How light is your trigger

DXHI

Just swapped the trigger on my mil spec 300 win mag and wondering if I maybe went a little light with the pull weight

I run 2 pounds in my hunting rigs. Not a expert by any means. This is just how my dad started me out 25 years ago. Was shooting yesterday, a guy had a stock 700 rem. He asked me to shoot it a few times. I thought the safety was broke on it. Could not get it to go off. He grabs the gun and it shot. I put a trigger pull gauge on it the trigger was at 5 pounds!!! He asked me what's wrong with that! And he wonders why he could only shoot a 2" group.

Everyone is different. Hunting triggers are usually adjustable from 3-6lb. Some lower.

I like 1 1/2. I use Weatherby so the safety on the bolt is not effected by light trigger settings. I never trust a safety anyway.

For non hunting I go down as far as a few grams on my Conjar triggers.

There is no right or wrong, it's what you want.

2ish# for big game rifles 3ish# for shotguns and lighter for target and varmint rifles.
Actual weight is far less important to me than a clean break with enough over travel.

Everyone is different. Hunting triggers are usually adjustable from 3-6lb. Some lower.

I like 1 1/2. I use Weatherby so the safety on the bolt is not effected by light trigger settings. I never trust a safety anyway.

For non hunting I go down as far as a few grams on my Conjar triggers.

There is no right or wrong, it's what you want.

I agree with 1 1/2 lbs of trigger pull on my Jewell triggers

Try to stay right at 2 lbs on everything, that way I'm not fighting with one to get it to go off. Coarse I'm mostly just a hunter.

I like 2.0 lbs for big game and long range hunting rifles (got have a little resistance for buck fever and cold fingers!), and I go 1.25-1.5 for my competition guns. Prairie dog guns I like around 1.0.

Mine is 1 lb. love the Jewell but I'm not used to 1lb being a lb lol.
My dad's old varmint gun had some trigger work done and it is LIGHT. Not much difference here either.

Once the bedding compound cures I'll post (attempt to) pics of how it shoots

All of my hunting rigs have triggers that are adjusted or tuned to less than 15oz, a couple are 7oz and 9 oz. Thats just how I roll.
My BR rigs are closser to 4 oz.

THE most important thing is that the trigger break at a CONSISTENT pull force.

All of my hunting rigs have triggers that are adjusted or tuned to less than 15oz, a couple are 7oz and 9 oz. Thats just how I roll.
My BR rigs are closser to 4 oz.

THE most important thing is that the trigger break at a CONSISTENT pull force.

This is where I'm at for my LR rigs. As stated above and before, a consistent break is incredibly important, and more so than weight.

Keep in mind this if for Long Range rigs that weigh 14-16lbs each. Now, for my "stalking weight" rigs, 8-11lbs, that I'm walking thru brush, trees etc. 1.5-2lbs trigger weight is where I go.

Each to his own.

t

I prefer to go heavier on trigger weight as the pressure increase for let off signals crosshair concentration to my brain...2.5-3.5# for my hunting and competition rifles. I very much prefer the Huber and Timney 2 stage triggers but they are limited to the 700 style actions.

2 lbs. The engagement surfaces are more critical than weight to an extent I've shot some pretty heavy triggers that felt lighter and better than lower weight triggers. I like my triggers to feel like they are on roller bearings. I spend a lot of time stoning my sears and what not to perfect edges. A little moly grease and then I'm in business

My benchrest rifle 2 oz. Jewel ,Tacticals 12 oz.-32 oz. FTR 12-14 oz. Hunting 2-3lbs. Other then benchrest the rest are Savage's.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.