Hornady ELD-X Official Thread

Guys -- I'm working through load development with a 212 eld-x and 300 WM and seem to be stuck.

My best groups to date are .85 moa at .040 off lands 78 gr of H1000. I know the rifle is capable of sub .5 moa (bergers). I'd really like to use the ELD-X as my hunting bullets but I'd like at least .5moa. Note. I've tested H1000 powder and seating depth combos from 76 to 78.5 grains and .020 to 0.60. Please let me know if you guys have any additional thoughts on how i can tighten things up.

Regards,

LHP

Component info: Norma Brass, Fed 215, H1000, 212 ELD-X

Rifle Info: 300 WM, 26" Bartlein 3b fluted, Stiller predator, jewell trigger, mcmillin hunter. Nightforce 5.5x22-50 G7 scope. Harrells gill break.

Don't be afraid to back them further from the lands. The 212 shot okay up close to the lands, but when I got them to around .095 off, my .6 MOA groups tightened to .3 MOA at my 330 yards. I'm also using retumbo to get them up to just shy of a comfortably pressured 3100 fps in a 28" Krieger 5R.

Following up closely, as I am in "load development" stage for my 300 WM as well.

At the moment I am focusing on Bergers, as ELD-X seem to be hard to find, although I'd like to give it a go, when I can lay my hands on them....

What twist rate is your barrel ?

Do you Guys think a 1 in 11" (26" bl) would stabilize a 212 grs. ELD bullet, or should I focus more on 178/200ish ?

Thanks
:)

ElD-X availability has increased dramatically in the last month. Gunwerks has tons in stock and most other retailers (midway, cabelas, etc) are getting them in now as well. My barrel is 1:10. I think 1:11 is really pushing it for a 212 gr bullet. The last info I saw from Berger, their 215 hybrid was optimized in a 1:9.5 bl. Going back to the range tomorrow to try to finish some load development work.

LHP

Don't be afraid to back them further from the lands. The 212 shot okay up close to the lands, but when I got them to around .095 off, my .6 MOA groups tightened to .3 MOA at my 330 yards. I'm also using retumbo to get them up to just shy of a comfortably pressured 3100 fps in a 28" Krieger 5R.

BTW. I'm using the 212s in a 300 RUM not a WM.

Thought that was pretty good velocity for a WM:D

75.5 grains of RL26 gives 3050fps with the 212 eld-x from a 300 win mag.
When the barrel sets in should be around 3100fps. Great accuracy. I had room to go more before pressure showed. Stopped at 75.5 for accuracy.
This is a full custom rifle. Rogue action and a Broughton barrel.

75.5 grains of RL26 gives 3050fps with the 212 eld-x from a 300 win mag.
When the barrel sets in should be around 3100fps. Great accuracy. I had room to go more before pressure showed. Stopped at 75.5 for accuracy.
This is a full custom rifle. Rogue action and a Broughton barrel.

A little off topic, but how is RL26 as far as being temp sensitive?

A little off topic, but how is RL26 as far as being temp sensitive?

Very stable.
Tested a 300 rum. Put 10 rounds in the freezer over night.
Pulled from the freezer after 12 hours. Put n a cooler. IR thermometer reads 33 degrees at firing. Fired all 10. ES 12 fps
Next test was heat. Put 10 rounds in cerakote oven. Temp at 100 degrees.
Pulled rounds from the heat after 1 hour and shot. IR temp was 98 degrees. ES16 fps.
I know it is a basic test and is only 1 test. Others I know have tried similar tests with the same outcome. RL26 is temp stable

Very stable.
Tested a 300 rum. Put 10 rounds in the freezer over night.
Pulled from the freezer after 12 hours. Put n a cooler. IR thermometer reads 33 degrees at firing. Fired all 10. ES 12 fps
Next test was heat. Put 10 rounds in cerakote oven. Temp at 100 degrees.
Pulled rounds from the heat after 1 hour and shot. IR temp was 98 degrees. ES16 fps.
I know it is a basic test and is only 1 test. Others I know have tried similar tests with the same outcome. RL26 is temp stable

That is good but what was the difference in velocity between temps? I have not done an official chorno test, but it does not seem too bad based on drop.....Rich

The eldx 162 with h1000 works in my 28 nosler. This is a 6 shot group at 100 and an elk at 1025 yds, the eld worked well .
attach.gif
28nosler6shots.jpg

elk1025yds.jpg

Guys -- I'm working through load development with a 212 eld-x and 300 WM and seem to be stuck.

My best groups to date are .85 moa at .040 off lands 78 gr of H1000. I know the rifle is capable of sub .5 moa (bergers). I'd really like to use the ELD-X as my hunting bullets but I'd like at least .5moa. Note. I've tested H1000 powder and seating depth combos from 76 to 78.5 grains and .020 to 0.60. Please let me know if you guys have any additional thoughts on how i can tighten things up.

Regards,

LHP

Component info: Norma Brass, Fed 215, H1000, 212 ELD-X

Rifle Info: 300 WM, 26" Bartlein 3b fluted, Stiller predator, jewell trigger, mcmillin hunter. Nightforce 5.5x22-50 G7 scope. Harrells gill break.

Have you tried just touching the lands?

so again, you missed where I said very adequate, If not specifically designed for extreme long range.

lead has been banned from waterfowl hunting for some years.
California just instituted it for the entire state for all bullets
The US military is going lead free for their standard battle bullet.

IDK...it may indeed have been a better investment of time and money to focus on perfecting the solid core design to eliminate the deficiencies you point out.

On topic, I was talking about the ELD-X tip technology.
I grant that much else has gone off topic, so I guess we can just agree to disagree on the rest.
It's basic chemistry, you cannot get a solid to equal the density of lead core bullets and as a result you will never be able to equal the BC of a comparably shaped/size lead core bullet with a solid.

Since depleted uranium is not likely to become commercially available in the near term....you need to work with what you have....willing to bet others will follow California's lead...not promoting it, just acknowledging it.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.