Great discussion.

Exactly….maybe cut a few luxuries out of the pack and substitute it for heavier rifle. I won’t compromise on glass or my rifle…period.

My teenage girls shoot a 300 nmi and can spot their own impacts at 400yds.

The men country has gotten soft. Its carrying over into the hunting community.
I agree. Like I said, I wanted to shoot a 300 NMI last year. So it weighed 14 pounds, so that I could shoot it properly.

The reality is, most people will not do that. They will not carry a rifle over 8lbs back pack hunting because this or that reason.

You’re talking from a pedestal that the average hunter can’t even fathom. They don’t hardly spend more than 1 day behind their rifles before season. Let alone understand recoil management with each cartridge/caliber and how it affects shooting.

It’s very easy to say “well they should just do this or that and they’d be fine”

They will not do hardly any of “this or that” lol

I grew up with two guys, my best friends actually, that shot 243s. The aftershot adventures were numerous. I helped with a lot of the trailing. One Christmas Santa left each of them a 270. Did they simply shoot the 270s better? I don't know. But the number of kills went up, aftershot adventures went down.
I have also seen three different men that would be ready to fight you over the effectiveness of their 243 quit with them and go to 270, 280, 7mm, or 30-06 after losing a nice buck or two.
It's not hard to lose an animal where I live. Deep water, gators, snakes, briars, bays, and cane brakes make trailing tough to impossible. A testosterone charged buck coupled with adrenaline can travel a long way after he's hit. I stick with the 6.5s and up for serious hunting.
On the flip side I had another buddy get on a magnum kick and get himself a 300 win mag. He couldn't handle the recoil and concussion. Shot up half the countryside and wounded quite a few deer before we finally convinced him to give it up and go back to his 30/06 that he had literally killed a trainload of deer with.

He sucked because he didn’t practice. Not my problem but to say a smaller gun will solve the problem is not right. It solves it until when? That same shooter doesn’t practice with it and miss calls the wind at 300 yards and gut shoots it or hits high in no mans land and bullet doesn’t have enough *** in it too anchor the animal? If you cant shoot you cant shoot practice and practice with right tool for the job.

He sucked because he didn’t practice. Not my problem but to say a smaller gun will solve the problem is not right. It solves it until when? That same shooter doesn’t practice with it and miss calls the wind at 300 yards and gut shoots it or hits high in no mans land and bullet doesn’t have enough *** in it too anchor the animal? If you cant shoot you cant shoot practice and practice with right tool for the job.
You're right. A smaller gun would not really solve anything, if the person just didn't practice at all still anyways. They are going to suck regardless and smaller caliber and lighter recoiling gun is only going to very slightly increase their ability.

Exactly….maybe cut a few luxuries out of the pack and substitute it for heavier rifle. I won’t compromise on glass or my rifle…period.

My teenage girls shoot a 300 nmi and can spot their own impacts at 400yds.

The men country has gotten soft. Its carrying over into the hunting community.
Robert D Raeford had a term he used for the men turning soft. He called it the Chickification of America

Just so everyone is aware, you can also find tons of videos like this as well. Smaller bullet. Further distance. Bigger animal. Faster death.

I just think animals and their reactions are unique more so to themselves than the caliber… but possibly not bullet construction. As clearly seen in the comparison between the two videos.

715 yards, 147 ELDM. Enough gun? On his feet for 26 seconds. Large enough bull? Maybe this one wasn’t tough? Maybe the ELDM’s are better?

It’s at least important to admit and acknowledge that heavy for caliber, fragmenting bullets, even of smaller calibers create a wound large enough to kill anything here pretty easily. This shows that plain as day.

There’s always an argument for poor shot placement of course.

I can see why they only have 648 subscribers….

Is anyone from this forum, part of this group posting these videos?

Huntnful…are you part of these videos?

Depends on the guy.

Grew up shooting a lightweight 30-06. Killed a lot of animals but also made quite a few bad shots, some misses, etc. I was a one box of shells per year guy mostly because it was not a fun rifle to shoot. I probably shot 500 rounds at most over roughly 10 years.

Fast forward to when I grew a man bun and decided I wanted to learn long range..now I shoot my creedmoor family (plus a 223) a lot. Not as many as some guys but a 2-3k rounds a year. I am a much, much better shooter. Definitely would not have done that with any kind of magnum. I still sometimes hunt with the 30-06 but do not enjoy shooting it whatsoever..