Great discussion.

Friend of mine shot his 338LAI in 3 target agg. 19'' group at 2000 yrds.Another friend with a Wheeler build put 2 shot in 4'' with his 338LAI at 1755 yard on a 2'x3' plate The big guns can shoot
Tell your friends they should be practicing 12 different shooting positions and then trying their 2000 yard and 1755 yard groups in those different positions with a 22 Creedmoor. Then I'll believe that they can shoot their 338LAIs comfortably and consistently at 2000 yards. But not until they try it with a smaller caliber can we discern wether or not they can shoot larger calibers. 😁😁😁😁

Disclaimer: This is humour. I understand what most are trying to say. But if someone can shoot a big gun they can shoot a big gun. No experimenting needed. IMO

Why is a braked big rifle harder to shoot than a small one?
Speaking for me personally I shoot all of my non magnum cartridges with a suppressor, I shoot my magnums with an aggressive brake. The muzzle blast is significant with 100 grains of powder lighting off. I still shoot them pretty well but I still shoot my smaller cartridge rifles better.

Speaking for me personally I shoot all of my non magnum cartridges with a suppressor, I shoot my magnums with an aggressive brake. The muzzle blast is significant with 100 grains of powder lighting off. I still shoot them pretty well but I still shoot my smaller cartridge rifles better.
So in your experience, what's the problem with sparking off 100 grains of powder? Is it the recoil or the "muzzle blast" thats the issue? Do your aggressive muzzle brakes do a good job of reducing recoil to a manageable point?

As stated before, I can shoot my large caliber rifles as good as I can small. Obviously there's extreme ends of the spectrum where that may not be so true. But in a general sense I don't believe the case that small caliber rifles make a shooter more accurate in a hunting situation. If you practice with your equipment and become competent, with today's recoil management I believe that the average person can become accurate with larger calibers. I have, everyone I know has...surely I'm not the only one experiencing this phenomenon. Muzzle brakes are amazing, use them.

I have a friend that's a die hard small caliber guy, he hates the noise and percussion of brakes. He used to whine about the recoil of larger calibers until with today's brakes he couldn't really whine much more cuz my properly braked 7mags recoil less than his little rifles that aren't braked. So now he's literally just being a "pansie" because my rifles hurt his ears. 😁😁😁😁

No, your rifles are actually damaging his ears and yours. You just don't know it yet, or haven't admitted it to yourself yet.

This is not an opinion. Look at the dB threshold that causes permanent damage. Now look at the dB rating of your ear pro if used in absolutely perfect conditions (which it never is), and the dB level of a braked magnum rifle. I guarantee that the math adds up to a result that you are over the permanent damage threshold.

That doesn't even take into account the research that is currently being done regarding sound and pressure wave travel through the sinuses and what that is doing to your ears and soft tissue.

No, your rifles are actually damaging his ears and yours. You just don't know it yet, or haven't admitted it to yourself yet.

This is not an opinion. Look at the dB threshold that causes permanent damage. Now look at the dB rating of your ear pro if used in absolutely perfect conditions (which it never is), and the dB level of a braked magnum rifle. I guarantee that the math adds up to a result that you are over the permanent damage threshold.

That doesn't even take into account the research that is currently being done regarding sound and pressure wave travel through the sinuses and what that is doing to your ears and soft tissue.
My rifles aren't damaging anyone ears man. If he's too stubborn to plug his ears while he's sitting over a spotter watching a shot, just to make a point than he's damaging his own ears. I've had extreme hearing loss/damage for my entire adult life. I protect my hearing (or what I have left) religiously. Baselines were taken many thousands of large caliber/guage rounds ago. No amount of hearing loss has accumulated by not plugging my nose since then hahaha.
This is also not an opinion.

Last edited:
So in your experience, what's the problem with sparking off 100 grains of powder? Is it the recoil or the "muzzle blast" thats the issue? Do your aggressive muzzle brakes do a good job of reducing recoil to a manageable point?
Yes They do but I get a lot of blast back toward the shooter.

EDIT TO ADD: I have no problem shooting 20-30 rounds in a session but I know I’m still more precise with my smaller cartridges. This is a 338 Norma Improved with 300 grain OTMs at 2950’ish with a 28” barrel.

Last edited:
Yes I know they have used smaller calibers, but now in modern times there things like wide use of 338NM and cheytac options.Which have set world record for longest.

Southpaw, That same guy has shot many WR with 6 dasher, and has a 6# 6mm he's shot 3-4'' at 1000 3 shots