HOW LIGHT IS YOUR RIFLE

I don’t train nearly enough and getting a bit long in the tooth. Sub 9 lbs. is my sweet spot.
IMG_0600.jpeg
IMG_0303.jpeg

I have a 280AI that's right at 7# scoped with ammo ready to hunt. But it doesn't get used much. Most of my rifles are in the 9-11 pound range.
Two principal hunt rifles:
ClymR 7SAUM 22” bbl w/ VX6-HD 3-18 w/o cartridges w/Gunwerks brake = 7.67 lbs.
Rem 700BDL 338RUM 26” bbl w/ VX6-HD 3-18 w/o cartridges w/ APA brake w/ Stocky’s VG2 = 9.52 lbs.
I disliked brakes until my 7SAUM = no muzzle rise. My 338RUM stays on target with APA brake; without brake torqued and muzzle raised way off target.

I'm in the 9 to 11lb range. My preference is about 9.5 lbs with good balance.

A few years ago I had two rifles that were both about 10.5 lbs. One carried well and shoulderdd well, the other was very barrel heavy and was a pain to carry around with a 4.3 lb 26" barrel swinging around above my head.

I don't train nearly enough and getting a bit long in the tooth. Sub 9 lbs. is my sweet spot.
View attachment 577552View attachment 577553
Same here… now days I find myself looking at the shorter, lighter configurations to run suppressed.
FWIW… I picked a like new Springfield Redline in 308 for a dang good price and it shoots great @ 2910 fps withTac under 150 Accubonds .
That should cover most of my hunting needs.

Last edited:
As I get older, my rifles keep getting lighter! A couple of years ago I harvested a mule deer with my Tikka 270 WSM and the experience taught me I was done hunting and harvesting big game! I was 75 at the time and had trouble hanging the deer up to gut it out and then almost passed out a couple of times while I boned it out on the ground! So – I decided since I didn't want to quit hunting, I'd transition to coyote hunting instead. I have a Remington Varmint rifle in 22-250 that has a heavy barrel and it's a 1/4 inch rifle with the right loads but it's probably around 10 or 12 lbs but I haven't weighed it! I would use that for coyotes but it's too heavy for me to carry anymore! So I bought a Tikka T3 SuperLite in 22-250! With a light scope on it weighs somewhere around 6 ½ to 7 lbs. However, a number of years ago I had a rifle built on a Remington M-7 action in 257 Ackley Improved! I had it barreled with a 22 inch PacNor barrel and turned to the Winchester featherweight contour -- and I choose everything else about the build based on weight! The stock weighs 1 lb, the scope is a Leupold Ultralight 3x9 scope at about 9.5 ozs and the scope mount was the lightest I could find at the time -- S&K bases and rings which comes in at ounces too! Overall the rifle weighs something like 6 lbs loaded!

If you could use a vehicle to transport you gun and other gear to within say 100 feet from where you set up to hunt (long range), would the weight of your gun be as important to you?
What makes you think that there arent lots of people who do that?

As I get older, my rifles keep getting lighter! A couple of years ago I harvested a mule deer with my Tikka 270 WSM and the experience taught me I was done hunting and harvesting big game! I was 75 at the time and had trouble hanging the deer up to gut it out and then almost passed out a couple of times while I boned it out on the ground! So – I decided since I didn't want to quit hunting, I'd transition to coyote hunting instead. I have a Remington Varmint rifle in 22-250 that has a heavy barrel and it's a 1/4 inch rifle with the right loads but it's probably around 10 or 12 lbs but I haven't weighed it! I would use that for coyotes but it's too heavy for me to carry anymore! So I bought a Tikka T3 SuperLite in 22-250! With a light scope on it weighs somewhere around 6 ½ to 7 lbs. However, a number of years ago I had a rifle built on a Remington M-7 action in 257 Ackley Improved! I had it barreled with a 22 inch PacNor barrel and turned to the Winchester featherweight contour -- and I choose everything else about the build based on weight! The stock weighs 1 lb, the scope is a Leupold Ultralight 3x9 scope at about 9.5 ozs and the scope mount was the lightest I could find at the time -- S&K bases and rings which comes in at ounces too! Overall the rifle weighs something like 6 lbs loaded!
WOW 75 AND STILL GOING THATS AMAZING.

If you could use a vehicle to transport you gun and other gear to within say 100 feet from where you set up to hunt (long range), would the weight of your gun be as important to you?
What makes you think that there arent lots of people who do that?
I know lots of people that do that style of hunting and more power to them some replies were over 20 pound it's just fun to hear what people do. I didn't tell anybody to hunt with a light gun. Take a pill n chill this is for fun.

Recent Posts