Gun builder vs gun builder

I went to gun smithing school but for me it was a hobby as I wouldn't invest into the tooling required. Like a lathe and mill. My friend bought a used lathe and rebuilt the head stock, I can tell you the precision ground bearings are expensive. You get what you pay for. Sure you can get a cheap factory rifle that might shoot. then slowly upgrade parts but it will come close to the cost of a custom. Plus custom actions hold their value better than a Remington 700, savage or Tikka.

This is a CUSTOM rifle:
1730039044256.png

1730039558414.png

Lee Helgeland Custom Winchester Model 70 .458 Win. Mag.

22" tapered round barrel with hooded full-band front sight, full-band swivel
base, and quarter rib with 1 standing and two folding gold-lined express sights. Fully figured walnut stock with ebony forend tip, classic wrap-around point-pattern checkering with mullered borders, twin recoil crossbolts, steel-capped pistol grip, classic comb, double-beaded pancake cheek piece, inletted rear swivel base and leather-covered recoil pad.
Winchester Model 70 controlled-feed action with custom bolt handle with five-panel checkering, built up and checkered bolt stop, FIRE inlaid in gold, cloverleaf rear top tang, and Blackburn hinged straddle floor plate with release inside trigger guard.

Extensively engraved by Barry Lee Hands: deep-chiseled scroll on front sight band and hood, front swivel base, barrel breech, receiver, bolt, recoil bolts, trigger guard, grip cap, and rear swivel stud. Scenes of nine elephant on left side of quarter rib, five on right; and bull elephant surrounded with deep-chiseled scroll on floor plate. Pull: 14-1/2". Weight: 8lbs 12oz. Completed in 2011. New condition. $23,975..
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm sure there are several folks who are spitting their teeth out trying to trash the above idea. Yes, it conflicts with current trends and ideas regarding rifle building but this is the basis of custom rifle building as it was for decades. It still is although the number of buyers is shrinking.

I don't care how you divide up the definition of custom rifle building or the cost of such for that matter, with the exception of the amateurs assembling parts and calling it a 'custom rifle' when they go to sell it. Ego aside, the problem is starting to come up where amateurs are now selling their 'custom' rifles and asking that custom price. There is now and will be continuing confusion in this category due to this disparity.

Builders such as GW have every right to charge what they can get. The public will ascertain what they think about the value. GW has a ton of overhead, much of which most don't even know about let alone take into consideration for pricing out their rifles. Have a clear-cut discussion with your insurance agent sometime while they tour your shop. Sit down when they deliver the cost.

Also be aware that when we order parts and barrels, we rarely order just the one to finish A project. At one point GAP was keeping an inventory of 120 barrels ($36,000) in order to keep up with demand. Do you have $36,000 for one section of inventory for building rifles?

These discussions are usually cyclical so it's bound to come up again and again.

Enjoy!

;)

I'm glad I don't require a very highly specialized arrangement like the one above. For 100yd and less dangerous game shots, it appears the Hunter could defiinitely accomplish the job laying out less coin, nonetheless that is certainly a masterful creation. Gorgeous!

Don't forget about FFL licensing, property tax in some locations, federal excise tax on those with type 07 mfg licenses ( which they better have or the ATF will not be happy), and they have to pay income tax on proceeds from the business. If a builder is doing it as a hobby/side hustle from his machining business then maybe they can get by on less, but a full service gun builder has overhead out the wazoo. Plus as said before the prices on the parts have skyrocketed, the demand has skyrocketed, I suppose the number of folks with $8-10K to spend on a rifle has skyrocketed. The days of cheap anything are probably over.

This is a CUSTOM rifle:View attachment 612152
View attachment 612153
Lee Helgeland Custom Winchester Model 70 .458 Win. Mag.

22" tapered round barrel with hooded full-band front sight, full-band swivel
base, and quarter rib with 1 standing and two folding gold-lined express sights. Fully figured walnut stock with ebony forend tip, classic wrap-around point-pattern checkering with mullered borders, twin recoil crossbolts, steel-capped pistol grip, classic comb, double-beaded pancake cheek piece, inletted rear swivel base and leather-covered recoil pad.
Winchester Model 70 controlled-feed action with custom bolt handle with five-panel checkering, built up and checkered bolt stop, FIRE inlaid in gold, cloverleaf rear top tang, and Blackburn hinged straddle floor plate with release inside trigger guard.

Extensively engraved by Barry Lee Hands: deep-chiseled scroll on front sight band and hood, front swivel base, barrel breech, receiver, bolt, recoil bolts, trigger guard, grip cap, and rear swivel stud. Scenes of nine elephant on left side of quarter rib, five on right; and bull elephant surrounded with deep-chiseled scroll on floor plate. Pull: 14-1/2". Weight: 8lbs 12oz. Completed in 2011. New condition. $23,975..
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm sure there are several folks who are spitting their teeth out trying to trash the above idea. Yes, it conflicts with current trends and ideas regarding rifle building but this is the basis of custom rifle building as it was for decades. It still is although the number of buyers is shrinking.

I don't care how you divide up the definition of custom rifle building or the cost of such for that matter, with the exception of the amateurs assembling parts and calling it a 'custom rifle' when they go to sell it. Ego aside, the problem is starting to come up where amateurs are now selling their 'custom' rifles and asking that custom price. There is now and will be continuing confusion in this category due to this disparity.

Builders such as GW have every right to charge what they can get. The public will ascertain what they think about the value. GW has a ton of overhead, much of which most don't even know about let alone take into consideration for pricing out their rifles. Have a clear-cut discussion with your insurance agent sometime while they tour your shop. Sit down when they deliver the cost.

Also be aware that when we order parts and barrels, we rarely order just the one to finish A project. At one point GAP was keeping an inventory of 120 barrels ($36,000) in order to keep up with demand. Do you have $36,000 for one section of inventory for building rifles?

These discussions are usually cyclical so it's bound to come up again and again.

Enjoy!

;)

Good points.
The rifle you mentioned above is what I would definitely consider a custom rifle. No doubt. Gorgeous rifle.

I will also say that the more overhead to justify cost increase will never be a valid point in my book.
I've owned multiple shops and currently own an archery shop.
Sold electric bikes for the last 10 years. Had a big shop, had a small shop.

Anyhow. Definitely a gorgeous rifle you posted and great discussion.