How To Get Consistent Seating Depth Every Time from an empirical source.

.0008 instrumental error, is 60% larger than your presumed level of accuracy of .0005. So, you are correct, that would indicate +/- 60% or 120% total margin of error.

Like I said, that's meaningless, but not as precise as stated or presumed, as there's no way to accurately measure to that level of precision with a simple handheld too.
So you are saying I could actually be getting .0002" variation in my seating depths?
Thanks for the vote of confidence.

See, I am more of a "glass half full" kind of guy.

IMG_0468.png

Before the full frontal charge launches, that is JJ Cale.
Mentioned in the song

Now that I have your attention 🤣 , "no," this is not necessarily empirical as to how or why reloaders test various seating depths. I also understand a lot of people do not care about Gavin. However, I think he did an excellent job addressing the elephant in the room. Take it for what it is worth. As with everything else, YMMV.

I've taken a lot from his videos.

What kind of calipers do y'all use to measure these rounds that are accurate to .0005"?

Just for reference, .0005" is 1/8th the thickness of a sheet of paper.
I don't know this from personal experience but I've read that calipers sold as Mitutoyo are sometimes fake, even on Amazon. Has anyone run into this? Mitutoyo is pretty expensive so it's worth getting the genuine article.

I don't know this from personal experience but I've read that calipers sold as Mitutoyo are sometimes fake, even on Amazon. Has anyone run into this? Mitutoyo is pretty expensive so it's worth getting the genuine article.
would not surprise me in the slightest..

That is why you pay the money and get Mit, starrett, BS, interapid etc, direct or well known dealer!