Help me decide which 22LR bolt action

KsKevin

Wanting to get a new 22LR and have been doing tons of research but still struggling a bit to find something that exactly fits my needs. Looking for recos for just a really nice bolt action to use for plinking / hunting rifle but will also be accurate enough to have fun target shooting.

REQUIREMENTS
* Bolt action
* Want to run suppressed so 16-18" barrel (heavy / stiff enough to still have great accuracy when can is installed…heard carbon fibers can be finicky here)
* Keep weight somewhat down (thinking <6.5# bare)
* prefer magazine not extend down too much as don't want it to interfere with hand placement for offhand shooting.

My assessment thus far
Here is what I've found / concluded this far
* CZ (I like the 457s but either barrels too long and/or not threaded, or overall weight in the 7#+ range)
* Anschutz (1710s too heavy, 1761 magazine hangs down right in front of trigger guard, 1712 AV looks like it could fit the bill but this one is a bit more than I'd like to spend but may be willing to go there if no other great options)
* Bergara - too heavy
* Volquartsen - Summit could fit the need
* Vudoo - ****, don't want to spend $3k+

In summary, seems Volquartsen Summit and Anschutz 1712 AV are only two options that meet my requirements.

Looking for input and if there are other great options I'm missing. Thanks guys

Kevin

Just an fyi.
You can easily take the barrel off the cz and have it sent out to be cut and threaded for a can.
I've got a cz455 done that way
Thanks Tom. This may be the route i end up going. I called CZ USA today and they shared I can order their replacement barrels where they have both the standard and match 16.5" threaded varmint contours available (could also do an aftermarket barrel).

What accuracy are you wanting and with bulk, 100 pack, match ammo, premium match ammo?

No way to make accurate (no pun intended) suggestions without knowing what kind of accuracy you will be expecting and the ammo price you want to pay.
Seems finding the ammo that your barrel likes is critical. Would like to get 50yd 5-shot groups consistently <0.4". Is this reasonable without having to spend $2k+?

No love for the Tikka T1x🤷🏻‍♂️. Meets all your requirements and more. Also the Bergara BMR is not all that heavy and has a great trigger and bolt setup! I have it in 22 WMR and thinking I should get a LR too. I also have the T1x and they are both very accurate!

No love for the Tikka T1x🤷🏻‍♂️. Meets all your requirements and more. Also the Bergara BMR is not all that heavy and has a great trigger and bolt setup! I have it in 22 WMR and thinking I should get a LR too. I also have the T1x and they are both very accurate!
Now you've got me researching the Tikka in more detail. I'm more fond of having a gorgeous wood stock for this particular rifle as more of a 'classic' hunting rifle so thus why I'm leaning away from the Bergara (and the Volquartsen option was one I listed but not super excited about it due to stock options)

If it came down to tikka and CZ Varmint, what are the pros / cons?

I struggled some with choosing a new 22LR bolt rifle. My requirements were similar to yours. I was having some conflicting thoughts on barrel length, threaded, light weight for squirrel hunting, solid accuracy, etc. I talked myself out of going over-board on high end rifles. I picked up a CZ 457 synthetic with 20" barrel today. The stock is cheap, but it actually feels decent when shouldering. It is only a little over 5lbs as it sits. I've heard great things about CZ's and thought I would see for myself.
Ordered the Area 419 rail and a few boxes of ammo to test. I've always shot fairly inexpensive 22LR ammo in the past. I thought I would treat the new rifle to some Lapua and Eley TenX to see what it likes.
Good luck on getting exactly what you want.

I love my CZs but they are the older 452s. I don't think you can go wrong with either of those two and I understand the nostalgia of a wood stocked blued beauty. The problem with all my wood stocked blued beauties is they now have a whole bunch of extra character to them! Scratches, dents, dings, and discoloration. I realize I really
use things hard so I am not a posed to synthetic stocks. I still take my wood stocked 452s out and plink. They just don't go as far from home now.
You should be able to find a shorter barrel in the 457, T1X, and BMR threaded. I like all three myself so it comes down to what you want. I was shooting my bullet holes with cheap federal ammo yesterday at 30 yards off the hood of my truck with the T1x. All of them should be easily found for under $600 and I have seen the BMR for under $400 easily. If I got another it would be a BMR. The bolt is real smoth and the trigger is quite wonderful. It also feels more traditional if that makes sense.

Now you've got me researching the Tikka in more detail. I'm more fond of having a gorgeous wood stock for this particular rifle as more of a 'classic' hunting rifle so thus why I'm leaning away from the Bergara (and the Volquartsen option was one I listed but not super excited about it due to stock options)

If it came down to tikka and CZ Varmint, what are the pros / cons?
CZ barrel swaps are super easy and you can get barrels in 17 or 22 caliber. 5 shots each at 50 yards.1/2" grid
IMG_5592.png
IMG_5593.png

Last edited:
I struggled some with choosing a new 22LR bolt rifle. My requirements were similar to yours. I was having some conflicting thoughts on barrel length, threaded, light weight for squirrel hunting, solid accuracy, etc. I talked myself out of going over-board on high end rifles. I picked up a CZ 457 synthetic with 20" barrel today. The stock is cheap, but it actually feels decent when shouldering. It is only a little over 5lbs as it sits. I've heard great things about CZ's and thought I would see for myself.
Ordered the Area 419 rail and a few boxes of ammo to test. I've always shot fairly inexpensive 22LR ammo in the past. I thought I would treat the new rifle to some Lapua and Eley TenX to see what it likes.
Good luck on getting exactly what you want.
I have the same CZ but with the 16.5" barrel and so does a friend of mine. We each bought a brick of about 7-10 different high quality ammo. What I found was that the rifle liked the SK Long Range (bright yellow writing) and Lapua Center X. The SK was about half the price of the Lapua and the difference was not noticeable enough to warrant a more expensive ammo. Ten shot group at 50yds is easily inside a dime from a bag and bench. Shoots well out to 200yds for the local matches and that's as far as I've tried it. Good luck.

Wanting to get a new 22LR and have been doing tons of research but still struggling a bit to find something that exactly fits my needs. Looking for recos for just a really nice bolt action to use for plinking / hunting rifle but will also be accurate enough to have fun target shooting.

REQUIREMENTS
* Bolt action
* Want to run suppressed so 16-18" barrel (heavy / stiff enough to still have great accuracy when can is installed…heard carbon fibers can be finicky here)
* Keep weight somewhat down (thinking <6.5# bare)
* prefer magazine not extend down too much as don't want it to interfere with hand placement for offhand shooting.

My assessment thus far
Here is what I've found / concluded this far
* CZ (I like the 457s but either barrels too long and/or not threaded, or overall weight in the 7#+ range)
* Anschutz (1710s too heavy, 1761 magazine hangs down right in front of trigger guard, 1712 AV looks like it could fit the bill but this one is a bit more than I'd like to spend but may be willing to go there if no other great options)
* Bergara - too heavy
* Volquartsen - Summit could fit the need
* Vudoo - ****, don't want to spend $3k+

In summary, seems Volquartsen Summit and Anschutz 1712 AV are only two options that meet my requirements.

Looking for input and if there are other great options I'm missing. Thanks guys

Kevin
I have a CZ457 with the manners stock and the 16.5" threaded barrel. About $800 I think a couple years ago. Shoots 10 rounds inside a dime at 50 yds and works well. SK Long Range (bright yellow writing) is the one I use. Shot other Eley and SK and wasn't worth a darn. Multiple rifles seems to like this combo with my friends as well. Good luck!