Help me decide which 22LR bolt action

I have a cz452, shoots great but the cheek rest on that wooden stock is horrible for me. Tried looking for an aftermarket one but nobody seems to make one anymore, like the mdt.

Attachments

• IMG_4128.jpeg
    IMG_4128.jpeg
    383.3 KB · Views: 23
I have a cz452, shoots great but the cheek rest on that wooden stock is horrible for me. Tried looking for an aftermarket one but nobody seems to make one anymore, like the mdt.
Great looking rifle….that front schnabel 👍👍. I really wanted that classic wood stock and CZ fit the bill. At some point I'll take on a refinishing project to let the beauty beneath the 'brown mud' come to life.

I own a CZ 457 American with the 24" tapered barrel and wood stock. I bought it mainly for hunting and a little target practice and plinking. I scoped it with an older Japanese made Sightron SII 4-16x42 with the adjustable AO and Burris steel rings, the scope is an even pound and the rings are 5oz. The rifle alone weighs an even 6lbs and I could've shaved off a half a pound of the total weight with a different scope and aluminum rings, but as it sits, it weighs in at about seven and a half pounds out the door, slung and loaded. Out of the box the easily adjustable stock trigger pull on mine was set at a heavy, but crisp 4lbs 8oz which I readjusted to 1lb 14oz without any modifications. When you're shooting from a bench how far the magazine sticks out the bottom of the gun isn't much of a concern, but out in the woods I carry a gun around the middle a lot, I took a hard look at the Tikka, but when I was handling it in the store the Tikka's magazine stuck out to far for me to comfortably carry the gun around its waist, I wish the CZ's magazine was flush with the stock, but it's not bad. Overall the 457 is a nice gun and at its price point I don't think you can do much better. I think you'll be very happy with your choice.
That's a really nice piece of wood esp the grain on the left side. I like the checkering work on the American a lot better than my Varmint but I wanted the heavier / shorter barrel. Is that how your stock came new or did you refinish that one?

KsKevin I added a couple pictures for you of what I started with, I did strip and refinish the stock with Tru-oil and it looks a lot better than when I got. See attached link to 24hourcampfire if you want more details. One thing my grandson and I both noticed with using the CCI standard velocity, the longer barreled CZ is much quieter than my 10/22.

Attachments

• IMG_8362.jpeg
    IMG_8362.jpeg
    548.8 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_8365.jpeg
    IMG_8365.jpeg
    521 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Wanting to get a new 22LR and have been doing tons of research but still struggling a bit to find something that exactly fits my needs. Looking for recos for just a really nice bolt action to use for plinking / hunting rifle but will also be accurate enough to have fun target shooting.

REQUIREMENTS
* Bolt action
* Want to run suppressed so 16-18" barrel (heavy / stiff enough to still have great accuracy when can is installed…heard carbon fibers can be finicky here)
* Keep weight somewhat down (thinking <6.5# bare)
* prefer magazine not extend down too much as don't want it to interfere with hand placement for offhand shooting.

My assessment thus far
Here is what I've found / concluded this far
* CZ (I like the 457s but either barrels too long and/or not threaded, or overall weight in the 7#+ range)
* Anschutz (1710s too heavy, 1761 magazine hangs down right in front of trigger guard, 1712 AV looks like it could fit the bill but this one is a bit more than I'd like to spend but may be willing to go there if no other great options)
* Bergara - too heavy
* Volquartsen - Summit could fit the need
* Vudoo - ****, don't want to spend $3k+

In summary, seems Volquartsen Summit and Anschutz 1712 AV are only two options that meet my requirements.

Looking for input and if there are other great options I'm missing. Thanks guys

Kevin
I bought a Ruger American Rimfire last summer after shooting a friend's rifle. Both his and mine are very accurate for production hunting / field rifles. -Ed

KsKevin I added a couple pictures for you of what I started with, I did stripped and refinish the stock with Tru-oil and it looks a lot better than when I got. See attached link to 24hourcampfire if you want more details. One thing my grandson and I both noticed with using the CCI standard velocity, the longer barreled CZ is much quieter than my 10/22.

WOW!!!! What a difference. Nice work and thanks for the link. Definitely adding this to my 'to-do' list (maybe a winter project if I have enough patience to hold off that long 😝)

Wanting to get a new 22LR and have been doing tons of research but still struggling a bit to find something that exactly fits my needs. Looking for recos for just a really nice bolt action to use for plinking / hunting rifle but will also be accurate enough to have fun target shooting.

REQUIREMENTS
* Bolt action
* Want to run suppressed so 16-18" barrel (heavy / stiff enough to still have great accuracy when can is installed…heard carbon fibers can be finicky here)
* Keep weight somewhat down (thinking <6.5# bare)
* prefer magazine not extend down too much as don't want it to interfere with hand placement for offhand shooting.

My assessment thus far
Here is what I've found / concluded this far
* CZ (I like the 457s but either barrels too long and/or not threaded, or overall weight in the 7#+ range)
* Anschutz (1710s too heavy, 1761 magazine hangs down right in front of trigger guard, 1712 AV looks like it could fit the bill but this one is a bit more than I'd like to spend but may be willing to go there if no other great options)
* Bergara - too heavy
* Volquartsen - Summit could fit the need
* Vudoo - ****, don't want to spend $3k+

In summary, seems Volquartsen Summit and Anschutz 1712 AV are only two options that meet my requirements.

Looking for input and if there are other great options I'm missing. Thanks guys

Kevin
my little bergara BMR fits the bill. weighs 6.25# with a Leupold 3x9 rimfire on it. Already threaded, and its accurate with cheap ammo. Only downside, I picked up some super high velocity CCI ammo for squirrels and they dont fit. Apparently the case is a tad longer, and the Bergara has a match chamber that wont take them. My old glenfield eats the new cci rounds.
I recommend this rifle.

One more vote for Tikka T1x. It's an excellent rifle straight out of box, available with 16" barrel, works like a charm and you can retrofit into ANY T3x stock so the sky is the limit in case you want to turn it into something else than what it already is. It almost feels like a no-brainer to me.
I shoot left handed so had an added requirement. Tikka T1x was my choice. Save the money on the rifle (Volquartsen is pricey) and put the $ in good ammo. My Tikka shots great at 100yds with Eley Match @ $16/50. I am sure it will shoot as well with less spendy ammo, but it was the first one I bought and it shot lights out.

Recent Posts