes. Never had an issue with my Mark 4's.

Makes sense. Thanks for the reply.

Re: Huskemaw v's Leopold vx3

Ok bit the bullet should have a huskemaw in about a week . I have Leopold and Nikon's ( I get the feeling no one likes nikon ) so if the glass is as clear as those thats good . I'm not going to say anything till I send in my info and get the turret for it but if it works and I can get the right info for the turret then it is a hit. got the new shooting chrony and a 600 yard rang . if I can get is set up with this I'm happy.. but I'm also ordering the greybull precision scope becuse I can get it in silver . it will take 3 months for the greybull precision scope so then I will be albil to comepair the two
OK time for the update !! today I got the new CDS Leopold VX3 4.5-14x50 . Put it on the .243 today. The Huskemaw is on the 7mm r/m .( I'm in no way a scope critic or a pro!! Just a guy with a opinion . SO PLEASE DON'T TRY TO KNOCK ME OUT OR SHOOT ME !!!!) OK here is what I see side buy side . they both have great glass both are very clear . I put them side by side went Thur the power setting on them looking at the same thing . just finished now at dusk .. I have read people say the Huskemaw dose not hold up to the Leopold . So they must not have them side by side because I see not one thing better with one or the other . and both of them out do my 4-16x50 monarch X at dusk . Now time to get info together and get the turret's for them. I AM VERY HAPPY WITH THEM BOTH!!! If you think I missed something to look at tell me and I will give it a honest try with no B-S

Why hasmy thread name been changed? Getting too much negative press for huskemaw?it wasn't offensive or crude. It didn't violate any forum rules. Just hurt some people egos because an overwhelming majority agree with me. Very disappointed...

Tikkamike

Let me start out by saying I enjoy your many posts on LRH.

But if the former title of this thread was so well thought out by you and so important to you that you object to a change, then it is obvious to many of us who have read the developing thread that your main purpose was to be confrontational, inflammatory and divisive. If your intent wasn't to be confrontational, inflammatory and divisive then the title change shouldn't matter to you.

I won't be responding to or debating the title change with you.

The title was to actually named that to draw attention to it because I was very drawn to Huskemaw at one point. I still have some interest. but I wanted as much feed back as possible (which I got) The name change doesnt really matter to me because I am done with that thread I feel we have beaten that horse to a pulp. My only question was why was it changed? It lasted many months as it was and now that its all but dead a name change. I may be wrong but it sure seems from my angle it was changed to benefit huskemaw because its a less attractive looking thread now. BUT like I said I am done with it so I dont really care.

Well said Tikkamike.

Obviously the intent was to kill the thread, and it did. I too had interest in the Huskemaw at one time, but not anymore. I bought a IOR instead because I wanted to go with a scope with a great track record and long history. It is fantastic.

Good luck!

And thanks for the great forum Len! A lot of great information here!

Last edited:
I too think Mike's thread was "art" and the definition of art is to solicit a response...kind of like stirring up the dirt on the bottom of the stream...if you do it right you find gold but if you do it wrong you just see the sands of time (you time) washed down stream and wasted. There were many good contributions to the thread and I thank those who taught me a new guy a few things. It beats the crap out of watching the TV but not walking my bird dog which it is time for ...thanx Mike / Len...sunsets coming. They should all be this provocative !

Finally set up my rig and gave the Huskemaw a good workout. Put it on a Savage LRH in 6,5x284. This rifle shoots .25moa all day long and a good rifle to test with. I own Mark 4's and Nightforce scopes, and mentioned in a previous post that I was up tight, about the Huskemaw, particularly after reading many of the posts. I'll have to say that I was pleasantly surprised with this scope and it will stay on this rifle. Clarity, resolution, and repeatability are on par. The click adjustments for elevation are exact. The side focus /parallax is nuts on with the yardage settings to at least 500 yards as is the rangefinder. It beats the Mark 4 and NF on this and it seems this is a good indication that attention was paid in the manufacturing process. Very slight lash in the elevation knob but it did not effect point of impact. All this testing was done with the supplied 20moa dial. Will see how the custom turrets work out but knowing the elevation settings this should be pretty straight forward to determine. I would definitely buy another.

Sorry, you lost me when you claimed your stock savage shot '.25 moa all day'. Highly unlikely. And it has NF components, so being more clear doesn't make sense. You see I believe it's a good scope, but hyperbole is kinda why people grumble about BOTW.

just to let you guys know a friend of mine and I too bought a huskemaw to try out too. Here's my brief experience. First thing I did was inspect for any flaws,on the outside or in clarity. Everything was good. First thing I noticed was it was really heavy. No big deal so is a NF then I notivlced that after about 8 power or so the power goes up dramatically in a very short distance with no power indication marks. I didn't care for that but no deal breaker. Second thing I went to mount it on my buddies custom 338 rum (700long action) and with Talley rings turned in so thetly are as close as possible the huskemaw tube is barely long enough to fit in there. Which is a real problem. He is kind of short so I couldn't get the scope back far enough for him. And I am tall (6'3") I couldn't get it far enough foreward on my Browning with Talley rings. The only option we have is to get a rail if we want proper eye relief. To me that's a deal breaker. My leupolds, zeisses etc I never have a problem. So. Decded if I'm going to carry the weight I may as well get a nf because at least I don't Have to comprise with them. ...long story short. I sold it before I even got to play around with it because it failed to meet my standards before I even got it mounted.

Response to Lapuaguy...

Wrote that the clarity was "on par".......same as NF. You're right , I should can the hyperbole......My Savage is a .25 MOA rifle.

Status
Not open for further replies.