Has anyone bought a Howa in the last year?

FWIW, I got my Howa about 28 months ago and it has been excellent. The 40gr WWB I broke it in with was great @~.75. Shooting my 55gr vmax is @~ .60 and I was able to get the Amax 52gr to shoot about .45, but I need to get my hands on more of them. This is the basic Howa/Hogue combo sporter.

It's a keeper IMO; I've had zero issues. The 'yotes hate it.

I hear you mate, they are a fantastic rifle, yours certainly shoots great, hope mine shoots that well with handloads, I may have to try the Amax by the looks of it.

Thanks for the reply mate really appreciate it

brought a howa stainless heavy barrelled .243 in feb, once i found its favoured diet -80 grain federal soft points its been a dream! just under an inch at 100 for 5 shots. the b&c stock thats in the mail should help that though, cos the standard hogue one is fairly average in my opinion

I thought I'd better come back and update everyone on the Howa I bought earlier this year.

Well its a bloody cracker of a rifle, very accurate, reliable no fuss at all to hand load for which makes life easy when it comes to that. It loves 55gn and 50gn projectiles (haven't tried any other weights) no need as the 55gn projectiles I use are doing a fantastic job.

I've been using the Sierra Super Roos in 55gn in mine mainly because they were cheap to buy at $140 per 1000 and because they also shot really well and above all they killed very efficently, I think I've had to take a second shot once (misjudged the shot) I can highly recommend the projectile, does a fantastic job.

I settled on the load as follows: AR2206H 34.5gn, CCI200 Primers, Any brass I can find, Sierra Super Roo 55gn.

I've got around 700 odd round through it now and still performing perfectly, I originally bought a barreled action only and imported the Boyds Thumbhole stock in the colour "Pepper" great stocks if anyone ones one, just a straight drop in fit, I did sand the barrel channel sightly just to open it up a bit as it was touching slightly but no big deal 5mins work and sorted.

I've also had the trigger done by Glen Coughlan "The Ebay Guy" people talk about, top job and I can highly recommend him as well. Other than that its all standard, no bedding or pillars, I've got compound there to do the bedding but as yet I don't really need to as it shoots very well indeed.

Here's the results of some load testing earlier in the year.:D Pictures by bigfellascott - Photobucket

Anyone who is thinking about a Howa - GO FOR IT - their bloody brillant, can't fault it at all.

I've just ordered a 30 inch No.7 PAcnor for my Howa .223! Its a supermatch with a 4 groove 8 twist.

I'll be using this for F class and what ever else takes 80gn A maxes! I think I'll be 2800's low 2900's with this tube in the .223. Puts a new slant on the old .223 kind of doesnt it.

I also ordered a 6mmBr barrel savage prefit No 8 contour from Pacnor.agagin supermatch 8 twist 3 groove

I'll keep you guys posted but its a 4 month wait I think...

Interesting and volatile thread!! I have had 3 howas over the years and have gone on to customise 2 rifles using Howa actions. No, I haven't bought a rifle or action in the last 2 years but I can say that 2 mates who have purchased in this time std factory Howa rifles are very pleased and getting reliable consistant performance and accuracy.

Simply put, I would rate the actions as strong, well made and toleranced. They are realistically priced and ready to shoot. The biggest put off is the lack of availability of actions on their own as I wouldn't hesitate to build another rifle with one. The houge stocks also need throwing away:D

Yes, the Tikka's are good value accurate rifles out of the box but not everyone likes the plastic mag, the lack of a half cock etc. At the end of the day it should always come down to what you enjoy shooting and the answer is YES Howa is a good product.

Two truck loads of coyotes, coons and bobcats later I still love mine!! Got it on sale and with a Nikko scope. I night hunt a lot and prefer head shots too. Your mate has the right idea.

Attachments

• 4621f73f-086d-461d-a32f-d250278bead2-1.jpg
    4621f73f-086d-461d-a32f-d250278bead2-1.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 193
Two truck loads of coyotes, coons and bobcats later I still love mine!! Got it on sale and with a Nikko scope. I night hunt a lot and prefer head shots too. Your mate has the right idea.

Great results! That's all you can ask for at the end of the day is results - Howa's certain produce those! I too am very happy with my Howa's performance and can highly recommend them to anyone who is in the market for a good solid reliable rifle that doesn't cost an arm and a leg and still produces A Grade accuracy.gun)

Look right between the eyes for the 22-250 hole.
Howa accuracy is good enough for me!

Attachments

• dc9f6d13-d6a0-4695-badc-ed84bf728ea6.jpg
    dc9f6d13-d6a0-4695-badc-ed84bf728ea6.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 196
I was calling and he hung up at the edge of the trees at about 120 yards. He looked right at me when i swivled to sight on him. Bad mistake! Last thing that went through his mind was a 40 grn. V-Max @ 4000 fps.

That's very good shooting mate - well done. I was out with a mate shooting foxes he nailed one at 307m (335yds) and I nailed one at 248m (271yds) shooting out of the window of a vehicle. My mate was using a 204cal and I was using the 22.250, both very good cals.

I haven't tried the 40gn projectiles in mine, I guess it shoots really well with the 55gn pills so no need. I'm guessing my velocity is around 3500fps give or take, which is plenty fast enough for me.

What sort of groups are you getting from your Howa? Best I've got on quite a few occasions now is .3" @100m for 5 shots and .4" @ 200m 4 shots 5th shot I pulled as the cease fire siren went! lol.

This is the second Howa I've owned and the other one was just as accurate once I found a load it liked. Unfortunately I sold it yrs ago (very stupid idea) but at least I've found another one which is just as good in a bigger cal, so all good really.

Cheers

I've just ordered a 30 inch No.7 PAcnor for my Howa .223! Its a supermatch with a 4 groove 8 twist.

I'll be using this for F class and what ever else takes 80gn A maxes! I think I'll be 2800's low 2900's with this tube in the .223. Puts a new slant on the old .223 kind of doesnt it.

I also ordered a 6mmBr barrel savage prefit No 8 contour from Pacnor.agagin supermatch 8 twist 3 groove

I'll keep you guys posted but its a 4 month wait I think...

Make sure you let us know how it all turns out!:) sounds very good in deed.

I have rarely shot it on paper. It has killed over a hundred varmints with only two misses... both on running coyotes after their mate died next to them. I like the flattness of the 40 grn. At those speeds and got consistent 1 inch or under groups outa that load and haven't jacked with groups since. She rides in the truck and gets beat around but still performs so " if it aint broke don't try and fix it" I say.