HOW LIGHT IS YOUR RIFLE

My new to me Remington 40x in 223Rem w/8.5-25 Leupold tips the scales @12.6 lbs. Thats 3 lbs more than Cooper 21 Varmint in 222Rem. l don't know how the prairie dogs are going to like the extra weight of the 40X, but my sight picture will be better to see the vermin BLOW UP. At 78 l may only be able to enjoy the extra weight a short time. l just refuse to use a brake

12.5lbs, Sharps .45-70, 32" octagon bbl, iron sights, kills critters to 800 yards with paper patched 530 grain slicks powered with black powder. :)
20240410_114731.jpg

I don’t have any rifles heavier than 10 lbs. and nothing lighter than 6.5 lbs.

All of my hunting rifles fit into that relatively narrow weight range.

I don’t like dragging a wagon axle up the hill or shooting something too “wispy”.

My lightest rifle is a 6.5 Grendel build by Wayne York , scope rings and bases the gun weighs 5.6 lbs with a 20inch barrel if I had him cut the barrel to 16 it would probably lost another 4 ozs , It is stocked in one of his PGS Lite stock, great little shooter !!!!! Chris

My ol'6.5prc

7lbs 10oz in the field
Defiance Anti SA
24inch Paradigm Barrel w/PVA Ultralight Jetblast
Paradigm hollow carbon stock
Snowy Mountain bottom metal w/Hawkins Hunter Mag
NF 3.5-15 in Hawkins rings
Outdoorsman branded arca rail
Trigger Tech

20231104_123825.jpg

I have found as I age, it gets harder to make it over the hills packing as much as I used to. I hunt with light rifles, Sub 6lbs I have had some good ones in the past:
Oregunsmithing Colt Light rifle 338-06 Ackley, 22” barrel, custom shop Leupold, just shy of 5.5 lbs with 4 rounds and sling.
Oregunsmithing Ultra light 280 AI on Kimber 84L, leupold Ultra Light scope, Wood stock 5.8 lbs.

Right now I’m waiting for 338 RPM on mark v 6 lug. It should stay short of 6lbs.

I hunted with a 300 Ultra Sendero once, I had it listed and sold before I made it back to the pickup on day one, 9 miles at 7500ft with an 14lb gun nearly killed me!! 😉

Mine all hover around that 10 - 11 lb mark with scope & mag, one exception is an old Kimber Montana in 243 but I can't shoot it straight to save my life 🤣
One factory load and one hand load. My walking rifle has taken a number of antelope and coyotes along with a couple of mule deer.
Approaching my 77th year, too much weight hunting at 8,000 feet and up can be quite difficult!
IMG_0921.jpeg

IMG_0105.jpeg

Last edited:
The two rifles I grab the most are a 308 that weighs 8.25 pounds and a 7PRC that weighs 8.75 pounds. That is scoped and suppressed weight, but no sling or ammo. The above two rifles, plus a third in 375 H&H all wear the same stock, use the same action, and fit me well.