How light is your trigger

Since I have been grown up with ultralight set - triggers in the 1970 -1980 I'm using today triggers, which are usually set to 800 gram = 1,8 lbs. That gives me the opportunity of very precise trigger handling while maintaining safety. Classic set - triggers are not safe enough for hunting IMO, so I don't use them anymore.
Interesting. If I could put the CZ single set trigger into every rifle I own I would.

I just don't set the trigger till I'm committing to pulling it and if I need to take a quick shot without doing so I can.

Interesting. If I could put the CZ single set trigger into every rifle I own I would.

I just don't set the trigger till I'm committing to pulling it and if I need to take a quick shot without doing so I can.

Sorry, maybe my posting was kind of misleading, but what I meant was that when we were using bolt actions in the 1970 / 80 - ies over here almost all rifles had exclusively double set - triggers, so called German (Stecher) set - triggers. They were usually adjusted to very light weight, ca. 200 - 300 g (ca. 0,5 lbs) and had no option regarding an additional ordinary "direct trigger". So we were depending on these set -triggers even under driven hunts ... that's extremely dangerous as you may realize. Positively, later on and even today we get so called combi - triggers, which unite single set - trigger ("French" set - trigger) and ordinary direct triggers. It took me and many others time and effort to learn correct trigger-work on a direct trigger caused by set - triggers, which can and are compensating for bad trigger work. But when I got used to it I started shooting as good or better with a direct trigger than with a set - trigger. A crisp direct trigger with relatively low weight is much better for precise shooting than a badly adjusted set - trigger IMO. And much safer! Those who are still depending on set triggers (because accustomed to it) for precise rifle shooting still have the opportunity with the single stage set - trigger in a combi - setup.

Sorry, maybe my posting was kind of misleading, but what I meant was that when we were using bolt actions in the 1970 / 80 - ies over here almost all rifles had exclusively double set - triggers, so called German (Stecher) set - triggers. They were usually adjusted to very light weight, ca. 200 - 300 g (ca. 0,5 lbs) and had no option regarding an additional ordinary "direct trigger". So we were depending on these set -triggers even under driven hunts ... that's extremely dangerous as you may realize. Positively, later on and even today we get so called combi - triggers, which unite single set - trigger ("French" set - trigger) and ordinary direct triggers. It took me and many others time and effort to learn correct trigger-work on a direct trigger caused by set - triggers, which can and are compensating for bad trigger work. But when I got used to it I started shooting as good or better with a direct trigger than with a set - trigger. A crisp direct trigger with relatively low weight is much better for precise shooting than a badly adjusted set - trigger IMO. And much safer! Those who are still depending on set triggers (because accustomed to it) for precise rifle shooting still have the opportunity with the single stage set - trigger in a combi - setup.
Ahh, I'd have to agree. When things are happening close and fast a hair trigger becomes very dangerous.

The CZ single set trigger is fully adjustable in the set position and when it's not "set" it's about a 3-3.5lbs direct trigger.

For precision shooting it's the best trigger I have ever touched.

I set the new Timney trigger on my Ruger American Predator at 2 lbs. Some may feel this is too light for hunting but I find it just right because I'm used to a 1.5 pound pull in my competition rifle.

Now, with that new trigger and a new Boyd's Classic laminated stock I have a rifle that looks as good as it shoots. And boy does that rifle shoot. Consistent 1/2 MOA groups with 140 gr. Hornady ELD-M match ammo. Really? From a "bargain" rifle? Yep!

Eric B.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.