How is StaBall 6.5 working out?

We are so blessed and fortunate to have all the options necessary that makes it possible to roll our own to do the incredible things that modern day equipment enables. Whether we're killing a bull elk over a thousand yards away or a prairie dog at five hundred or banging steel at obscene ranges. So many components, expensive, but we have incredible options when we can find them in stock. When I have time there's some cool stuff to enjoy, and StaBall has worked well for me in 6.5's and smaller.

I tried 6.5 StaBall with 127LRX in 6.5CM, because listed data gives pretty high velocities compared to other choices. Shot fine, but hit pressure at slightly less velocity than I was already getting with good ol' H4350 so just stuck with it, as I know H4350 to be pretty temp stable.

According to "internet lore" 6.5StaBall is more temp stable that most ball powders, but not nearly as stable as 4350. Have not temp tested 6.5StaBall myself.
I'm getting 2850 FPS with 6.5 sta bil and the 127 LRX bullet in a 22" barrel. What are you getting with H4350?

I'm still starting the grill with it
I put in my homemade steak rub. Shoot real good the next day. Also put it in the pepper mill for the guests.

6.5 Instaseer Steak Rub

image.jpg

I've found in 30-06 close to identical velocity to charge weight. 165 BT 63 grains R22/Staball 6.5 3000 fps 22 inch Ruger m77. R22 gives me superb accuracy yet to get accuracy goals with Staball. Been searching for R22 replacement because its unobtainium. 62.5 gr Staball 180 HH 2955 fps. Stopped testing without high pressure but I think close to it

I'm getting 2850 FPS with 6.5 sta bil and the 127 LRX bullet in a 22" barrel. What are you getting with H4350?
2930 w/ 24" barrel. 43.5gr H4350 Remington Brass
Tikka CTR Loaded a bit long at 2.850", still fits in the magazine. Way longer than COAL in Barnes data though. And their factory loading. Still jumping .070 in the Tikka.
Seems fast (too fast?), but primers aren't flat, no ejector swipes, no sticky bolt..... 🤷🏼‍♂️
ES 9
SD 3.4
How can I not run with it?

Big game works very well in my wifes 7-08 with 120 grain Hammers. 50 grains and a little over 3,000 fps. I haven't tried my stash of staball.
I use BG in the 7-08 with 140 grain BT and working on a load using 120 BT. I am so glad this powder is not popular but most probably see the velocity of staball 6.5 and skip over some good powder's which is fine with me. Whatever works best.

2930 w/ 24" barrel. 43.5gr H4350 Remington Brass
Tikka CTR Loaded a bit long at 2.850", still fits in the magazine. Way longer than COAL in Barnes data though. And their factory loading. Still jumping .070 in the Tikka.
Seems fast (too fast?), but primers aren't flat, no ejector swipes, no sticky bolt..... 🤷🏼‍♂️
ES 9
SD 3.4
How can I not run with it?
That is outstanding!!! i will try a work up to that in my rifles, but slightly lower because I'm COAL limited. Also I only have a 22" tube so that may be some of the difference in top velocity

That is outstanding!!! i will try a work up to that in my rifles, but slightly lower because I'm COAL limited. Also I only have a 22" tube so that may be some of the difference in top velocity
What's interesting is I have found a sweet spot for 6.5CM at 43.5gr H4350 with three different bullets. Like it's the magic charge weight for my rifle.
140 Hornady ELDM. 2805
145 Barnes Match Burner 2795
127 Barnes LRX. 2930
All loaded to mag length 2.850"

What's interesting is I have found a sweet spot for 6.5CM at 43.5gr H4350 with three different bullets. Like it's the magic charge weight for my rifle.
140 Hornady ELDM. 2805
145 Barnes Match Burner 2795
127 Barnes LRX. 2930
All loaded to mag length 2.850"
Those loads are probably close to max in your rifle as my book shows a couple of grains less as max for those bullets. No pressure signs in your rifle? That barnes 127 is a good load. I took a nice Wy buck with it last year at 325 yds. Golf ball sized exit hole in rib cage and your load is 50-60 FPS faster than I loaded up with Sta Bil but my barrel is 2" shorter too. Another bullet to try are the Hammers in the 110 - 123 grain range. This group of bullets works well in the CM and are smoking fast for a short action rifle.